DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-03-2015, 01:32 AM

Default Help me identify this snare

Hi all,

I am looking for a snare, comb through my local classifieds each day. This one came up today, and I'm wondering if anybody can help me identify it. It looks a lot like a Slingerland Krupa Sound King to me. They want $75 for it, including the stand and case. It looks to be in decent, shape, I would of course see it in person first, but its a ways a way from me, so I'd hate to drive out there if it's not worth seeing.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2015, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Help me identify this snare

Quote:
Originally Posted by iostream View Post
Hi all,

I am looking for a snare, comb through my local classifieds each day. This one came up today, and I'm wondering if anybody can help me identify it. It looks a lot like a Slingerland Krupa Sound King to me. They want $75 for it, including the stand and case. It looks to be in decent, shape, I would of course see it in person first, but its a ways a way from me, so I'd hate to drive out there if it's not worth seeing.

Thanks,
Steve

Welcome to the forum.

That looks like a student kit. 4 beads on a steel shell. Lugs look generic. You can find a lot of these 'CB700' style drums at goodwill, and they typically sell for the price of the case they come with ($25).
Old 04-03-2015, 02:38 AM

Hi KamaK,

Thanks for the reply, and the welcome.

I thought it was just a junky student snare, as well, at first. But if you look closer, it's three beads, not four, which (from what I have read) for Slingerland indicates chrome over brass, which jibes with the Krupa Sound King. The snare strainer looks suspiciously like a Slingerland strainer. The vent hold to the left of the strainer would be where the missing Slingerland oval badge should be, but it could have been lost. It's 8 lugs, which would jibe with the Krupa Sound King 14x5. The more I look at it, and look at other pictures of the Krupa Sound King snares, the more I think that's what it is. Again, I could be (probably am) wrong. :-D If you see something obvious that points to it being something else, please point it out.

If it is, in fact a Krupa Sound King, then unless it's in terrible shape, I would think $75 would be a pretty great deal, but I might be missing something.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-03-2015, 03:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iostream View Post
Hi KamaK,
But if you look closer, it's three beads, not four, which (from what I have read) for Slingerland indicates chrome over brass, which jibes with the Krupa Sound King.
Thanks,
Steve
After looking at the lugs, you might be right. I've seen Slingerland with that case/stand as well..

On the GK model, the badge is one left of the strainer, followed by the muffle knob. Really looks like a Slingerland though.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2015, 03:17 AM

I've gone through my Slingerland catalogues. (Quite a few - and they are all listed on http://www.drumarchive.com/ ) Interestingly, my 1964, 65 & 67 catalogues show the 130 snare both without (Outfit 9N), and with (Outfit 20N), beads in the shell. I'd never noticed that before.

The No50K snare kit was released in 1968/9 that contained a 130 model, so the precedent is there for this to possibly be what you think it is.

Personally, I'd ask for a pic of the strainer, as the logo will be embossed, but if you think of it, for $75 it's worth the punt anyway.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the catalogs, gaz, that's a great resource. I am going to see the drum tomorrow early evening. Here's another picture where the strainer is more visible and the muffler knob is visible. It's really hard to see if the strainer is a Zoomatic because of the quality, but it doesn't look like any other Slingerland strainer to me.

I'll be perusing those Slingerland catalogs to prepare myself for the visit.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Not a slingerland,just a MIJ copy.The rims on a slingy should be stick saver,curved in toward the shell,not away like those rims are..The lines on the shell are also much more subtle,and fine.Also,there's no badge........not worth 75.The strainer could be a zoomatic...or a rapid strainer.The zoomatic will be stamped..slingerland.

Steve B
Old 04-03-2015, 07:17 PM

The more I look at those beads, the more I think you're right, it's an MIJ. Blarg, thought I might have the opportunity to score a sweet deal. I'll still go look at it, but with much lowered expectations.

Thanks, everybody, for your help.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:24 AM

Just got back from looking at this snare, and it's definitely a steel made in Japan student grade snare. Not a bad one, in good shape, with a pretty decent sound, but not what I'm looking for. I only have a certain amount of drum equipment that can come into our tiny house, so I have to choose carefully, otherwise I would have maybe offered $25. :-D

Thanks again for everybody's help.

Steve