DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:07 AM

Default Is Drum inventory low where you live?

The big stores (Memphis, Portsmouth, Forks) seem to have a good selection of nicer kits on hand, local stores (even GC, Sam Ashe) have nothing above beginner or lower end kits. As far as snare drums....80% metal snare drums...20% lower end wood snares. I snagged a Tama SLP Walnut a while back at GC. Easily the best snare at the store. Cymbals are a mixed bag at various stores. However, I generally find a cymbal I am interested in somewhere close. I know it's difficult to move $2500 and higher drum sets. Plus, floor space is at a premium.

When people ask about new drums on the forum, the common response is something like "why ask everyone...go out and play some to see what you like". Well...thats all sounds great if you live near one of the big drum retail outlets.

I'm seriously thinking of a Starclassic series set. I was favoring DW performance series drums..since I was able to play a couple locally (months ago). I liked them quite a bit. Nothing by Tama locally except a used Imperial star set. I have played Tama drums in the past.....but I was not shopping. The Tamas sound fantastic on the videos...but you know how that goes.

I guess a road trip is probably the best option when shopping for a new drum set. However, i like to play them...go home, think, compare, etc.

Guitar players have it really good.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Is Drum inventory low where you live?

What inventory?

We have to visit private owners. Ask to try after a gig ets...

Though there are two high end guitar stores, one just 4 hours away, it's open a couple of days a week and owned by well to do people who don't need to make money. Limited inventory, though. One of each type of instrument they have. So, guitars are the same.

I'll usually see a Benny Greb snare simply because he's en vogue and that drum is somewhat reasonably priced.

Drum kits are Catalinas, Safaris, Stage Customs... If there's a high end kit it's probably because someone ordered it and couldn't pay, so the store is trying to help move it.

There's a small local store here that has a Live Custom and Absolute Hybrid, but that's the only two kits in the store. That's more about the guy who works there who's a Yamaha fan wants to entertain himself a bit.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:57 AM
Silver Member

I have no good music shops where I live, but I have it good because I have a lot of friends who have great kits. A friend of mine has a starclassic kit that I get to play a lot. Another friend just bought a new sakae kit that I haven't been able to play yet but I'm looking forward to it. I also have a buddy who has a nice high end DW kit and a very nice sounding PDP kit too. The churches around here also have great kits, like vintage Ludwig kits and I've got to play on a C&C kit also. And a local studio has a nice vintage rogers kit and a Gretsch Usa custom that I bug them to let me play on every chance I get

There's probably a lot of great kits around where you live, you just have to make friends with the local talent
Old 04-29-2018, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
I have no good music shops where I live, but I have it good because I have a lot of friends who have great kits. A friend of mine has a starclassic kit that I get to play a lot. Another friend just bought a new sakae kit that I haven't been able to play yet but I'm looking forward to it. I also have a buddy who has a nice high end DW kit and a very nice sounding PDP kit too. The churches around here also have great kits, like vintage Ludwig kits and I've got to play on a C&C kit also. And a local studio has a nice vintage rogers kit and a Gretsch Usa custom that I bug them to let me play on every chance I get

There's probably a lot of great kits around where you live, you just have to make friends with the local talent
I say you are right. You mention Sakae, The drum store here actually had 3 or 4 nice kits a couple years back. Now nothing since Sakae, I believe, has had business issues.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:43 AM
Gold Member

I am fortunate, and I have a small chain in my region that has plenty of inventory.

But - I haven't purchased full kits there. There just are too many options on the universe, and I have purchased my kits online. But, I support the local chain with purchases of everything else - hardware, sticks, heads, etc.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
What inventory?

We have to visit private owners. Ask to try after a gig ets...

Though there are two high end guitar stores, one just 4 hours away, it's open a couple of days a week and owned by well to do people who don't need to make money. Limited inventory, though. One of each type of instrument they have. So, guitars are the same.

I'll usually see a Benny Greb snare simply because he's en vogue and that drum is somewhat reasonably priced.

Drum kits are Catalinas, Safaris, Stage Customs... If there's a high end kit it's probably because someone ordered it and couldn't pay, so the store is trying to help move it.

There's a small local store here that has a Live Custom and Absolute Hybrid, but that's the only two kits in the store. That's more about the guy who works there who's a Yamaha fan wants to entertain himself a bit.

Guitar selection is really good here (I also play guitar). I'm not saying it's "Nashville Good" but lots of options. The GC here is probably the best one I've been to with mid to higher end acoustic and electrics. A bit too heavy on the "relic" stuff in the high end electric room. Nice selection of high end Gibson, Martin and Taylor acoustics that are on locking hooks. However, I've never had an issue getting them unlocked and leaving me alone. Plus, we have a few locally owner guitar and bluegrass shops that have the big names and boutique names. I guess it's all about where one lives and what moves off the shelves.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

Drum inventory is pretty high where I live. There's 6 kits, a dozen snares and probably 60 cymbals in the basement.

Ba-dum, Psssshhhh!
Old 04-29-2018, 03:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Have a GC and Sam Ash about 15-20 min away. Went in both for the first time in a few months at the end of March and the selection was ebismal. Hardly any kits at all and like you said were pretty low end. Sam Ash had considerably less than GC and that's not saying much at all.

My guess is the overhead is getting to be too much and people aren't spending money on higher end kits. Online ordering has definitely put a hurt on retailers with brick and mortar stores, people have more buying options now. There ar also more and more players buying used gear as well to save money.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:39 AM
Silver Member

There is a drum shop about 50 miles away. I've never been there.

The local shops have cheap stuff such as $ 15 cymbals.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

The lack of local inventory, wherever "local" happens to be is irrelevant. Here's why:

1. We buy what we think we want, based on a combination of budget, kit appearance and acquired opinion. We acquire opinions on forums such as this and by interactions with other drummers. If you keep your BS filter well tuned, you'll do OK. If you've put some effort into finding out about the tonal characteristics of the kit you're lusting after, you'll prolly be happy with it.

2. It really doesn't matter which kit you buy. Between head choice, tuning choice and your playing style, you will end up sounding like "you" anyway. This is not to say that you won't be able to sound better on a high end kit than on an entry level kit, just that the difference will not be earth shattering. Beyond some very low level, it's all about the player, not the gear.

Enjoy your new kit!
Old 04-29-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
The lack of local inventory, wherever "local" happens to be is irrelevant. Here's why:

1. We buy what we think we want, based on a combination of budget, kit appearance and acquired opinion. We acquire opinions on forums such as this and by interactions with other drummers. If you keep your BS filter well tuned, you'll do OK. If you've put some effort into finding out about the tonal characteristics of the kit you're lusting after, you'll prolly be happy with it.

2. It really doesn't matter which kit you buy. Between head choice, tuning choice and your playing style, you will end up sounding like "you" anyway. This is not to say that you won't be able to sound better on a high end kit than on an entry level kit, just that the difference will not be earth shattering. Beyond some very low level, it's all about the player, not the gear.

Enjoy your new kit!
True, but in the same vain it's the driver, not the car yet we don't all want to drive a Corolla...

Dutch
Old 04-29-2018, 06:23 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I have a GC and Sam Ash about 20 minutes away and a local shop about 5 minutes away. This is where I attend a ton of clinics. The manager is a drummer so the drum section is usually well stocked. The guitar section is never ending.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:04 PM
Gold Member

Ive got GC and MAD drum shop within 15 mins of me, pretty good selection of stuff.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

The only "music stores" in my town are pawn shops. I think the same drum gear gets bought and sold by the same group of drummers over and over again. For example, there's been a yellow set of Pearl Exports that have been floating around the shops for 25 years or so.

A buddy of mine used to work at one of them and told me this: People come in and want to look at and play the nice equipment, but they always buy the cheapest guitars and amps.

Our closest GC or Sam Ash is about 2 hours away (if you don't hit traffic).
Old 05-03-2018, 01:00 AM
Gold Member

Seven GCs and one Sam Ash within 100 miles. Rich community, working class, good part of town, bad, makes no difference. Same inventory, same obnoxious players beating stuff to a pulp and the usual overpriced or garbage used gear. I have gotten lucky a few times when someone actually traded in something decent but was on police hold, so I had to wait. That's about it.

We used to have two decent mom and pop shops about 20 miles away, but one is an online store only now and the other stripped their drum inventory down y 80%. He can still get good stuff and beat the big box store prices, but you won't get to see it in the store anymore.

The wrong instrument to have chosen I suppose. We still have quite a few nice guitar shops in town.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:41 AM

I live under 2 hours drive from Portsmouth so that's where I go. There's also Boston Drum Center in Acton which is a little over an hour. But as far as general music stores, they don't focus on anything but entry level for drums. One store I know of is even liquidating all their drum stuff and doing away with the drum department. I don't even depend on stores like this to have heads or a pair of sticks.

Now until about 2001 there was a great local music store that was run by two drummers, so the drum department was huge and they sold a wide range of things from entry level to pro. But like a lot of mom and pop stores, they couldn't compete with musician's friend (this was pre amazon) and they were forced out of business. It was sad.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:32 PM

I get that actual drum sets tie up lots of inventory space. Even the snare drum selection here is terrible. I'm not expecting a great selection of $1000 and higher snares. It's mostly the cheaper $199 stuff...which I guess is the big seller. Guitar Center, of course (they own), has numerous Orange Percussion snares always at big discounts. Plus, 75% is metal snares. I guess much of that may be for school band buyers, etc.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:37 PM

I'm blessed that I have a locally owned store that carries a few hard to get brands (Ayotte, Taye etc.) and can sit behind them after talking with the store owner about music, gigs and the like.
She carries sticks that are hard to find commercially (like Regal Tip) so I can go in there and try them out.

I worry though as business for her has been on the downslide & I hope she can weather this lack of music shops over online retail. She knows her stuff & it's a refreshing change from the usual lack of a drum tech at places like GC & Sam Ass.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:02 PM

I was in Sam Ash Music in Glendale AZ last week. They had a decent sized drum selection. A few used kits of different stripes, including a Slingerland 5 piece (stacked on a shelf, not set up), quite a few low end kits and a few intermediate kits (Gretsch, Ludwig, PDP) and a couple of higher end DW and Yamaha kits.

I'm sure, as with most retail, brick and mortar stores are having a hard time competing with online sales. We have 5 Guitar Centers in the Phoenix area, 1 Sam Ash, and very few independent stores left.
Ludwig | Meinl | Atlas | DW
Old 06-14-2018, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

I live almost exactly equidistant between Seattle and Spokane. There are several Guitar Centers on the west side, Ted Brown (a regional music chain) plus Donn Bennett's five star shop. Spokane has at least one Guitar Center, i think. We have two mom-and-pop stores here, one of which is a Pearl, Yamaha, Mapex and Roland dealer, the other (which I don't use due to their sky-high prices, horrible selection, and completely unhelpful staff) sells Tama and Gretsch. Yakima, which is about 75 miles away, has a Ted Brown which stocks Mapex, DW, PDP, and Tama (and maybe others).

Where we really hurt locally is in the used gear market. If you have a lower-tier kit, like an Export or Stage Custom, there's few takers locally, unless you're lucky enough to find a younger drummer who persisted through the beginner phase and actually wants to keep playing but has outgrown his Fender Starcaster set.

For the amount I would spend on my next kit, you may be sure I will drive to try it out, probably to Donn's.