DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:46 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default How long have you been in your working band?

I'm interested in hearing other's experiences. It occurs to me that I have been in the same main band for 8 years now. I just shake my head in amazement over that. I used to be in multiple bands but that got to be too much, so I went with quality over quantity.

How about you guys? For those who have been in a band a long time, how much/fast does your repertoire change? My band is glacially slow, but not completely stagnant there. I am forced to find new ways to freshen up the way I've been playing the same songs, which are getting a little long in the tooth.

Which is challenging so it's all good. Still there are frustrations being involved with the same people, but for me, there's way more good (the music) than bad (the personalities)

So feel free to babble on about your short, medium, or long term playing situation with the same group of people. The good and the bad.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: How long have you been in your working band?

Since 1986............
Old 05-19-2018, 11:53 PM

Five years this weekend.

A full summer of fun scheduled. The best part is how we all get along and just have fun. That, more than anything, keeps a band together. Cause it sure isn't the songs we've played 200+ times haha
Old 05-19-2018, 11:53 PM
Gold Member

My previous band situation I think I was in for 4 years or so.

Took a break. Now back, and I have only been with the band 6 months or so, with gigs that just started. Hard to predict the future on it. Nice bunch of people, but I see that everyone has been in a bunch of things in the past, so I don't know what kind of longevity we will achieve.

Ideally, I'd like to be in two light but different situations that add up to me playing pretty often. Definitely not playing enough right now.

If you have held a single band together for 8 years, that's great. What I learned the hard way when I left my previous situation was - how long it would take to find another. Took me a Long time to find a productive situation. Too long.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:54 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I have a few long-term associations, more than 37 years with Rip Masters, and almost 38 with Weird Al. But I have a good history with my newer bands - 15 years with Jimi Lee, 13 years with Idle Hands, and 7 years with Zero G Band.

Repertoire varies with each, some integrate new songs more regularly than others.

Bermuda

Last edited by bermuda; 05-20-2018 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

Coming up on 8 years since I first joined the Michael Carlos Band, never mind that I took a break from 2012 to 2016. 2016 was also when I joined my covers band Velvet Elvis (now thankfully renamed to the 509s). Have been playing drums at the same church since 2011.

Was in the Army for 20 years, which cuts down on your ability to be in a band long-term - I was never anywhere for more than three years at a stretch.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:02 AM
Silver Member

One of the bands that I'm maybe we've been together 12 years. Another band 8 years. The newest band has only been together about 3 months but gets a lot of gigs.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:50 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
So feel free to babble on about your short, medium, or long term playing situation with the same group of people. The good and the bad.
I'm past the 8 year mark with Fired Up too Larry, although there have been lineup changes in the last year (new singer 1 year ago, & new bassist in recent weeks). Changes are good though, as the band moves forward each time. I'm looking forward to the next phase - it's showing much promise :)
Old 05-20-2018, 03:42 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm looking forward to the next phase - it's showing much promise :)
I'm getting a hunch that there's something pretty cool you have up your sleeve.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

My longest stint with the same band is my current 'main' gig of 14 years (I play with 3-4 bands).

We have always valued friendship and not being dicks over everything else.
We added a 5th member two years ago; our sound man (also not a dick) became our keyboard player, while still doing sound duties, along with me.

[14 CREW]
Old 05-20-2018, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

I joined this group in 1995, my previous band went from 1984 - 1995. It's fun, nice group of guys and helped me get two daughters through college. I'm grateful. www.reminisants.com check us out :-)
Old 05-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

20 years with my main cover band. A few other projects along the way, usually for 3-4 years.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:45 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I'm getting a hunch that there's something pretty cool you have up your sleeve.
A long way up the sleeve Larry - quite a journey to undertake first, starting with getting the new bassist up to speed before tackling the new direction :)
Old 05-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
My longest stint with the same band is my current 'main' gig of 14 years (I play with 3-4 bands).

We have always valued friendship and not being dicks over everything else.
We added a 5th member two years ago; our sound man (also not a dick) became our keyboard player, while still doing sound duties, along with me.
That not-being-a-d*ck attribute is a very important bandmate attribute, isn't it?
:)

Band success and longevity is never about having the greatest musicians. It's about good musicians, with great work ethic, maturity, team player attitude, and a sense of humor.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

-7 days. I was pretty sore about the first couple, but I'm more than over it now. Front man decided to nuke the band on the last day of his honeymoon.

I might be resurrecting an act I was in for 3-4 years that split 2 years ago. We lost a member and the fire was dying (and most of us had other projects going on), so we called it a day. Now, all of those projects are gone or soon to be, and the itch returns.

I envy those of you who have been able to get solid work over longer time periods.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calan View Post
I envy those of you who have been able to get solid work over longer time periods.
Same here. When I left my previous band, I didn't think it would take so long to find my way back to something productive. It took me Years, with several failed attempts along the way. Taught me a lesson I won't forget.
[going forward, I will stick with a less than optimal situation - for the sake of playing]
Old 05-20-2018, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

6ish years with the current band.

I'm lucky we were good mates before and are still good mates. We do what we do as a financial transaction and we stopped taking ourselves seriously a long time ago. Me and my guitarist had a good grounding doing pubs and clubs in our teens so weddings and functions are a walk in the park.

It's always nice to have a network of musos who are mates so dep work comes up for you or them
Old 05-20-2018, 11:51 PM

Nearly nine years... don't put in nearly enough new songs imo,although every time we do someone always complains we left out their favourite to fit them in! It can be a bit boring at times but playing the same stuff every week certainly makes for a tight unit.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:55 PM

4 1/2 years in my current band. Funny thing is, I've known 2 of the guys for over 20 years, known 1 guy for 16 years, and never met the bass player (Donny) until I joined the band. However Donny and I have become the best of friends; he and his wife often hang out with me and my wife and kids. We've helped each other with construction projects and landscaping/tree cutting, etc. He and his wife are more like family now than friends; hell, my in laws invite them to their house all the time as well! It's a wonderful thing to be in a band with people you genuinely like and care about, and that feel the same about you and yours.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

I think I just started year 3 with current band. We don't play out nearly as much as we should.

I've been playing at my current church for a little over 8 years.

I just got a call last week for a band that wants me to come and play some of the bigger gigs with them. That should be a lot of fun!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:13 AM

I think its 4 years now, maybe 5.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

21 with one, 5 with the other

F
Old 05-23-2018, 12:54 AM

Main band for about 12 years - only do about 15 gigs a year, but we jam quie a bit. All covers, and our repertoire has shifted over time as there are so many songs we'd want to have a go at.

Quote:
For those who have been in a band a long time, how much/fast does your repertoire change?
In terms of how the set has evolved, we've built up a list of ~250 songs we've done in public at least once. There's a core of songs we'll almost always play, depending on the setting, but even these have shifted somewhat over time.

Two other bands I play with (one covers, one originals) are on 'indefinite hiatus', to use a well-worn cliché! The originals-band formed in 1995, and they're still three of my closest friends, just not all in the same country (and we can't properly remember how to play the songs we wrote)!
Old 05-23-2018, 12:12 PM
Gold Member

4 years.

Our bass player is a cop and his shift work has held us back immensely. I think we could have done really well given the feedback we get generally. We've never been able to take things to a higher levels.

Unfortunately he's a good friend and, despite the challenges (ie. our inability to do so many gigs we are offered), none of us will make the tough decision required.

I guess it's to our credit we put friendship above the band but also think that we're lucky we're hobbyists rather than fully professional musos.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:16 PM

Three years. It seems longer in a good way because we've done tons of gigs. All James Brown and associated James Brown, so some JB's tunes and some Bobby Byrd, Maceo Parker and Fred Wesley solo tunes.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:36 PM

3 years with Dirty Dice/AJ's Rockabilly Ruckus. I've been a hired gun for a few bands in between which I like a lot.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

1.5 years.....4 years in a band before that, and 4 years in a band before that.
I envy these people who have been in same band so long, you know everybody's habits and it must work like clockwork.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:14 PM

Hi Guys. I've been in my working covers band over four years, only myself and the singer are from the format I joined. Think we have changed members more often than material though!
We have a 70s, an 80s and a party set, which have changed very little over time, as the songs work, which means that we don't have to rehearse much we just gig regularly so it is quite routine and clockwork, this is good though as it mostly means I can relax and just enjoy playing 😊
Old 06-04-2018, 04:33 PM
Gold Member

If by "working" you mean a band that makes money then the answer is ... I havnt been in a band that made money in a decade. If by working you mean writing, performing and recording ... then I have been in my current band for 6 years.

During that time we have been through 3 singers, 4 bassists and even tried adding another guitarist at one point. But the guitarist and I have been together under the same band name for 6 years. We still havnt found the exact right singer yet, but living in the middle of nowhere as we do guys who want to play the kind of music we do are hard to come by. Eventually the right guy will come along, but for now we have a great performer who lacks in vocal ability but makes up for it in stage presence.

We are not prolific songwriters, I would say we add a new song to the set about once every 3 months. We are not in a hurry, so we take our time and make sure the song is the best it can be before we call it done and play it to an audience.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:45 PM

14 years and counting. The band itself has been together for 35 years and show no signs of slowing down from 85+ gigs a year.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blisco View Post
The best part is how we all get along and just have fun. That, more than anything, keeps a band together. Cause it sure isn't the songs we've played 200+ times haha
About 3 and a half years for me. We try to get together outside of gigs and practice just to hang out and enjoy each other's company. In every band I've played with I think having a good relationship personally helps the music, not to mention a fun stage vibe helps the audience enjoy your show.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:36 PM

A hundred and one days, six practices, two shows and a paltry hundred bucks.

Originally, I agreed to play only with them, but that's not going to work any more. Two of them don't seem to put much effort into anything.

They show up half an hour before the band's supposed to start a gig and disappear while the 70 year-old keyboard player is still loading gear in the trailer (some of which they use) at 2:30 a.m.

Gtr player learns songs while we're at practice... can't be bothered to do it on his time. I hope they're not surprised when I find other people to play with!