DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 05:23 AM

Default Show your kits that I don't know about

Ok, so I'm 17 yrs old and obsessed with drums. I spend most of my time scavenging the internet for weird drum sets and new snares to envy. So to save me time, show me your kits that are kind of rare that I am might not know about. For an example I spent a couple hours the other day researching mapex's deep forest kits. Show (limited editions, discontinued, or stuff that's just not the norm). Please nothing within the past 7 years. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Show your kits that I don't know about

The pearl north, the trixon squished bass drum, the peavey radial pro, staccato drums and their trouser-kick, sherwood drums, the spacer snare, ocheltree drums, that rotodrum tambourine sandwich snare, guru drums, the sjc snare-within-a-snare, monolith drums, trick drums, the rims purecussion headset, spirit drums, whitney drums, etc.

There's more, but that's a good chunk of the weird/unique/rare/different stuff out there, at least the well-known stuff. Not including any boring conventionally-constructed drums that might be rare or desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankowske View Post
I am the best drummer in the world.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:28 PM

Drum trivia for 70 points

Wow Jankowske, I am impressed. i am 62, never heard of half of those...
Old 03-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

My 'air brand' drums are truly unique.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:42 PM

Very cool jankowske, Thanks! I've seen most of those some time or other. When you say "pearl north" do you mean that north drums are by pearl? If so that would actually make sense of a lot of things.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:50 PM

What I'm really looking for is less towards oddities, more towards kits by popular brands that kind of went missing and not many people know about. Limited edition kits tend to do this because of what little number of them are made. I like to see these things because of course, being how young I am, I like to know how the larger companies evolved into what they are today and what they use to offer that might have sparked change in another company.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:38 AM

On second thought, I have no idea why I thought that pearl and north had anything to do with each other. I thought pearl acquired them at some point, but the wikipedia tells me that MTI made them at some point, and there is no mention of pearl. My bad.

If you're looking for rare normal kits, the dw timeless timber set comes to mind, made from wood recovered from the bottom of lake superior. Or maybe Lars's signature kit...who else had a signature kit? Can't think of much else at the moment that's not relatively new. I'll have to dig through my old MDs to see what was cool in the 90's. I know all the old timers on here are holding back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankowske View Post
I am the best drummer in the world.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:00 AM

Yah, my friend actually just sold a timeless timber kit cause you couldn't walk in his house (to many gorgeous kits) and his wife made him sell a bunch. It was one of the ones with the floral patterns on it, a real beaut. But now he paid off his house soooo....and his band really only calls for 4 or 5 piece sets too.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:10 PM

Two Sonors, firstly the Sonor Signature SE, which was a 12 ply maple version of the Signature with hi gloss shells. lovely looking things and rare now.

Secondly the Sonor Jet Set, which was by some margin the most expensive kit of its day (the snare drum stand was $3000, as an idea). It was a maple Signature again, but with a unique transparent hi gloss black stain and real 24k gold plated hardware, all of it, tension rods, hoops, stands, lugs, the lot. Retailed for roughly $50000 as a kit in 1992 and there was one on display in Harrods in London that I remember seeing, a thing of beauty. Only a few out of the proposed total of 50 were ever made.

They also made most of the Signature snare drums, including the Holy Grail HLD 590 bronze drum, with 24k gold plate hardware as opposed to the standard copper or chrome, for a short period, and I have a bubinga Signature snare drum that has some parts from a Jet Set snare mechanism on it.

I have a picture, which I was sent on the condition that I didn't share it, of a collector's drum room that has about 30 of these Jet Set snares all in pristine condition. My jaw hit the floor when I saw it.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Old 03-17-2015, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
lolololololololololol
Old 03-18-2015, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Why do you want to save time,I'm now 60,and I still learn something every day.There are HUNDREDS of brands out there as well as hundreds of percussion products and hardware.Take you're time......and BTW,nobody knows them all .

Steve B
Old 03-18-2015, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Check out the Sabian/DW Edge snare that they made a year or two back. Those are really beautiful drums, the bearing edges are made from Sabian B20 bronze. Only 50 were made.

http://www.sabian.com/en/article/sab...-edition-snare
Old 03-18-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Why do you want to save time,I'm now 60,and I still learn something every day.There are HUNDREDS of brands out there as well as hundreds of percussion products and hardware.Take you're time......and BTW,nobody knows them all .

Steve B
I really just want to see what other people know, if something saves me time and gets the job done better; why waste time doing it another way :)
Old 03-18-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegums View Post
Check out the Sabian/DW Edge snare that they made a year or two back. Those are really beautiful drums, the bearing edges are made from Sabian B20 bronze. Only 50 were made.
That is a perty drum. Sabian is really the only cymbal company I use; I wonder how I never heard about this?
Old 03-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jziegler319 View Post
I really just want to see what other people know, if something saves me time and gets the job done better; why waste time doing it another way :)
Because,you need to learn the facts ...about a certain drum makers, models,build quality...on your own.You also need to try it on for size.And the most important fact is ...the internet , on the ,contrary is NOT the ultimate source of the total of mans knowledge.There's TONS of misinformation out there,and actually speaking to guys who have drumming ,as well as buying and selling.....will net you ...accaurate ,,experienced information

Saving time isn't what it's about.....investing time.....IS.You can't earn a college degree in a few days.Do the work.

Steve B
Old 03-19-2015, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Ok, so I'm 17 yrs old and obsessed with drums. I spend most of my time scavenging the internet for weird drum sets and new snares to envy. So to save me time, show me your kits that are kind of rare that I am might not know about. For an example I spent a couple hours the other day researching mapex's deep forest kits. Show (limited editions, discontinued, or stuff that's just not the norm). Please nothing within the past 7 years. Thanks!
http://stonecustomdrum.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Nl...ature=youtu.be

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 03-19-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Because,you need to learn the facts ...about a certain drum makers, models,build quality...on your own.You also need to try it on for size.And the most important fact is ...the internet , on the ,contrary is NOT the ultimate source of the total of mans knowledge.There's TONS of misinformation out there,and actually speaking to guys who have drumming ,as well as buying and selling.....will net you ...accaurate ,,experienced information

Saving time isn't what it's about.....investing time.....IS.You can't earn a college degree in a few days.Do the work.

Steve B
I still don't really see the problem in asking what other people have learned who have been studying this for longer than I have. Why do I have to do it on my own? If you mind helping me out so much, then dont, there are plenty of others who want to. Plus its not like I have access to countless sets of rare drum kits that other people might have seen in real life. Since the internet isn't the most trustable resource, that's why I'm asking you.

Also, I'm wondering why saving time is a bad thing now too. If you can do the same job and get the same results, why waste time (which is a bad thing in my book)

Last edited by jziegler319; 03-19-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:

Steve B
If you can't say something nice...people get so personal on here. LOL. Either respond to what the OP wants or don't. I was a total nerd at 17 and loved researching before I could on the internet. I would go ant get catalog after catalog and drool. Half of any hobby is admiration.

To OP: I would say look at Fibes. They made some great kits back in the day. Cheers!
Old 03-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistalker View Post
If you can't say something nice...people get so personal on here. LOL. Either respond to what the OP wants or don't. I was a total nerd at 17 and loved researching before I could on the internet. I would go ant get catalog after catalog and drool. Half of any hobby is admiration.

To OP: I would say look at Fibes. They made some great kits back in the day. Cheers!
How was I not saying something nice?I did respond to what the OP wanted.....do the research...it's NOT a waist of time,to actually seek the info you want,you'll learn much more that way.Why should I just tell you everything I know,which took me years to accumulate,if you're to impatient to do at least ...SOME of the work yourself.Why not ask for reference books,or websites where the experts contribute their knowledge and experience,and get some REAL info?

Sometimes information is consealed in books.....you know....books,that are hidden in places like librarys...That's where most of the real info is,and if talking to experts,and reading a book is a waist of time.....then what else is so important.

Lots of the info on the web,is regurgited misinformation,hence.......useless.Ask 100 different guys,get 100 different answers.That's getting accurate info?

Example: statement...early 60's Ludwig shells are all maple.100% incorrect.Typical ply layup was mahogany/poplar/mahogany.....unless the outer ply was duco or a stain finish,then it was a maple outer ply....only.Late 60's early to mid 70's maple/poplar/maple.Ludwig didn't use an all maple shell till the 80's

Example: a kick drum is called a kick drum ,because early bass drums were kicked with the foot.100% incorrect.They were played with a beater,buy a seperate drummer,till the foot pedal was invented.The term Kick,was given to the bass drum( yes ,it's a bass drum),buy studio engineers,to differenciate from the bass guitar on a mixing board input.

You can't POSSIBLY gleen a fraction of accurate info,by simply asking one question...that's simply a fact.Just trying to set the kid straight,and most WILL take that advice.

I could give tons of examples,but.......I don't want to waist MY time.I already put in the work .Hey Tennis...tell your story walking.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 03-20-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I still don't really see the problem in asking what other people have learned who have been studying this for longer than I have. Why do I have to do it on my own? If you mind helping me out so much, then dont, there are plenty of others who want to. Plus its not like I have access to countless sets of rare drum kits that other people might have seen in real life. Since the internet isn't the most trustable resource, that's why I'm asking you.

Also, I'm wondering why saving time is a bad thing now too. If you can do the same job and get the same results, why waste time (which is a bad thing in my book)
There isn't problem dude. This guy can be pretty condescending.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
How was I not saying something nice?I did respond to what the OP wanted.....do the research...it's NOT a waist of time,to actually seek the info you want,you'll learn much more that way.Why should I just tell you everything I know,which took me years to accumulate,if you're to impatient to do at least ...SOME of the work yourself.Why not ask for reference books,or websites where the experts contribute their knowledge and experience,and get some REAL info?

Sometimes information is consealed in books.....you know....books,that are hidden in places like librarys...That's where most of the real info is,and if talking to experts,and reading a book is a waist of time.....then what else is so important.

Lots of the info on the web,is regurgited misinformation,hence.......useless.Ask 100 different guys,get 100 different answers.That's getting accurate info?

You can't POSSIBLY gleen a fraction of accurate info,by simply asking one question...that's simply a fact.Just trying to set the kid straight,and most WILL take that advice.

I could give tons of examples,but.......I don't want to waist MY time.I already put in the work .Hey Tennis...tell your story walking.

Steve B
Wow you're pretty selfish if you have all this glorious info you've gathered over the years but won't help out someone who's just getting their knowledge base started. How the f*** is he supposed to get any knowledge if there's people like you who horde it away and basically tell him to bugger off.

I never got the mentality of being a hard*ss and not helping beginners just because they have less experience then you. Shame on you for being experienced on a subject and turning someone away from learning how they want to. He's clearly making an effort to expand his knowledge and has great enthusiasm for drums.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:

Example: statement...early 60's Ludwig shells are all maple.100% incorrect.Typical ply layup was mahogany/poplar/mahogany.....unless the outer ply was duco or a stain finish,then it was a maple outer ply....only.Late 60's early to mid 70's maple/poplar/maple.Ludwig didn't use an all maple shell till the 80's

Example: a kick drum is called a kick drum ,because early bass drums were kicked with the foot.100% incorrect.They were played with a beater,buy a seperate drummer,till the foot pedal was invented.The term Kick,was given to the bass drum( yes ,it's a bass drum),buy studio engineers,to differenciate from the bass guitar on a mixing board input.

Steve B
K, first of all, you did not respond at all to what I wanted, in no way at all have any of your previous posts had anything to do with showing off rare kits that I have never heard of.
Second of all, like I said: if you don't want to share your "vast knowledge" with me, then don't. I don't really want to hear it from you anyway.
Third of all. You do know that people post things to the internet, and write stuff in books right? So why would it be soo much more correct if they told it to me in person rather than publicising it. Im not saying the internet is never wrong (it is a lot), but people are wrong in person a lot also and it is possible to verify things things with trustable sources.
Fourth of all, you make it sound like this is the only research I have ever done, when in fact I have spent literally around one thousand hours researching drums and what not (45 mins a day for four years).
Fifth of all, someone (I know not you, because that would be to much of your precious, expert time to waste) tell me where in buffalo New York, there is a library or other place with books, with a vast array of old drum company catalogs that I can look at, because I really don't think there is one.
Sixth of all, I never said researching anything was a waste of time. I only said wasting time while doing researching was a waste of time (think about that one).
Seventh, with the examples you gave, if tons of things on the internet are so unreliable, how do I know you are not wrong? I certainly can not check it with the internet cause that might also be inaccurate.
Eighth of all "you can't possibly gleen a fraction of accurate info by asking one question". Well bud, the only way I know how to ask questions is one at a time. Questions do seem like a good way to get answers don't they.
Ninth, you don't have to be such a d**k about it if I actually am wrong.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I never got the mentality of being a hard*ss and not helping beginners just because they have less experience then you. Shame on you for being experienced on a subject and turning someone away from learning how they want to. He's clearly making an effort to expand his knowledge and has great enthusiasm for drums.
I've always loved sharing any knowledge I have with anyone that wants to hear it. I know I grew as a musician and saved endless amounts of time just by asking people that were a lot better than I was about certain things. Like warm up techniques, cool songs to learn, more interesting ways to set up your kit, etc. I don't know anyone that starts off knowing the basics, what hurts to give them a little info and help them get better?

To OP, I love huge drums and have a weird obsession. I'm currently piecing together a fun kit that uses a vintage 28"x14" marching bass drum, a 7"x13" singerland snare, and all marching cymbals (16" vintage zildjian hats and 18" marching crashes) just to have a weird unique kit.

What's wrong with more modern kits? You said nothing in the last 7 years? Are you on a vintage kick?
Old 03-20-2015, 11:30 PM
Administrator - Mayor

We all gain knowledge in different ways. This young man came to a drumming forum, the best forum and asked for some very basic stuff. If you'd like to help, please do. If not try another thread. Thank you.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:40 PM
Silver Member

Arbiter AT (Auto Tune) drums came to mind when I read the OP.

https://youtu.be/UTFhE2nq2rc

http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=3468

Never heard of these till a moment ago: RoTek

https://youtu.be/QoQF9_xTROs
Old 03-20-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobDB View Post
What's wrong with more modern kits? You said nothing in the last 7 years? Are you on a vintage kick?
Oh No, ive just been looking at everything for the past seven years, and not at all to sound like a know it all (cause I certainly don't) but I do know more about modern drums than maybe more older stuff.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsinhisheart View Post
Arbiter AT (Auto Tune) drums came to mind when I read the OP.

https://youtu.be/UTFhE2nq2rc

http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=3468

Never heard of these till a moment ago: RoTek

https://youtu.be/QoQF9_xTROs
Wow those Arbiter drums are cool! props to him for engineering that system.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

I would help you out, but....

... I know nothing.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow you're pretty selfish if you have all this glorious info you've gathered over the years but won't help out someone who's just getting their knowledge base started. How the f*** is he supposed to get any knowledge if there's people like you who horde it away and basically tell him to bugger off.

Wasn't hoarding anything.Just ask the right question.Didn't tell him to bugger off...that's what YOU read into it.I simply pointed out,in a round about way.....the question is WAY to broad.Nobody was turned away here.If you bother to read any of my over 5000 posts,you would see i'm more that willing to help others.

Shame on me...what are you my mother...kiss my a$$.My take on his question is ,he dosen't want to waist his own time,.....well how about asking just what wedsites are inhabited by published experts,and maybe,what books to read on the subject.......and do the work ,just like others have done.Seems like he wants others to do the work for him.......maybe I'm wrong.

Like I said,I have and will bend over backwards to help,and that is qualified by my other responces to questions on this site,validated by my posts.Why not look THAT up,and read my previous posts.

Steve B
Old 03-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
K, first of all, you did not respond at all to what I wanted, in no way at all have any of your previous posts had anything to do with showing off rare kits that I have never heard of.
Second of all, like I said: if you don't want to share your "vast knowledge" with me, then don't. I don't really want to hear it from you anyway.
Third of all. You do know that people post things to the internet, and write stuff in books right? So why would it be soo much more correct if they told it to me in person rather than publicising it. Im not saying the internet is never wrong (it is a lot), but people are wrong in person a lot also and it is possible to verify things things with trustable sources.
Fourth of all, you make it sound like this is the only research I have ever done, when in fact I have spent literally around one thousand hours researching drums and what not (45 mins a day for four years).
Fifth of all, someone (I know not you, because that would be to much of your precious, expert time to waste) tell me where in buffalo New York, there is a library or other place with books, with a vast array of old drum company catalogs that I can look at, because I really don't think there is one.
Sixth of all, I never said researching anything was a waste of time. I only said wasting time while doing researching was a waste of time (think about that one).
Seventh, with the examples you gave, if tons of things on the internet are so unreliable, how do I know you are not wrong? I certainly can not check it with the internet cause that might also be inaccurate.
Eighth of all "you can't possibly gleen a fraction of accurate info by asking one question". Well bud, the only way I know how to ask questions is one at a time. Questions do seem like a good way to get answers don't they.
Ninth, you don't have to be such a d**k about it if I actually am wrong.
Yeah...you're actually wrong.Why not ask about other websites(sorry Mr.Mayor,Drummerworld is probably ,one of the best on the web,but there are a few other sites,that are inhabited by published,peer reviewed experts,who are accepted authorities on the subject.) If you post there,the'll likely press you to be more specific also.

Why not ask about books and resource materials on the subject.Catalogs are available on the web,and books can be had new or used,on Amazon or even Ebay.

Example...google Tama Catalogs,and you'll find info back to when Tama was Star/Hoshino drums in the late 60's.

Example...google Premier or Sonor drums,and you'll find info with catalog pages,specs. and dating procedures.

The same goes for nearly all drum companies.

Google Mike Dolbear...plenty of info there too

Example Google Vintage Drum Forum.More accurate info and catalogs and specs,then on ANY drum forum.(sorry again,but thems the facts)But you better be specific,when asking a question.

Also...on the Drummerworld general discussion page,theres a sticky thread titled "great links for drummers",that has PAGES of links to great info.The info and knowledge you seek is but clicks away.

Now that I've given you some bread crumbs,just visit those places,and the journey to knowledge will begin.THATS what I mean about doing the research.Asking a non specific,open ended question,won't gather much info.

I'm not being a di*k.......but I just feel,you're haven't done any due dilligence.And thanks for the youtube juvenile name calling..I don't believe, I, ..not once....called YOU, ANY names.

You're welcome.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 03-21-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Like I said,I have and will bend over backwards to help...
He will. I am one of those that has bothered Steve relentlessly with all of my stupid questions about vintage drums and specific models and all of this silly crap that he has always been happy to help with. I almost feel like I have taken advantage of his kindness and willingness to help, almost.

So I'll not have these cross words of our beloved Steve. If you must get on him for anything let it be how he and all of NY fold their pizza in half before they eat it. Seriously, what's up with that?

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 03-21-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah...you're actually wrong.Why not ask about other websites(sorry Mr.Mayor,Drummerworld is probably ,one of the best on the web,but there are a few other sites,that are inhabited by published,peer reviewed experts,who are accepted authorities on the subject.) If you post there,the'll likely press you to be more specific also.

Why not ask about books and resource materials on the subject.Catalogs are available on the web,and books can be had new or used,on Amazon or even Ebay.

Example...google Tama Catalogs,and you'll find info back to when Tama was Star/Hoshino drums in the late 60's.

Example...google Premier or Sonor drums,and you'll find info with catalog pages,specs. and dating procedures.

Example Google Vintage Drum Forum.More accurate info and catalogs and specs,then on ANY drum forum.(sorry again,but thems the facts)But you better be specific,when asking a question.

Also...on the Drummerworld general discussion page,theres a sticky thread titled "great links for drummers",that has PAGES of links to great info.The info and knowledge you seek is but clicks away.

Now that I've given you some bread crumbs,just visit those places,and the journey to knowledge will begin.THATS what I mean about doing the research.Asking a non specific,open ended question,won't gather much info.

I'm not being a di*k.......but I just feel,you're haven't done any due dilligence.And thanks for the youtube juvenile name calling..I don't believe, I, ..not once....called YOU, ANY names.

You're welcome.

Steve B
Ok, true story. The name calling was a little stupid and childish but then again I am still a kid, sorry bout that. Whelp, ya live, ya learn! I just didn't really appreciate the sarcasm and derogatory attitude but whatever.
You said to ask about other websites to be more specific with my question, but isn't asking for one kit more specific than a whole website of them, so I'm a little confused about that.
As far as the online catalog thing, I have spent countless hours looking through those (especially tama (my drum of choice(gotta love tama!))) But I was looking for something maybe even more rare that might not be in the catalogs such as my own kit; the star classic maples that have wrapped silk finishes. I know the birch wrapped silk kits were in a catalog at one time but I still can't find my own.
And also real quick, I know I'm still a kid, but you wouldn't believe how much research I have done on drums and how many hours I have put into it. I asked an open ended question cause I wanted an open ended response. However people want to respond; maybe with their unusual or rare kits they have acquired or seen over the years, or again, websites that I maybe haven't been to that might help to bring more knowledge. I had already been to a scavenged through all the ones you listed (except though old premier catalogs(bout to go do that right now)) and thats another reason why I asked for specific kits instead of websites. And this is a website that is "inhabited by published experts" so that should show you that I know of them.

Thanks again!
Old 03-21-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:

You're welcome.

Steve B
...very good advice, if you can get over the "tough love"...imho...
Old 03-21-2015, 11:01 PM

Really this thread is in the wrong place...It is more of a "show off your kit" thread than what I worded it like and where I put it. Sorry for the confusion but I wasn't really looking to learn things so much as I was to see sweet kits and not the same pearl export that I see a lot. I'm not saying I didn't want to learn anything, I knew that would come along, but it was not my main goal.
Thanks, and sorry for the confusion!
Old 03-21-2015, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

NONE of my posts were derogatory or sarcastic.Just HONEST.There is one or two sites ,that will give you info on drums made in China,Japan,Europe,USA,Ausrtalia,Brazil,ect...Noth ing to be confused about.Like I said...you have to be specific........there are TONS of things to be learned.Drums,hardware,cymbals,percussion....ect.

If very specific info you seek on Tama drums,Join the Tama forum(google).Its moderated by Tama,and there are some seroius Tama guys there.They can answer your question.
Thats what I mean..

There are so many things to know ,that you have to be definitive.Open ended questions,will give general,open ended answers,...that's all.And you're back where you started.

You need to go to the places where the members eat,breathe,and sleep with their drums,and know more about them ,then the people who built them.And yes...they do exist.

Our own JohnPloughman,has a great site on Rogers drums,and he's on a few sites,and is most certainly an authority on the subject.

Ask specific questions,or you'll get sloppy answers,by guys who think they may possibly know,buy really don't.Don't settle for that crap.And still,be open to new information.

I've seen long held beliefs ,cast aside with an example or two of a drum that shouldn't exist.I have one of those examples.Go forth and learn ..young Jedi.

Steve B
Old 03-21-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Wasn't hoarding anything.Just ask the right question.Didn't tell him to bugger off...that's what YOU read into it.I simply pointed out,in a round about way.....the question is WAY to broad.Nobody was turned away here.If you bother to read any of my over 5000 posts,you would see i'm more that willing to help others.

Shame on me...what are you my mother...kiss my a$$.My take on his question is ,he dosen't want to waist his own time,.....well how about asking just what wedsites are inhabited by published experts,and maybe,what books to read on the subject.......and do the work ,just like others have done.Seems like he wants others to do the work for him.......maybe I'm wrong.

Like I said,I have and will bend over backwards to help,and that is qualified by my other responces to questions on this site,validated by my posts.Why not look THAT up,and read my previous posts.

Steve B
This thread has been totally derailed by your comments. That to me is not contributing to the conversation. If someone wants advice, why not help them hear what they want, even if it differs from what you feel the need to say? All threads could be for the good of the forum and to benefit the OPs request. I've seen your responses in other threads correcting people's misspellings. That seems like a bully thing to do. If we all think before we type we can just have fun and learn, not constantly have to defend or launch personal attacks.

OP apologized for comments he made in response to your less than nice remarks. Sometimes age doesn't result in people being wise sometimes. Can we please avoid these rants in the future?
Old 03-22-2015, 01:27 AM

No Sarcastic or derogatory comments eh?

"Why should I just tell you everything I know,which took me years to accumulate,if you're to impatient to do at least ...SOME of the work yourself.Why not ask for reference books,or websites where the experts contribute their knowledge and experience,and get some REAL info?"
I didn't ask you to tell me everything you know. You're implying that i haven't done much to any work even though at the time you didnt know what i have done, and now i have stated many times that i have put many, many hours into researching drums.

"Sometimes information is consealed in books.....you know....books,that are hidden in places like librarys...That's where most of the real info is,and if talking to experts,and reading a book is a waist of time.....then what else is so important."
Implying that I don't read or even know what a book or a library is. Also saying how I think talking to experts and reading books is a waste of time (even though i never even brought up books previously). And if i think talking to experts is a waste of time why have I been doing it all this time?

"I could give tons of examples,but.......I don't want to waist MY time"
Oh yeah, cause giving the younger generation examples of something they weren't even around for is such a waste of your precious 3 minutes that it would take.

"Hey Tennis...tell your story walking."
Sounds pretty derogatory to me and then you said "Didn't tell him to bugger off". Oh really cause...yes you did.

"Shame on me...what are you my mother...kiss my a$$"
Also not derogatory at all.

This actually made me laugh out loud.
"I've seen long held beliefs ,cast aside with an example or two of a drum that shouldn't exist.I have one of those examples."
YOU HAVE ONE OF THOSE EXAMPLES??? why didn't you just tell me about it for 2 minutes at the beginning because that's what i was really asking! I'm not gonna "cast aside my beliefs" because i see a weird drum set, i mean what the heck...just what the heck.

That speaks for itself. Maybe i'm just going crazy. Can someone else confirm that what he is saying is derogatory..Oh wait... 5 people already did!!!!! (@tennisstalker @Dre25 @WineGums @GRUNTERSDAD @SingingDrums)
Old 03-22-2015, 01:35 AM

Quote:
There are so many things to know ,that you have to be definitive.Open ended questions,will give general,open ended answers,...that's all.And you're back where you started.
I already made a post stating why i asked an opened ended question so please read before you post.
("I asked an open ended question cause I wanted an open ended response. However people want to respond; maybe with their unusual or rare kits they have acquired or seen over the years, or again, websites that I maybe haven't been to that might help to bring more knowledge. I had already been to a scavenged through all the ones you listed (except though old premier catalogs(bout to go do that right now)) and thats another reason why I asked for specific kits instead of websites. And this is a website that is "inhabited by published experts" so that should show you that I know of them.")

An open ended answer is more than what i stated with.

"You also said You need to go to the places where the members eat,breathe,and sleep with their drums,and know more about them ,then the people who built them.And yes...they do exist."

That's where we are. And don't tell me people on here are all stupid. I saw Freaking Gavin Harrison on yesterday. He just replied to some random thread. If i do get a stupid answer from a stupid person, i verify everything anyway soooo..
Thanks for your time but no thanks for your time :)
Old 03-22-2015, 01:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistalker View Post
I've seen your responses in other threads correcting people's misspellings.
Seriously? That's hilarious...