Lugs and Shells

Jesses

Hello everyone, after 6 or 7 years of playing drums on a generic kit with generic cymbals, dreaming of having better gear, I finally received a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in the mail today. I am so excited to put it together and beginning tuning, but I just wanted to ask a couple of questions beforehand:

Should I let the shells sit for awhile before I begin tuning and seating the heads? I live in a northern part of Ontario, Canada and it is the winter season. I'm just curious if it's not good to get in to that right away after it being Fedex'd to me from Tennessee.

Secondly, should I attempt to tighten the nuts on the lugs inside the drum? Like, is that a normal thing to do after receiving a new drumset?

Thanks!

Yes you should wait a little before putting heads on the drum. OK that's long enough lol. I tighten every bolt almost every time I have the heads off. I would recommend tightening everything and not waiting to put heads on.

You may let them get to room temp. before putting on the heads but I'm not real sure its necessary unless they went from 0 to 32 or so. You have wood, metal and plastic heads all acting differently to the change in temp. By the time you make sure all of the hardware is tight they should be ok. Welcome to the Gretsch Family.

Back