Acrylic Kits

_Mark

If I were to buy an SJC acrylic kit, it's made of RCI Starlite.
If the same kit was purchased in the same sizes from a different company (Ludwig, Phattie, etc) with same bearing edge and hardware, would it sound the same pretty much?

Thanks!
Mark
Ps. Sorry for the dumb question

there is something to be said for craftmanship, time spent making sure bearing edges are perfect...ect so I would say there is a good chance the answer is no...
I have made a stave shell snare with top of the line hardware but would trade it for a brady in a second
also its not a dumb question at all

So if the bearing edges were cut perfectly, it wouldn't make a difference between companies?

If I were to buy an SJC acrylic kit, it's made of RCI Starlite.
If the same kit was purchased in the same sizes from a different company (Ludwig, Phattie, etc) with same bearing edge and hardware, would it sound the same pretty much?

Thanks!
Mark
Ps. Sorry for the dumb question

Phattie also uses all RCI acrylic shells, with the same bearing edge I'm guessing the sound would be closer than your ears could tell apart. 2cents2ya.

I don't think that there would be a noticeable difference in sound either.

when you compare, also consider the shell thickness. that makes a difference. also consider the type of hoops installed, such as triple flanged. 2.3 mm, or die cast. they make a difference in the overall sound.

You can get a custom kit from RCI. I priced some drums from them, not bad at all. I ended up with a 2 70's Vistalites a blue and a chrome-o vistalite on the cheap.

I am however going to get 2 rci shells for complete drums (13 and 16) I have that are cracked badly, and swap the hardware onto the new shells.After that I will get a complete 26 kick from RCI so I will have 2 acrylic kits to mix match in 12 13 15 16 18 22 and 26.

Back