How generous are you when supplying a kit?

Erberderber

I'm supplying the kit at a 3 band gig tomorrow. The only things I don't want anyone else using are the cymbals. I'm going to play one up one down but I have another rack tom, so should I bring that too in case someone wants to use it or am I being overly considerate?

I never let others use my cymbals. If you didn't bring your own, you'll be playing mid 80s Phil Collins style for the night.

I generally tell them they can use my throne and pedals as long as they don't mess with any settings, and I also usually let others use my snare if they haven't been able to bring one. I do let them know in advance that it's probably easier and better for everyone if they bring their own throne, pedals and snare though.

I'm supplying the kit at a 3 band gig tomorrow. The only things I don't want anyone else using are the cymbals. I'm going to play one up one down but I have another rack tom, so should I bring that too in case someone wants to use it or am I being overly considerate?

Way too generous. You're doing them a massive favour by supplying the kit in the first place, if you start pandering to other peoples needs you'll get walked over. If they want their own setup they should bring their own kit. They should be getting you a few beers for your trouble.

I'd include snare and pedal in the list of stuff you don't want people to use. Only takes one shedbuilder and you're out of pocket big time.

If you play one up one down then they can suck it up for a night getting the luxury of not bringing a kit.

Usually the gigs I play are 4 bands with quick change overs so if gear shareing is involved it is discussed a bit first.

Cymbals, pedals, and snare are NEVER included.

It is usually kick, toms, snare stand, hat stand, cymbal stands.

Throne should be discussed. Some guys don't want to share butt sweat. Others don't care.

Pedals are a very personal item. I set mine up for MY playing and don't want to use other peoples. I also don't want someone hulk stomping mine day in and out when they cost so much.

At the end of the day, I have loaned my snare, pedals, a crash to to other guys who have forgot stuff to keep the gig going, but I don't make a point of offering it every night. This stuff is super expensive.

As far as the tom, it's not much extra work, but if you let another guy add it, hes going to have to change the set up, move the ride, change cymbal heights etc to make it work, then you have to waste all that time putting it back.

I'd leave it as a 1U1D setup with the tom on a snare stand. If people have the option to mess things up they will. They will lower the tom to the point of chipping the BD, or cranking the knobs down with an impact wrench. I normally play 2U2D. I would be ecstatic if someone offered to share their kit. The only thing I've ever changed are SD height and Cymbal angles and height. Everything else I usually leave as is, unless the tom angle are so severe, I couldn't play them if my life depended on it.

Last edited:
A 4-pc kit will satisfy most drummers' needs. Anyone who's good enough to play a gig, should be good enough to work with the kit provided.

I've never sat behind a supplied kit and grumbled about there not being enough drums. Sometimes, there are too many! I can do just about everything with a kick, snare and hat. Any more than that is icing on the cake.

Bermuda

Well boys and girls, did the gig yesterday and in the end there was only one other band. Before their drummer arrives, I overhear other members of the band moaning that there's only one rack tom and that it won't suit him. When he does eventually show up, I see that he's brought nothing other than a cymbal bag, but despite this, the first thing he asks me is if he can use mine "to save the hassle when changing over". The kit is set up how I set it up (complete with my new snare) and he says, "for me that's fine how it is". I tell him that for me, drummers don't usually share cymbals, but he insists, so I give in and tell him to be careful. He then says, "don't worry, I've been doing this for 20 years, they'll be fine". I had my old snare with me and said that he would use that seeing as he hadn't brought his own. Then, if things weren't bad enough already, he asks me if I have a pair of sticks he can use.

So this drummer has been "playing for 20 years" and would seem that he doesn't own a kit (his band were headlining but couldn't supply a kit) and comes to a gig without sticks. Beyond belief.

In the end his band play innoquous soft rock covers and the cymbals don't take a beating. He thanks me and compliments me on the kit sound. All's well that ends well, but it was an experience I hope not to repeat any time soon.

I remember my Tama kit being used during the NAMM Jams we were having at my friends warehouse last January. We had two kits actually, but they were using my cymbals too.

Needless to say, I was worried all night. I had to keep reminding myself that these are all pro players and they know how to hit cymbals correctly.

So, after 3 nights of that, everything was fine, but it was a bit nerve-racking.

Seems like there are only two kinds of musicians that ever have to "loan" instruments. Piano players and drummers. (And amps for guitar players.)
Everyone else never needs to loan out their instrument.

My feeling is that if you are a drummer who plays gigs all the time, you need to have a special set of drums that you would be willing to share with anyone. Drums, cymbals, snare and everything else. That way you won't stress out. I have a complete set of "I don't care who plays them" drums.

My feeling is that if you are a drummer who plays gigs all the time, you need to have a special set of drums that you would be willing to share with anyone.
I disagree. If the gig requires me to share my equipment, the gig requires a different drummer.

IIf the gig requires me to share my equipment, the gig requires a different drummer.

My thoughts exactly.

Even doing functions you get the occasional gig where you get asked if someone can use your kit. I always decline. My kit is kept as tip top as possible and it stays that way. I'm not a rental company.

The worst situation is when somebody assumes they can go hog wild on the tubs. They act like you've knifed their tyres when you tell them nope.

I'm guessing there are differences based on location and level of the bands. Here in St. Louis sharing kits happens in two scenarios, benefit/charity events and venues with original bands that only play one set. Also I am a weekend warrior in a run of the mill cover band. I do have a practice kit that I would use if asked to share with other drummers. In the past I have asked drummers that would be using my kit to bring cymbals, snare and snare stand, and throne.

I disagree. If the gig requires me to share my equipment, the gig requires a different drummer.

That attitude would not get you a lot of gigs here in the bay area, especially in the more urban areas with the popular venues. You'd have to be a pretty big deal before any venue would pander to someone being all precious about their tubs. I'll never get why some folks are so ocd about their stuff being perfect. cars, too... I know some guys who buy really expensive cars, take them out in public and then come unhinged when they get dinged in a mall parking lot. For me, cars and drums, even nicer ones, are tools that should be taken care of, but not neurotically worried about to the extent nobody else can touch them.

I've played more an a few times in your neck of the woods near and around LA and done plenty of kit shares too... Maybe you are a bigger deal than I know?

I'm guessing there are differences based on location and level of the bands. Here in St. Louis sharing kits happens in two scenarios, benefit/charity events and venues with original bands that only play one set. Also I am a weekend warrior in a run of the mill cover band. I do have a practice kit that I would use if asked to share with other drummers. In the past I have asked drummers that would be using my kit to bring cymbals, snare and snare stand, and throne.

Around here, it's usually a gig downtown where even double parking in front of the venue is extremely difficult and there's no space inside for 3 different kits. Most of them have a house kit, actually, which is nice... But a lot of times there's guys who get weird about not playing their own kit so they get to setup theirs and share the non-breakables.

Other times it's to cut down on changeover times if there's not stage space for multiple setups. Saves lots of time on loading around, placing and checking mics, etc.

I'm same as you. When sharing one of my kits, I say "bring snare, cymbals, pedal and throne if you're picky bout what you sit on."

I have a set of drums and cymbals that I don't want anyone to touch. I Also have a set of drums and cymbals that I allow others to play.
I just need to know which set to bring to the gig. And to be honest I don't play at heavy metal or punk gigs so I have not had anyone bash my drums......... yet. LOL

I have a set of drums and cymbals that I don't want anyone to touch.
Why? What makes it imperative that they stay pristine? I'm genuinely curious if you've ever thought about it? I know we both know it's just stuff. You can't take it with you, and if nobody else ever gets to play or appreciate it, is it like some survival instinct to protect what you have maybe?

Back