Time to let go?

Salty Dog

Hey everyone, I need your input here and maybe you can help me make the right decision.

If you couldn't practice the drums and you're only solution would be to sell your ''like new, near & dear'' Ludwig Keystones with matching snare to finance a decent but more modest kit combined with Zildjian L80's & Remo Silent Stroke heads would you do it?

There's a whole lot more to this story but this isn't a Hallmark after school special so I will leave it at that.

Thanks for your input everyone, this is something that has been on my mind constantly.

Hey everyone, I need your input here and maybe you can help me make the right decision.

If you couldn't practice the drums and you're only solution would be to sell your ''like new, near & dear'' Ludwig Keystones with matching snare to finance a decent but more modest kit combined with Zildjian L80's & Remo Silent Stroke heads would you do it?

There's a whole lot more to this story but this isn't a Hallmark after school special so I will leave it at that.

Thanks for your input everyone, this is something that has been on my mind constantly.

Not knowing the 'rest of the story', can't you just put the Silent Stroke (or similar) heads on the drums you have? You'll lose money selling the drums, probably better just to keep them.

I would do it, no question. It matters not how great the kit may be, If you cant play it, for whatever reason, get rid of it and buy something you can play.

I am doing a similar thing, only I am selling my e-kit to finance the a cheap used kit plus L80s and silent strokes. My gig kit will be used for just that, gig's only.

I worked out it's far, far cheaper than trying to soundproof a practice space.

Keep them and get a gig. That is why you bought them, right? You can practice in your mind and on a pad, but so long as your working, you're good.

Thought he said he needed to sell them to finance the change?

Yeah but selling a kit to buy a cheaper kit usually loses you some money, plus you have all the hassle of finding a buyer. Unless he can sell the first kit for 2x the cost of the new stuff, I'd say just hold onto them.

Would it make sense to keep the kit and buy the rubber pads for your drums and cymbals? You would have very little out of pocket expense and would still get to have a sweet kit when you need it. Just don't leave the black pads on your cymbals when not playing them- they tend to leave black on your cymbals.

NO ! Don't sell the Keystones. You can silence the Keystones and the cymbals for practice. (ask me how)

Besides, if you sell them, then we have to hear you whining about it on this forum for the next couple of years.

OR, if you can store the Keystones for later, do that. You can get a cheapo kit for about $200. And silence the cymbals (ask me how)

NO ! Don't sell the Keystones. You can silence the Keystones and the cymbals for practice. (ask me how)

Besides, if you sell them, then we have to hear you whining about it on this forum for the next couple of years.

OR, if you can store the Keystones for later, do that. You can get a cheapo kit for about $200. And silence the cymbals (ask me how)

This. Circumstances change, and you will be beset by seller's remorse. Keep the kit and either silence them (contact Jim) or play on some practice pads.

And, like Bo said, get a gig!

GeeDeeEmm

I wouldn't sell the drums to finance a practice kit. Buy a nice practice pad and use that.

If you aren't gigging (doesn't sound like you are) then why not just buy the new heads? and get those rubber pads for the cymbals? That's got to cost less than you'll lose by selling your kit...

Also, have you looked into practice rooms, you might be able to rent a cheap practice room...

Do not sell your drums for lesser ("more modest") drums.

Perhaps save for the sound muffling pads if necessary. In the mean time, perhaps practice with brushes and/or towels on the drums.

I remember the thread and the kit well:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1357479&postcount=54

I like those drums, and your setup.
You can always throw some old towels or t shirts or something over them to quiet them down.

There might be more to the story, and if you've got to sell them then it's gonna' happen.
But it sounds like there's work-arounds, and I think you might regret it if you sell them.
Doesn't sound like you're just looking at another kit maybe?

Last edited:
How would you do it, Jim?

BTW, I love the Beethoven quote.

I tried those Remo silent heads. They work great, but the feel is too different for me. I cut circles out of old style yoga mats. Very cheap at Goodwill. I even cut a hole in the center for good stick to head feel. I put a yoga mat behind the batter head on my bass drum.

I use Cymbal mutes made in the UK. They work great. Almost no sound but the feel of the cymbal on the stick is still there. Do a search for cymbomute.com.

ATM when I sit at my drums I use the brushes or towel over the toms & I have a pad over the snare. At work I made a little practice space out of a small stock room where I spend most of my lunch hour practicing rudiments on a pad that sits on a snare stand. It gets the job done.

I'll be honest selling the drum would be very hard to do and I'm relieved most of you think it wouldn't be the best thing to do anyway. I concede it wouldn't be the best financial decision. Yes Jim I would have most definitely whined about it for 2 years if I did sell it. Now what about you're tips on keeping the drums & cymbals quiet? I'm asking. I think a few others would be interested as well.

As for gigging? Yes that would be awesome, I was in a couple of bands before but looks like the next one is not around the corner. I work 2 jobs and have 4 young kids, that doesn't make it impossible but makes it harder.

I guess reading your replies I came to the conclusion that at the end of the day if I don't end up playing on a real kit it doesn't really matter what I practice on since there are no subs for real kits.

Thanks guys, I appreciate you thinking the time here.

Get some Aquarian Super-Pads and get some L80s when you can afford them.

Another really cheap solution is to make your own mutes out of carpet padding.

Agreed, keep the drums and look into making them quieter. Someday when you need a working kit again, you'll be glad they're there for you. :)

Bermuda

Back