Hi-hat Anchor?

Funkdoc

Hey guys, so basically me & my band are looking at recording our EP in a few months. Long story short we have a sort of EP-intro-song that lasts about a minute, of which features a crash on several offbeats in the intro with a sort of hi-hat 'Tss' on the 1/4 Notes. i started questioning the general view on the whole hi-hat anchor thing, and whether or not to keep the 1/4 Hats or have them cut out of the song. FYI it's Thrash metal and the song in question is along the lines of the opening of "The Art of Partying"

tl;dr
Recording thrash metal EP soon, Hihats on the 1/4 notes.
Yay or nay?

Hi! First off, welcome to the forum.

If the track is only a minute long, I'd try both and see which you prefer. Although there are traits that are attributed to certain styles, don't view them as hard & fast rules, play for yourself first and foremost.

Hope you're well,

Kev

Ah right yeah, thanks :)
It just got me thinking 'cause i listen to a fair share of Megadeth (Don't know if you're familiar) but they leave the quiet hats in, in the background and it sounds good, but at the same time i don't know if it's unprofessional (regards time-keeping) or if it is genuinely a part of the music itself, i guess like you say though we'll just have to see how it sounds!
And thanks again

Ah, you mean foot chicks. I'd leave them in if there are any other instruments going. However, if it's just open chords w/ no melody playing over it, you probably don't want them in. Try both and see which you prefer.

Back