Problems with practicing

Wick

So I live in a townhouse, and I try very hard not to disturb my neighbors with my playing. However I feel like by putting all of these mutes and playing softer than I would normally is not giving me the full benefit of practicing. I've heard of playing with mesh heads, but I'm not entirely sold on the idea; I haven't heard any reliable first hand testimonies.

I'm tired of having to conform around my living situation, so if who have any solutions please help. Thank you in advance =)

So I live in a townhouse, and I try very hard not to disturb my neighbors with my playing. However I feel like by putting all of these mutes and playing softer than I would normally is not giving me the full benefit of practicing. I've heard of playing with mesh heads, but I'm not entirely sold on the idea; I haven't heard any reliable first hand testimonies.

I'm tired of having to conform around my living situation, so if who have any solutions please help. Thank you in advance =)

I built an electronic kit off ebay just bargain shopping for $480 and non of it's junk. I play a 4pc so I have 3- roland pd-8 pads, roland kd-8 kick, 2-yamaha PCY65, alesis hi-hat trigger, roland rack and alesis DM5 module. It took me about 3 weeks to put this all together and most of the piece I got were in new condition. The v-drum rack was new in the box which was a great buy. But in my experience I tried to mutes got practicing done but it's not the same. I don't care for electric drums but I have gotten use to them and they actually made me a better player.

I can vouch for the mesh heads. I bought a Sonor Safari kit and put mesh heads on it and it was silent practicing any time of the day (I live in a house, however). Sure, you get a little more rebound than you normally would with regular heads, but that's the trade-off. And it's less of a trade-off than purchasing an electronic kit that is no where near the feel of an actual drum. I did use the neoprene rubber pads for the cymbals, but that's ok in this instance.

For what kg spent on his eKit, you could buy a brand new Pearl Rhythm traveler kit that comes complete with all the hardware, the mesh heads, and the practice cymbals, and you could leave your regular kit packed up and ready to go out for a gig.

I would suggest trying the mesh heads first - the whole investment, including the proper cymbal pads for a four-piece kit only cost me $60 new from MusiciansFriend. I'm debating getting an entire set of mesh heads for my double bass monster kit.

But since I live in a house that backs up to an open park, my neighbors on both sides are pretty cool. If I don't start playing until 10AM and end before 8PM, they never complain. I've had band rehearsals and parties and they all love it. It's good to be on good terms with your neighbors. When I have a big BBQ, I invite them over as well.

actually playing softer than normally is probably better than playing normally. play some 200 bpm paradiddles at pp

i learnt on drums that were made out of blocks of wood

However I feel like by putting all of these mutes and playing softer than I would normally is not giving me the full benefit of practicing.

I live in a house, but I completely understand because my nextdoor neighbors seem so close. Like Bo said, get to know your neighbors and make friends with them. The mesh heads sound like a great idea. I'm not patient enough to change heads when I want to record or jam with others since my practice kit is my studio kit.

That's just the world of acoustic drums. None of them come with a volume knob you can turn way down...

I use drum mutes (actually - modified ones). What about using them do you find a disadvantage?

Back