Finding a band

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
How long did it take you to find a band that you liked and stayed with? And how many different auditions with bands did it take you to win the spot?

I live in the Dallas - Fort Worth Texas area and man, it's hard as hell trying to 1) get audtions with people other than kids, or country hacks, and 2) actually getting on with a competent group that has a rehearsal spot, can actually play, and is committed to rehearsals and actually gigging for $.

I quit a band simply because they found pleasure in playing 2 hour shows across town for free or playing coffee houses or other gigs where nobody really wants to or has the ability to help the band through word-of-mouth advertising.

I think it's easier to find a girlfriend than find a band.

It helps to have a demo and a web presence. These days it's too easy to set up, so there is no excuse to not have a page somewhere with some pictures, a basic bio, and some examples of your playing.

And a potential bands should have the same thing.

This way, you can just exchange website addresses with said band, and you both can get a better understanding of where the other is coming from, and quickly tell if it's going to be a waste of time or not.

Of course, if the band is forming from scratch, their might not be a webpage, but the principal member should have their own page for what they do (sing, play guitar, whatever).

If they don't have at least something basic put together in a way that makes sense, that tends to tell me they don't take it very seriously.

I've been thinking of doing that, D-E-D, but you've just proven why I need to do it asap. True, it's totally easy to set up and low cost, so there is no reason why I shouldn't. And I am being asked for that sort of information, so it makes sense. Thanks!

Find jams and open mic nights where you can sit in and play with others. The best way to find a good band is to find people with similar ideas and musical compatibility. Call people you know who play instruments and see if you can setup a "for fun" jam night.

what a frustrating experience! I think a lot of us can relate! You really have to weed out the time wasters and tire kickers by playing the numbers game. Not an easy process, but heres what helped me :
1. network with the sound engineers...they work with a lot of paying bands, so they will give you a good recommendation if you are easy to get along with and can deliver.
2. volunteer for fill in gigs, if you can. Even if its a pain to learn 45 songs for one gig. It will lead to something. Put your name out there , even if you have a regular gig.
3. have an online presence, but never neglect the face to face. You will always beat out the other guy who doesn't SHOW up due to his issues. Just be a general professional.
4. of course, the obvious stuff, like being easy to work with, punctual, having working equiptment, etc.
The last, regular paying gig I got was from a recommendation of a sound man.
Good luck.

2. volunteer for fill in gigs, if you can. Even if its a pain to learn 45 songs for one gig. It will lead to something. Put your name out there , even if you have a regular gig.

That's how I got my current gig, which has lasted two years so far. The band was so impressed by how I filled in with a week's notice, and much of their material was original. for once in my life, I left a good first impression! :)

Rogue, just know that I am very much rooting (or as we say in Texas, "root'n) for you to find a band that provides you so much satisfaction because I know you have been looking for awhile. I enjoy reading your posts about your adventures of the process of finding a band.
I agree with all the advise given so far and I want to suggest something different. Be open to finding even a single member first. I say this because the band that I am in now, started with just the bassist and myself. My wife worked with him, introduced us, started playing, one thing led to another- we got a good lead guitarist/ singer and then he brought on a friend of his that is now our rhythm guitarist. We are having a blast and making some great music!
I must admit, this was a slow process having everything come together and we jammed with many people before the band became what it is now.
Again, I wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted!
BTW- GO RANGERS!

Last edited:
Back