Please help - LUDWIG S/S Octa-Plus Value?

kissarmyfreak

I have been on here for a while now but forgot all my log in info so I had to make a new 1. No big deal.

Today I came across this set at a local music store. Its a1970s Ludwig Stainless steel Octa Plus 12pc. I think its in great shape for the age. It appears to even have the original heads & some stands.

As of right now the shop doesn't know what they want for them So I was wondering if I could get some expert help from y'all.
I want these BAD!

please let me know what everyone thinks they are worth today!

Attachments

• IMG_1098.JPG
    IMG_1098.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 4,096
  • IMG_1097.JPG
    IMG_1097.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 2,027
  • IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 1,925
Last edited:
There was a kit similar to yours and in very good condition, on Ebay recently(Sept 20) with a 24" virgin bass and 8 toms from 6 to 16".The asking price was 2,495...which the seller didn't get.The auction went full term,so there wasn't any other offers outside of Ebay.The kit wasn't however relisted yet.

As you may or may not know,concert toms are just NOT very popular these days,no matter who made them,or what they were made of,with the exception of certain collectors,so it's a VERY small market.I'd say,less that a hundred collectors.who would have to want that EXACT kit.

Double headed Ludwig stainless steel drums are much more valuable.

I'd offer 14-1500,since the shop owner dosen't seem to know his business or resale values very well.

Steve B

Your headed along the same line I am. I was thinking 1500
Thank you

why did someone take the bottom rim and head off the floor tom? my pet peeve! that's a sweet kit. I have that it in maple with added bottom heads.

Holy WOW.
Nah, tell them the concert toms are way out of style, and it's not worth much at all because of no resale these day, and offer $500.
If you feel bad, you could give a 1K tip ;-)

That's a pretty cool kit. It could be fun, but it seems more like a collectors piece to me, because breaking it up and taking part of it out (for gigs) would just put wear and tear on some and the rest would be in better shape later.

I just think the SS drums were really something though. If they were only double headed....

Holy WOW.
Nah, tell them the concert toms are way out of style, and it's not worth much at all because of no resale these day, and offer $500.
If you feel bad, you could give a 1K tip ;-)

That's a pretty cool kit. It could be fun, but it seems more like a collectors piece to me, because breaking it up and taking part of it out (for gigs) would just put wear and tear on some and the rest would be in better shape later.

I just think the SS drums were really something though. If they were only double headed....

Karl,there's a guy I know that converted an Octa-plus stainless steel concert tom kit to a double headed kit.The drums all have bottom bearing edges already,so you just have to drill for the bottom small classic lugs...

You could probaly get at least 500-600 for the 18" floor tom.Those don't come up too often.

Those drums sound amazing.

Steve B

Yeah, I saw the SS shells have edges on the bottoms. I always really liked the sound of those when I have happened to come across either a bass drum or a tom somewhere. Just a cool sound.
I was thinking someone could put heads on the bottom with the right equipment.

Back