How rare is it to find a band that has a practice space with a kit for you to use? Advice needed.

I "joined" a cover band a few weeks ago and it's a good situation in that they have their own practice space and their own drum set there for me to use so I don't have to lug mine back and forth each practice. But I've recently found that I'm not really jiving with these guys and their sensibilities as well as I'd hoped, and I'm considering leaving now before it gets any further along.

But I first want to know just how rare it is to find a situation like this (in terms of practice space with drums set up), and perhaps whether it would be foolish on my part to leave so hastily. Is this a very rare occurrence? If I left, is it likely that I could find another band to join within the next few months that had a similar setup? Anyone have any general advice?

When you say "have their own practice space" do you mean not paying rent for it? Regardless I'd say about 20-25% of bands in my area have a kit you can use. I was just thinking about all the times I've tried out for bands, seems to me about 50% of the time it's at an industrial era building usually next to a railroad and they have to pay rent for it. The other 50% it's either at a house, apartment, dorm room or it's a room someones boss lets them use after work...

Of all the bands I've tried out for only one had drums and a practice space they didn't have to pay for. I think a couple weeks back someone put an ad up on here trying to get a better drummer than what they are so they could move to guitars or something like that. It's about 4 pages back...

I think this falls under the old "If you have to ask..."

If you are already wondering of you should be with this band, then you probably shouldn't. Just glancing through the thread I see a lot of red flags with the band and it seems you know what they are too.

Finding a good band in which you gel can take some time but it's better than being stuck with guys you really don't like or at least don't agree with on several issues just because they have a drum kit at their rehearsal space.

Bands Ive been in either have a practice space or its at my house, I purposely bought a nice PA, extra drums sets/equipment, bass amp, ect ect. What Ive found is the bands that have their shit together and are good have a practice space and a drumset there. My current band we practice at the guitar players house which has a drumset there that he purchased. Ive played with other bands, filled in, and they all had a practice space. Id say common to very common.

Back