Famous drums intro...

Money For Nothin' by Dire Straights is great.

Terry Williams does the intro and I think Omar Hakim plays the rest of the track down. I transcribed it actually and spent a lot of time determining the tom orchestrations so it's pretty accurate.

The one bar intro to Frank Zappa's tune Peaches en Regalia, anyone remember that? The drummer is Ron Selico, who at the time was playing in Shuggie Otis' band, and that's Shuggie on the bass. I wonder how that came together.

When I first heard this I said to myself, "Yep, there's one I gotta learn."

The one bar intro to Frank Zappa's tune Peaches en Regalia, anyone remember that? The drummer is Ron Selico, who at the time was playing in Shuggie Otis' band, and that's Shuggie on the bass. I wonder how that came together.

When I first heard this I said to myself, "Yep, there's one I gotta learn."

Yeah, I remember working out that lick.

Shuggie Otis... man, haven't thought about him in a while. Strawberry Letter 23 is one of my favorite funk tunes.

You are correct. Dumb mistake on my part although Dolenz did do lead vocals on this one (always thought he was a much better singer than Davy Jones). At the time the show was cast he didn't know how to play but word is that by 1966 he had learned enuf to actually play on their tour. How proficient he ever became, I'm not sure. Anyways, thanks for the clarification :)

Actually, the Mokees played their own parts on their third album Headquarters after they ripped control away from the evil corporate cookie-cutter soulless bubblegum producer Don Kirshner. A lot of punk bands considered that a landmark album because it represented rebelling against the man and making a D.I.Y. Rock'n'Roll record. And I've seen youtube footage of Dolenz playing in concert during the last 10-15 years.. He's not a Steve Gadd, but he's certainly good enough to play in public. I'd call him part of the fraternity.

Just kidding about Don Kirshner by the way, the Wrecking Crew were great musicians. And I love Don Kirshner's Rock Concert to this day.

Last edited:
Back