Pdp cx vs. Gretsch Catalina Ash

bmxingmetalhead

I plan on buying another kit soon. I found a PDP cx 5 piece kit (20, 10, 12, 14 and a 14 snare). This is kit $400 obo and needs new head all around. I also found a Gretchen Catalina ash 6 piece kit (22, 8, 10, 12, 14 and a 14 snare). This kit is $450 mint condition. I personally love 20" bass drums so the PDP would be perfect but the gretsch has the extra tom and is mint condition. I've never played an ash kit nor ever seen the Catalina ash kit. So my question is, would be the best deal for me?

They're both nice sounding intermediate kits. Honestly, I think Ash wins in the looks department because it's so unique visually.

Buy whichever sounds/looks/vibes better for you.

What kinda stuff do you play?

They're both nice sounding intermediate kits. Honestly, I think Ash wins in the looks department because it's so unique visually.

Buy whichever sounds/looks/vibes better for you.

What kinda stuff do you play?

The kits are each a good drive away so I wouldn't be able to try out both kits. But I play death metal. From beat down to technical death metal. I've heard the ash is more of a jazz type kit which is another reason I'm sceptical about it

I don't think you or a metal crowd is going to hear the difference regardless of the wood. And once again Gretsch kits are not made for Jazz. They are made to play music regardless of genre.

The kits are each a good drive away so I wouldn't be able to try out both kits. But I play death metal. From beat down to technical death metal. I've heard the ash is more of a jazz type kit which is another reason I'm sceptical about it

While each kit can be used for any style, They are very different sonically. You can go for the PDP and be comfortable knowing that you'll be in the same sonic space as 99% of the other metal drummers out there. You could go for the Ash and possibly end up with something far more unique and interesting.

I'd go for the Ash, because they look neat and I'm strange. I tend to like variety for the sake of variety.

The PDP is a very nice kit and will likely be more sympathetic to your inclinations.

There's really no wrong answer.

Last edited:
OTE=KamaK;1302182]While each kit can be used for any style, They are very different sonically. You can go for the PDP and be comfortable knowing that you'll be in the same sonic space as 99% of the other metal drummers out there. You could go for the Ash an d possibly end up with something far more unique and interesting.

I'd go for the Ash, because they look neat and I'm strange. I tend to like variety for the sake of variety.

The PDP is a very nice kit and will likely be more sympathetic to your inclinations.[/QUOTE]

I'll probably go for the PDP. Thanks for the help

I don't think you or a metal crowd is going to hear the difference regardless of the wood. And once again Gretsch kits are not made for Jazz. They are made to play music regardless of genre.

I play a little but of everything but my main genre is metal as that's what my band plays. I've also never spent too much time looking into gretsch kits, I read that ash was more of a jazz kit

Back