is it true about G2s? help!

I have Evans EC2's batter on my Toms and G1 reso's I really like the sound, they are a little dead but I generally like that sound.
Recently I had a stage share where I voluntereed my kit solely so I could hear it as the audience do and I was happily releaved that it cut through the mix and there was good tonal steps between the various drums.

I have to admit, since put a coated ambassdor on my Snare it really has come alive although I found the coating is wearing faster than the Evans ST I had on it before.

Sure is. I am about to try Aquarian.
Let me know how you get on. My head choices are still largely coloured by my pro muso days some 25 years ago. That's when I was playing many times a week. I was using G1's as batters in a rock context when everyone else was using pinstripes. The G1's didn't last very long but they sure sounded superb. Sustaaaaaaaain. I use G2's now as I don't want to change heads every few weeks. The G2's still offer a nice open sound on thin resonant shells. Tried EC2's before that. Sounded great for about a week but then became far too dead for my liking (as I found to my cost in the studio). In an ideal world, I'd like something in between G1's & G2's but lasting as long as G2's. I'm interested in Nutha's reply on his new G+'s. They sound like something I should go try. Let me know how you get on with the Aquarians.

How long do you guys go between head changes? I am very fussy about a 'live' drum sound and when gigging a lot my toms get changed from 6 to 8 weeks and snares usually once a month. Often the toms may get changed once a month.

How long do you guys go between head changes? I am very fussy about a 'live' drum sound and when gigging a lot my toms get changed from 6 to 8 weeks and snares usually once a month. Often the toms may get changed once a month.
That's quite an expenditure Wy! As per my post below, I used to change about the same frequency as you, but as I'm now band practicing once a week, plus gigging once a week on average, it's toms & snare when I can hear a change in response.

Yeah I read your post. It's the other guys I am curious about. Of course now I have so many snares I hardly ever have to change heads.

Off Topic.

Hey check it out, I have been considering putting together an instrumental power trio. So 10 minutes ago I decided to form one. I now have a fantastic guitarist and bass player.

It's good to be good and have great guys want to play with you. :)

:p

10 minutes!

I have been playing for close to 30 years and have had issues with Remo heads and the coating wearing out prematurely. This is not a case of the poor tradesman blaming his tools. It is more of an issue with (I believe) substandard coating process or material.
I do play Remo smooth white emps on my birch shell jazz kit, but that smooth white finish is a pigment in the Mylar, as opposed to being a surface coating.

I have been playing for close to 30 years and have had issues with Remo heads and the coating wearing out prematurely. This is not a case of the poor tradesman blaming his tools. It is more of an issue with (I believe) substandard coating process or material.
I do play Remo smooth white emps on my birch shell jazz kit, but that smooth white finish is a pigment in the Mylar, as opposed to being a surface coating.

Perhaps then I am changing heads before it has a chance to come off? How often do you change heads on your snare?

EDIT. Although I have never heard a serious working drummer tell me of the problems I read about online regarding Remo heads. Never have I come across this in Australia. I'd be interested in hearing from Aussies regarding this problem.

I am also curious to know what the time frame is for heads wearing prematurely?

Last edited:
How long do you guys go between head changes?

I prefer my heads "played in" a bit.. I leave mine as long as I can. I change when they need it, but I don't rush to swap.

I'd be interested in hearing from Aussies regarding this problem.

I know what I like and what I don't like. I wouldn't have used Remo heads as a first choice for 25 odd years if they didn't hold up. I've been surprised by some of the accounts on the forums too. My experience with the brand has always been good.

I like Evans, used them from time to time with no problems either. I just prefer the sound of a Remo head.

You have had all this trouble in 3 1/2 years and I have had zero trouble in 32 years. I do not think the problem here is the heads. A poor tradesman blames his tools.

As for seating? One must take care with Remo as the heads have a non flexible metal hoop. Whereas Evans has a flexible plastic hoop. Remo also has a glue that needs to be cracked upon seating. This is easily done.

Nice. Thank you.

I'd be happy to show you photos of the heads, w/ the coating that came off as if it were graphite under an eraser. I've still got them. I actually had my drum teacher, a player of over 40 years, come and check them out. He said he had never seen anything like it. Surely he's a poor tradesman and has passed that trait on to me. Fluke or not, it was good money down the drain. Several folks here have complained of the same thing. Bermuda has commented several times that he has gotten enough poorly-made Emperor heads that simply could not be tuned...that he switched to Evans and has never looked back? Poor tradesman, I'm sure.

I'm far from the only one that has had trouble with the Powerstroke 3 bass head, also. I've found more than one thread here with it being discussed. I also have research docs and photos from Ludwig (from my QC struggle with them), showing how Remo will often fail to sink the edge of the film all the way down into the glue channel, leaving it sitting higher with a "ridge". The ridge won't allow the hoop to sit properly and therefore the head won't seat properly. Now that I know what to look for, I check the heads at the store before buying. I'm playing two of them right now, A 20" and a 24", that sound great.

I've owned Evans heads and have yet to find one that wasn't 100% perfect. Based on my experience, Evans *quality* is superior, "poor tradesmanship", notwithstanding.

If you play brushes the Evans coating definitely lasts longer than the Remo. Having said that, my favourite sound is when Remos hit the sweet spot of wear. Can't remember which model of Evans it is, but the coating is far less brittle than that of Ambassadors. It's lasted well. Trouble is, it has tiny air holes around the side and it's a bummer with brushes when the wires get caught in a hole as you sweep past. Still yet to solve my snare head conundrum ...

I always used Ambassadors until I started using brushes. When it came to sweeping, I found the Ambassadors too rough at first and they needed to be played in, but it wasn't too long before they were as smooth as a baby's bottom and needed replacing. I need something that sounds like an Ambassador but has a coating that retains some roughness like an Evans.

Like PFOG, I keep my heads on as long as I can. Pros need to change them more often because they can't tolerate dead heads ... haha ... dead heads ... geddit?

Yeah ok ...... :)

If you play brushes the Evans coating definitely lasts longer than the Remo. Having said that, my favourite sound is when Remos hit the sweet spot of wear. Can't remember which model of Evans it is, but the coating is far less brittle than that of Ambassadors. It's lasted well. Trouble is, it has tiny air holes around the side and it's a bummer with brushes when the wires get caught in a hole as you sweep past. Still yet to solve my snare head conundrum ...

The head you are talking about is the Genera HD Dry. They make the same heads without the air holes called the Genera HD (Heavy Duty). The air holes (almost) completely eliminates the high pitched ring found on most snare drums. The "regular" HD is really nice, you might try it if you like the Dry but not the air holes.

Well, here's an update.

My drum dealer has offered to sell me all of his Aquarian stock if I want it. He sees it that he's made a loss anyway and he'll let me have them for a few hundred. There's enough heads here to last me the next ten years...maybe longer.

So I'm thinking about this...

He has Texture Coated which I've used on my toms and am currently using on my snare. He has clear and coated response 2s, which is what I'm using on the toms at the moment.

I'm wondering if it would be worth buying the other heads. He has super 2s coated and clear. he has jack dejohnettes. (any one try them?) he has clear performance 2s. he has some focus x. he has some clear super-kick 2s. he has clear force 1 batters.

I've never tried any of these heads. are any of them worth buying? it'd be kinda cool to have my own little stock of Aquarians.

what do you guys think? which heads would be worth stocking up on?

Do you have to buy all of them right now?

I'd try out one of each in 1 size first and play around with them and them buy which ones you like before sinking a boatload of cash on everything.

Of course, you could always eBay the ones you don't like....

The head you are talking about is the Genera HD Dry. They make the same heads without the air holes called the Genera HD (Heavy Duty). The air holes (almost) completely eliminates the high pitched ring found on most snare drums. The "regular" HD is really nice, you might try it if you like the Dry but not the air holes.

Thanks Brad. General HD rings a bell. Wouldn't mind a bit of trashy high pitched ring. Will check out some other Evans, maybe something with less natural dampaning.

Last edited:
I'd avoid Remo - I mean they're good heads, don't get me wrong but they do wear out pretty quick. My snare batter is a Powerstroke 3 and I've had it on for 5 months (but not really played it more than a few hours) and the coating is well, non-existent. It's completely flaked off and a head should last more than a few hours.

I'd avoid Remo - I mean they're good heads, don't get me wrong but they do wear out pretty quick. My snare batter is a Powerstroke 3 and I've had it on for 5 months (but not really played it more than a few hours) and the coating is well, non-existent. It's completely flaked off and a head should last more than a few hours.

I am with you there.. however, I did go out and buy some Remo Ambassador coated heads today for my bop 4 pc. I am gonna give coated Remos another shot.. Why do I have the feeling I am not going to be happy a month down the road..

Thanks Brad. General HD rings a bell. Wouldn't mind a bit of trashy high pitched ring. Will check out some other Evans, maybe something with less natural dampaning.

My Gretsch Fullrange maple came with a G1 and it works great. Normally I'm an Ambassasor guy on snares. The G1 is a bit livelier although on the Gretsch it has almost no ring. It feels like the Evans is slightly thinner or something. I've heard other snares with it on there and it's very lively and you will get some ring.

G2 coated on the toms of the last 3 kits I've had. Played with various things on them but keep coming back to the G2s.

I have found a new awesome combination for my floor tom: EC2 SST coated over G2 coated. It sounds AMAZING...to me anyway.

Back