San

I have played for 4 years and have until now been using an electronic drum kit - the yamaha dtxplorer, and feel it is time for an upgrade.

my budget is around maximum of £750 and i think i've found the 3 best possibilities (all sets listed below include mapex 500 series hardware):

mapex horizon series hx (most basic drum kit here, 5 piece kit) and sabian xs20s cymbal pack (best cymbals here) which include 14, 16 and 18 inch hi hats crash and ride respectively,

mapex horizon series hzb lacquer finish with add on tom (6 piece) and paiste pst 5 cymbal set (same contents as xs20 listed above) which is a comprimise of the second best drum kit and second best cymbal package listed here as far as i know (opinions?)

and lastly, mapex horizon series hx double bass drum which is a 9 piece (best kit here) plus paiste pst 3 cymbal pack (14 hi hats, 16 crash, 18 crash and 20 ride) (worst cymbal set here)

all these combos are the same price roughly and i guess the general question is what is better; quality cymbals or drum kit. Whichever option I pick I will probably still end up upgrading both drums and cymbals over time but for now I need to pick something, and could really use advice on the best combo.

N.B. I have never owned an acoustic kit so even though PST5s for example may sound awful for some of the pros out there, for someone less experience like me they will probably sound better?

thanks for reading this

Go play as many drums/cymbals as possible. Only your ears can tell you which ones are best.

Another crucial bit of info...BUY USED. You will be able to find a lot more drum/cymbal for your money if you shop around any used music source.

Like Bo says, Get out there and shop around.
There are no rules for drum/cymbal combinations.

As you get into playing acoustic you will find that you will want to own many cymbals for a variety of sounds.

Whichever option I pick I will probably still end up upgrading both drums and cymbals over time but for now I need to pick something, and could really use advice on the best combo.
Welcome San. For a tiny push over the XS20's, you can get some of the best pro cymbals at any price. Get in touch with Sam Crew at Handmade cymbals http://www.amediacymbals.co.uk/get-in-touch/ & he'll help you out on the huge choice of sounds available to you. Go this route, & you'll never even think of upgrading, because there isn't an upgrade IMO! I've just moved from HHX, HH, & Vault to Amedia, that should tell you something. Tell Sam I sent you, it may help.

The other route, of course, is used on Ebay. Some great deals to be had there. Good luck, Andy.

Back