tough decisions, out of commission

docterupp

Weird title, I know. I am trying to be more creative since my first mishap posting.

Anyways, I tried searching and couldn't find the info I needed on this but was wondering if someone here could help me out.

I had a TAMA imperialstar for 5 or 6 years, was my starter drum set and I didn't get to play it near as much as I would have liked the first couple years. I got rid of it because I was moving out of my parents and into an apartment and they didn't want the thing there taking up space. I am now looking to get a drum set and want to get something that will be a great kit (when replacing stock heads cause they usually always suck) and will last me until next year when I can hopefully get a custom made kit.

I am looking at 4 in particular right now. Before getting into the the kits, I would like to make it be known I play a little bit of everything. Folk rock, jazz, blues, all kinds of rock, and metal. My friend and I are going to start a band and play some local shows and the type of music we are working on/writing is for progressive metal. Off time beats, incorporate some jazz and blues in with it, lots of fills and such.

So now, I am looking at a Sonor eXtreme Force 22, a ddrum Journeyman (not too bad but like the Sonor more, maybe cause I am a German), a PDP Double Drive, and a Mapex Voyager 7 piece. I cannot for the life of me find out what kind of wood is used on the Sonor but the mapex is basswood I believe, the double drive is poplar, and journeyman is poplar as well? I forgot.Ha!

Anyways, if anyone knows anything about these kits and how they would each individually make or break me for the music, I would like to know.

But I do need to know what kind of shells these Sonor's have on them. I'm still looking low end I know, but this is just till I get can get enough money to get something much much better.

thanks all,

DR

Hello. I'd get a used Gretsch Catalina Club jazz 4 piece and be done with it. Yamaha stage custom makes a similar smaller size kit. These are affordable, quality and you could keep forever. Should be around $400. Good luck. If you have space constraints why a 7 piece?

I cannot for the life of me find out what kind of wood is used on the Sonor

I googled it, it came up with Birch first and then after a bit more digging it came up as basswood, while is a mix of results between the two, Id most likely say its basswood being a cheaper kit.

I'd second the the Gretsch Catalina Club or the Yamaha stage customs, I lean towards the Yammies more, they're ace for the price.

Although even though you said you play a lil of everything, there's no one kit that suits all genres, some can get away with it but I'd say when making your choice, take your main genre of choice into account and the way you wanna sound in that genre. You don't want to end up trying to play jazz using massive rock kit, that being said, I find jazz styled kits work well for metal, like I said some work in more than one genre.

Thanks all, appreciate the responses. I'll look into both of those kits. I have tried the Gretsch Catalina's at my local guitar center and they sound great. The one's I tried were birch and when compared to maple, I think birch is my favorite wood of the two.

I may have made it implied that I still have space issues but I do not. I now have a house I rent with two friends of mine, so space is no issue.

I'm starting to think that a Gretsch catalina maple 6 piece would be the way to go, I'll just get speed cobra doubles for it. There's just something about two basses that make me like them more. But Speed Cobra slave pedals don't have the drawbacks of say a DW 5000 which is what I had before. So much adjusting to get it to be playable and still just wasn't as responsive as I would have liked.

Thanks again,

DR

I checked out some Ludwig Stage Custom's and they are awesome. Great finishes on them too. But I tend to be leaning towards the Tama Silverstar (I love Tama, the drums, hardware, Iron and Speed Cobra lineups, they are just great). It's between that and a Mapex Horizon Birch. About a difference of $150 but have found a couple nice used one w/ hardware for the same price as a shell pack.

Any suggestions between the two?

Thanks,

DR

Well I'd say the Tama,because there's no such thing as Ludwig stage customs.

Yamaha makes a stage custom line. I've heard nothing but good things about the Silverstars .All birch shells,lacquer finishes and great sound and build quality.Tama dosen't build junk,even their entry level stuff sounds good.

Steve B

Back