Songs with triangles

Dream Theater - In the presence of enemies.

Whoever said UK Rendezvous 6:02....tune!

A number of dance/boy-band songs have triangle, Blurred Lines/Word Crimes has triangle, and an Al original My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder has triangle (it's a Cajun song, actually quite good!)

Bermuda

To the slight dismay of my fiance, I love that song. The accordion can be a very expressive instrument.

"Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith. Last verse around 3:11

If we leave Western music and venture to a place like Brazil, the triangle is an integral part of some very important music forms. For instance, Forró is a popular style of dance music that hails from the Northeastern part off Brazil. Traditionally, Forró features three instruments: the accordion, the zumbumba (a type of bass drum), and the triangle.

While traditional Forró definitely has a folkloric vibe – there are also contemporary versions that were growing very popular in Brazil over the last fifteen years. Forró universitário (College Forro), would be a good example. In fact, there is a band called Falamansa which really rocks this style to a high-level. I would suggest checking out their live album from the mid-2000’s (called MTV Au Vivo) to get an idea of this music and feel. And yes, the triangle is still an integral part of the vibe as are the accordion and zabumba--but there are other instruments that join in. Some of my favorite numbers off that album are: Um Dia Perfeito, Xote da Alegria, and the driving Roendo Unha/A Falta. Kick ass.

Sticking to Brazil, if you want to hear a great (samba-influenced) song that will remain in your head for weeks - check out Sergio Mendez' "Magalehna" off of his very “Brazilian” album entitled "Brasileiro" - it too features the triangle in the highest order. The main force (in terms of percussion direction) for that album comes from the very talented Carlinhos Brown –it’s also his voice you hear singing. The whole album is INCREDIBLE. And generally speaking, the drumming on the opening track of the album, called Fanfarra (Cabua-Le-Le) – is some of the finest street Samba drumming ever recorded. The drumming throughout is amazing. Somehow, Jeff Porcoro even made it onto it. Boy, that guy was everywhere back in the day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stYJkLlNmsY

Finally, I think you will find the triangle in samba (in its numerous forms) and many other styles in that beautiful country.

OMG you guys are dredging up nuances I haven't thought about in decades.

I think I heard that it was Hal Blaine on every triangle recording :p

This is the thing......

- check out Sergio Mendez' "Magalehna" off of his very “Brazilian” album entitled "Brasileiro" - it too features the triangle in the highest order. The main force (in terms of percussion direction) for that album comes from the very talented Carlinhos Brown –it’s also his voice you hear singing. The whole album is INCREDIBLE. And generally speaking, the drumming on the opening track of the album, called Fanfarra (Cabua-Le-Le) – is some of the finest street Samba drumming ever recorded.

"This Diamond Ring" Gary Lewis and the Play boys. Triangle and chimes.

Samuel Barber, "Knoxville:Summer of 1915", is 15 minutes long, and has 1 triangle note. One. You count rests for 10 minutes, play your note, and then sit for another 5. Lame.

Back