THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

Really important Snare Drum Review

They are all Black Panther Snares, first is Hammered Brass
Second is Premium Traditional Maple, and third (and most expensive) is The Black Panther Limited edition Hand Hammered Snare Drum (all 14 inches)

Attachments

• drum1.bmp
    313.8 KB · Views: 6,653
  • drum2.bmp
    262.4 KB · Views: 6,657
  • drum3.bmp
    247.8 KB · Views: 6,595
Re: Really important Snare Drum Review

Arent they nice, as u can see i like the black and gold look

yes, i was thinking about going with either the black panther hammered brass or black panther premium brass for a new snare. still dont know the difference between the two. but now ive decided to go with the dennis chamber signature snare. probably will be a little while before i get it though.

yah same here, i might try to put a black drum head on it just for looks

Hmm, why is this important and why should this be sticky??

Bernhard

Bernhard said:
Hmm, why is this important and why should this be sticky??

Bernhard

What the... you mean... three pictures of snare drums doesn't justify a sticky?

Why, you little...!!!

cuz, i dont want to drive 5 hours, and waste like 500 dollers...i just need opinions on the snares, i play rock music with a hint of metal

if youre gonna put out that much money on a new drum, dont just go by what people tell you. you drive the 5 hours, test it yourself, hear it yourself, and feel it yourself.

What's a good snare drum?

Sometime soon I wanna get a new snare drum and I wanna know what people are using and what features about their snare the like and dislike.

Re: What's a good snare drum?

think you're asking the wrong first question. the question you SHOULD be asking is this: "i want a snare that sounds/feels/does this. any suggestions?"

the ones taht i really like is the pearl free floaters from what i have played at guitarcenter but really go with what sounds best to you. personally i like the way the starclassic maple snare sounds the dw wood one. and the ludwig supraphonic. to name a few

illy said:
think you're asking the wrong first question. the question you SHOULD be asking is this: "i want a snare that sounds/feels/does this. any suggestions?"

No i didn't, I was thinking of saying that at first but I thoguht I keep my mind open to maybe something new that I didn't think of.

Here I'll make a list for everyone to help out for me.

Snare:
Style of music:
Sound:
Pro's:
Con's:
Price:

that should be good enough for me...

Re: THE GOOD SNARE DRUM THREAD.

pretty recently (meaning a year / 6 mo) i got a 14x6.5 ludwig supraphonic. its one of the remakes of the originals but personally i love it. its got great live sound to it and sounds incredible in the studio. id say one of the only cons is the price... 500 bones!! eh...it was nice to finally get it though.

hmm...styles of music....well id say its good really good for rock / metal. i think lars from metallica uses one. hmm... id also say it sounds good enough for jazz...in studio anyways, live? not sure..

oh forgot to mention... john bonham used one (if you didnt already know). same specs as mine except, of course, he used an original.

Last edited:
Looking for both cheap/awesome snare drum

Well my budget is 199 .. I was thinking of the Joey Jordison model. But I've never heard it before. I'm a rock player and I play in church, are there any "satanic" symbols around the snare?

Re: Looking for both cheap/awesome snare drum

anson89 said:
Well my budget is 199 .. I was thinking of the Joey Jordison model. But I've never heard it before. I'm a rock player and I play in church, are there any "satanic" symbols around the snare?

I think You should play the snare You want before You'll buy it. go for a music shop where You can play it and then deicde whether it's "satanic" or it's not. and, of course, decide if it fits You in matter of sound.

cheers :)

the only thing imprinted on the snare is the slipknot S logo. look up pictures of it on the pearl website. i doubt that would be considered satanic, but some people in church could find it offending.

hey all :)

which one of this snares is the best? maybe You'll try one of them, Anson?

1. tama artwood 14x8
2. premier modern classic 14x7
3. pacific sx 14x6

I'll be glad for advices :)

OK, here I go then... I'll give my current two in regular use...

Snare: Yamaha 13x5 Maple Steve Gadd signature
Style of music: Used in everything from jazz to rock, chokes a bit in a metal setting.
Sound: Nearest comparison would be Matt Chamberlain's snare sound on the Tori Amos live disc - tight but punchy and with a nice woody snap. Really nice snare response on ghost notes, has a great crisp woody flutter without sounding "Hollow" at all even at high tensions.
Pro's: Awesome sounding, very versitile.
Con's: Black coating on hoops chips off over time, lugs as shipped are prone to slipping if you rimshot a lot. Not ideal in low tunings - but hey, it's a 13x5!
Price: $Reasonable. I got it for two hundred pounds in the UK just after the series was launched.

Snare: Ayotte Keplinger 14x5.5" Woodhoop (stainless steel shell).
Style of music: Rock. Not really suited to a jazz setting, even ghosted this is not exactly a quiet drum and you can hear the steel.
Sound: Aggressive but with a bit of warmth from the hoop. More dry than the Yamaha above, but with a bit of metal bite to it. Rimshots are nice and explosive, and it'll take a low tuning very well. Sometimes a bit lacking in character for my taste, but it's certainly a mean drum - sounds a lot better with some reverb and compression, too. I think it's probably an average (unmiked) live drum and an excellent recording one.
Pro's: Ratcheted snare strainer - you can adjust snare tension while playing! Pretty sweet. Also has key-lockable lugs, so no slipping on this drum.
Con's: IT'S !#!##*!!#FFARRGHING HEAVY! Also, wood hoops can be damaged easily by non-drumming related activities such as dropping or accidentally chipping with the metal handle part of some brushes. You have to be pretty careful with it.
Price: $Extortionate. I got mine for NZ$1300 used.

Back