What're you doing for Thanksgiving?

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
This obviously only applies to Americans(that is, unless Thanksgiving is celebrated in other countries too without my knowledge).

What are your plans for Thanksgiving? Do you spend time with family, friends, or both? If you're traveling, how far is it and for how long are you staying at you destination?

And finally: Turkey or Ham?

I will be flying to Maryland to visit my son and his family in New Market.

I will be doing absolutly nothing for thanks giving, inless someone wants to give me something, then i will give my thanks.

We do not cerbrate Thanks Giving here in England.

By the way, why do, you Yanks cerbrate TG. Is it Religious, or do you just like saying Thank You. LOL.

I do appologise for being ignorant.

It was a celebration by the original settlers giving thanks for making it through a successful planting season among others. Try Google

Woz, for the background....OK back during the primordial stages of what is America, early settlers had a big dinner to celebrate harvest, having food to get through the winter, things are pretty cool. Expect lots of praying. As it turns out, so did the Native Americans. Different religions, thankful for having food-a-plenty. So the pretty picture is that the Native Americans and settlers shared a peaceful dinner. True history isn't quite so, but there in effect is the origin of Thanksgiving. Basically it all centers around fall harvest I think.

I will be part of the cooking crew for 3 dinners. It's a big to-do every year. The first is at my Aunt Bonnie's. My Dad and I always handle the turkey and a couple other things. Each branch of the family has their own assignment. Then we truck off to my Aunt Mary's...same deal, different assignments. Then we truck it back home, where my Mom's side of the family all comes for dinner. We handle most of it, and my Mom's sisters bring their famous TG dishes. Dad and I start cooking the morning before. This year we're brining our turkeys. One will be smoked, and the other deep fried. It shall be awesome. I usually fast for a couple days to compensate all the food. TG is my fave holiday of all.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Beautiful

I won't be celebrating thanksgiving, as i'm not american, but I will be eating turkey sandwiches & watching american football.

different countries do have Thanksgivings of their own. Canadian Thanksgiving was in October...for similar reasons.

For some reason my British wife has really taken to the whole Thanksgiving thing. Myself, I don't give a damn about it. But she does the turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes and gravy and, to my great astonishment, she once even brought home some really cheesy pilgrim salt and pepper shakers and a gravy server thing that looks like a turkey. The gravy pours out the the turkey's beak. We only use those once a year.

She thinks it a real hoot, very kitsch and all, but I just think it's weird.

Not celebrated here either.....but I just may have a turkey sandwich and tip my hat to my Yankee mates, on the day.

To all my drumming bretheran, Stateside........Have a good 'un!!

a gravy server thing that looks like a turkey. The gravy pours out the the turkey's beak. We only use those once a year.

This sounds insane. British people have a similar love of turkey as it is our default christmas bird. with stuffing, etc. Actually saying that I can't wait for turkey day.

This sounds insane. British people have a similar love of turkey as it is our default christmas bird. with stuffing, etc. Actually saying that I can't wait for turkey day.

Yes, I've had many Christmas dinners in England. I dig the "crackers" but I refuse to wear the paper hat.

And what's the deal with brussel sprouts? Those things are just nasty.

Anyway, my wife finds American traditions to be quite amusing . She has a very ironic take on Thanksgiving. Myself, I don't get it at all.

Yes, I've had many Christmas dinners in England. I dig the "crackers" but I refuse to wear the paper hat.

And what's the deal with brussel sprouts? Those things are just nasty.

Anyway, my wife finds American traditions to be quite amusing . She has a very ironic take on Thanksgiving. Myself, I don't get it at all.

Ahh the good old christmas cracker paper hat. My grandparents seemed to have made it some tradition that every christmas we had to wear those, my granddad would always steal the gold one as if it made him the king of the table... erghh. The worst thing are the "toys" you get, the jokes are cool though.

As for brussel sprouts, I'm honestly not sure. The first rule of brussel sprouts are that they are only ever to be consumed at Christmas. Personally I hate them. I love the "pigs in blankets though" (sausage wrapped in bacon), those are awesome.

I would like to go to a thanksgiving celebration one day in America, it looks fun, I think I just need to find a nice american girl. One that owns a house overlooking Malibu Beach would be a good start.

Tandoori Turkey
That sounds ab-so-lute-ly delicious....​
Typically, about 11-13 are gathered at my brother-in-laws house (only 1 block away) for Thanksgiving. He deep fries 2 turkeys. My wife and I, we cook up our own bird, to supply the gravy. You get no gravy with deep fried. A plus, our house smells great all day, and we get a whole lotta leftover bird, for later sandwich making. We already cooked up one bird, this last week, just to "get with the season", so to speak.​

That sounds ab-so-lute-ly delicious...]​

Gimme flavor!!!!!

Give it a try, Harry..

1) rub the bird with vegge oil ( the usual )
2) get some Tandoori masala from you local desi store
3) mix with either yogurt or lemon juice, ( depending on your taste ) and apply.
4) marinade for 24 hours
5) roast, basting with butter
6) stuff with whatever you want but be sure to use rice as well.
7) Mint Chutney, and Cranberry Sauce will complete the story.

You will thank me, bud.

...​

Last edited:
Back