28 inch Bass drum!!!

kmbop40

HEHEHE I think the neighbors might hate me in a week when I get this baby up and running, it is a rogers black oyster pearl wrapped, 28x10" yes thats right 10" I was very surprised. It used to be an old marching drum, but I figure that I'll fix it up a bit.

So my question is this, what heads do you guys recommend for such a huge bass drum?
personally I like my bass to be pretty punchy-but boom can sometimes be good too....i guess...So i was looking online and saw super kick I's are made in a 28", but then I thought maybe a marching bass head....like the evans mx2????

So basically I have NO IDEA what I am doing as far as heads on this behemoth.

I ran a 28x14 Yamaha kick, which started out as a marcher. I added Gibraltar fold-out spurs to it. I personally like boom. And when you get into 24, 26, 28 inch kicks, isn't boom what it's about anyway? If you want punch, 20's and 22's are much easier to work with. On my 28, I ran an Ambassador reso, with a HOLZ port. Batter, I ran either Ambassador or Powerstroke 3.

I ran a 28x14 Yamaha kick, which started out as a marcher. I added Gibraltar fold-out spurs to it. I personally like boom. And when you get into 24, 26, 28 inch kicks, isn't boom what it's about anyway? If you want punch, 20's and 22's are much easier to work with. On my 28, I ran an Ambassador reso, with a HOLZ port. Batter, I ran either Ambassador or Powerstroke 3.
Yes I was thinking a Powerstroke 3 on the batter side also.

Bonzolead

Yeah, the Evans EQ1 frosted on a 26" is a cool drumhead. Punchy, but still a big sound.

On the 28", I'd say since it's only 10" deep, try either a Remo Emp (coated, clear, or smooth white) on the batter, and either a single (white or black.... or coated) or 2 ply on the front (2 ply for a deep sound and a bit less over ring).

I ran smooth white Emps on both sides on a 20X28 (and it sounded really good), so I know it'll work for a 10" deep drum.

On a 28" kick, if you use the pre-muffled heads, you can get that "inside a basketball" sound because the shell is so big (even though this shell is only be 10" deep, it'll still probably happen), and you get the impact sound bouncing around so much, which mucks up the overall sound of the drum (through a PA or when it's recorded).

The pre-muffled heads take out some stuff you do want, and take some of the control away from the sound engineer on a bigger kick drum.

I've talked to some good, touring sound guy's, and none of them have been keen on pre-muffled heads on the bigger kicks (...they aren't all that keen on huge kicks to begin with, but, too bad! :) ), & they've all pretty much said those heads will take out some stuff they'd rather have in there to tailor the kick sound to the various rooms.

But, if you are just using this at home for your enjoyment, you can get a good sound to your ears with the pre-muffled heads, but I'd still stay away from one that excessively muffles the head.

Have fun with your 28!

Sweet, I used a 28X14 Leedy for about a year, was an awesome drum but like and idiot I traded it.

I used a Remo Pinstripe on the batter side and an ebony ambassador on the front with a 6" port hole. I had a good deal of punch with that combo, and some boom, but not overly so.

HEHEHE I think the neighbors might hate me in a week when I get this baby up and running, it is a rogers black oyster pearl wrapped, 28x10" yes thats right 10" I was very surprised. It used to be an old marching drum, but I figure that I'll fix it up a bit.

So my question is this, what heads do you guys recommend for such a huge bass drum?
personally I like my bass to be pretty punchy-but boom can sometimes be good too....i guess...So i was looking online and saw super kick I's are made in a 28", but then I thought maybe a marching bass head....like the evans mx2????

So basically I have NO IDEA what I am doing as far as heads on this behemoth.

That's going to have a HUGE sound. Cool! A 10 by 28 bass has about 6,100 cubic inches of volume. I have a little 18 by 18 bass that has about 4,500 cubic inches

Sweet, I used a 28X14 Leedy for about a year, was an awesome drum but like and idiot I traded it.

I used a Remo Pinstripe on the batter side and an ebony ambassador on the front with a 6" port hole. I had a good deal of punch with that combo, and some boom, but not overly so.

A Pinstripe is a good choice too...I forgot to add that one.

And a Coated Pinstripe is a good sounding head for a slightly warmer attack.

Hey, too bad that drum got traded drumsword.
I feel your pain.
It sucks when you regret getting rid of something....if I only had that 20" crash back.....uuugghhh.

I believe Tucker Rule of Thursday uses a 28 inch bass drum. I really don't know what skins you should use, I'm just suggesting, no muffling! Let this baby sing!

there was drummer in a band here back in the 70's that used TWO 28" kicks with a 9x13 nestled between them!! killer!!!

I really don't know what skins you should use, I'm just suggesting, no muffling! Let this baby sing!

And ruin the frail mind of every sound guy you encounter haha!!
Just turn his brain into a shriveled glob of mush!

Hey, at least you'll like the sound.....

Oh my gosh I love my 28!!! So much tone!!!!!!!! Mine's a 28x16 Yamaha marching bass that I've fitted with regular kit hardware. I'm having really good luck with a clear Remo Controlled sound on the batter, and an Ambassador Smooth White on the resonant side. No pillows (that's like an unforgivable sin to me lol) but I cut a thick towel into two six inch wide strips, with one on both heads. I also had good luck with a smooth white Evans MX2 on the batter with the same Ambassador/towel strip on the resonant.

i had 28 by 14 maple bass drum and two toms made... kellar shells... you must go clear on 28 for batter... i put a fiber skyn for resonator really for visual affect... 5 inch felt on batter and it is thunderous... it took a lot of trial and error... i m sure with time and patience i could get an even better sound... regardless i cannot wait to play live and blow people away...

Back