The Best Hard Rock/Metal Snare!

Maybe more legend than truth eh?

After hearing about these mysterious steel Supras for so long yet never seeing a shred of evidence to support their existence, I'm almost willing to bet everything I own that it's definitely more legend than truth.

I've learned to expect the unexpected where Ludwig are concerned. They've done some strange stuff over the years and every time I think I've got a handle of them, someone comes along with supporting evidence of the drum that I was convinced they didn't make. BUT.........I think it's safe to say that the steel shelled Supra is nothing more than a myth. If not, surely we'd have seen something a little more tangible than just whispers from the shadows by now. If they exist, then it's a better kept secret than the contents of the hangars at Area 51.

As to a metal/hard rock snare? 6.5 deep is all I'll suggest. Shell material is entirely your choice. I've seen just about everything used to great effect at one point or another.

I've been looking at Mapex snares recently and I've come to like the Sledgehammer and the Machete (Both 14" x 6.5" I think). Also the Tama Power Maple seems interesting.

Anyone has any experience with any of these snares?

Thanks.

I tried both the Sledgehammer (hammered brass) and the Machete (steel) at my local shop here in Taiwan. The Sledgehammer was a beast, and sounded amazing. I was really close to buying it, and I might still go back and get one, but my buddy is tempting me with a brass snare for about half the price. But that's another story...

My experience with the Machete wasn't as good. It rang. And rang and rang and rang. It's a super loud drum, but the ringing just wasn't for me. I have the Blade (the exact same drum, just 5.5 x 14) and that extra inch difference is everything. I use the Blade for all kinds of playing, and it sounds amazing. Much more controlled and focused, with just the right amount of ring for my ears.

Hope that helps...

I recently made myself an awesome workhorse. It's 14x6.5 black nickel over brass with a die cast hoop on the top and a 2.3 on the bottom. It's got a Puresound super-twisty snare, and evans EC reverse dot head on the batter side.

I also made one that has similar heads/snare but with a titanium shell and yami style wood hoops it's pretty rad. The hoops add some character to the already incredible sound of titanium.

I included a pic of both just for illustrative purposes. I recently built a 13x7 black brass snare for a buddy up near Anchorage in AK, that thing sounded pretty sick too.

Attachments

• IMG_5531.jpg
    IMG_5531.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 2,299
  • IMG_5495-2.jpg
    IMG_5495-2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 2,318
I tried both the Sledgehammer (hammered brass) and the Machete (steel) at my local shop here in Taiwan. The Sledgehammer was a beast, and sounded amazing. I was really close to buying it, and I might still go back and get one, but my buddy is tempting me with a brass snare for about half the price. But that's another story...

My experience with the Machete wasn't as good. It rang. And rang and rang and rang. It's a super loud drum, but the ringing just wasn't for me. I have the Blade (the exact same drum, just 5.5 x 14) and that extra inch difference is everything. I use the Blade for all kinds of playing, and it sounds amazing. Much more controlled and focused, with just the right amount of ring for my ears.

Hope that helps...

Hey,
Thanks for the info. Maybe the problem with the Machete was the tuning? I listened to the soundfiles on the Mapex website and I like the Machete better, but I'm not sure if it is the tuning or its just me. Anyways, thanks either way.

Mark

I have a sledgehammer and it's one sweet snare! VERY powerful but it can purr as well. It's heavy and would do well in the situation you're describing. Taye also makes some great snares including the brass one mentioned earlier and a stainless steel 6.5" deep one that sounds an awful lot like Ian Paice's snare. You could always pick up one of his signature snares. There's a lot of them out there. Ludwig has two winners with the Black Magic and Supralites and there's always Pearl.

Hi guys! Does anyone know who can make me a custom bronze shell? I'm after a certain thickness and size, possibly hammering (not sure yet), but I can't find a place to ask for it. :'(

14x6,5 or 14x6
2mm minimum - 3mm maximum (sweet spot would be 2,5 I think)

in case of a thinner one, I'd choose a hammered shell, but on a thicker one, not sure.

This is the most baited question. Alright I'll bite. They're all great for rock/metal. There I said it. Successful musicians playing rock and metal use maple, brass, bronze, steel, aluminum, titanium, ad nauseum. All of these work well in the hands of pros and we all love the various results. Heck even that Supraphonic thing everyone keeps talking about works too, though personally if I had one I'd sell it to one of these guys. Your descriptive terms such as "crack" and "ring" and "overtones" or "body" are all subjective terms. Everyone uses them and they all mean something different to different people. If you ask us what to buy and we tell you, and you go out and buy that drum, then your problem isn't indecision or inexperience. Go, explore, find, listen and most of all make your own choice. If you listen to us and ultimately find that you don't like the drum we suggest, then you and you alone have made the mistake. Seriously, trust you're own decision, and if you make a mistake, learn from it. Happy hunting.

The Ludwig Supra phonic or the Ludwig Black Beauty, but DW makes some excellent snares (All the big players do). I just like metal snares for everything.

Shoot I play some metal and payed 40 bucks for my snare. It's a late 80's Yamaha steel 6 1/2" X 14" I really like it. I sold the Dynasonic COB to fund a cym purchase and haven't missed it at all. The chrome is flaking of the hoops, and pitting on the shell just a little, but I like it.

I agree with the others.

If you want a metal snare, grab a used Acrolite for $50-100. If you want a heavier overtone, grab a used Supra for $200.

Almost every company makes a Supra-clone. I'd go for one of these if I wanted to keep a kit homogeneous, for example I'd get a Sensitone if I owned a Pearl kit and wanted it to match.

I often see people with moon-gel on their supra 100% of the time. I'm of the opinion that this is a mistake, and they probably should have bought a wood snare. The entire point of the metal shell is the overtone, and to let it sing.

There's no "best", but personally, I'd recommend a brass shell drum: they don't have too many crazy overtones and have plenty of tone. My favorite is my 13x6" Ahead Chrome Over Brass, though most people would probably go for the 14" version. They also have a black chrome version- the hardware's chrome but the shell is black. I got mine used for $250, new, they're around $340.

As for heads, I'd recommend a simple coated or clear Power Center Reverse Dot (I don't know if Ahead fixed this, but certain Remo and Aquarian batter heads are a really tight fit on my 13" so I usually go with Evans), a Hazy 200 or Hazy Diplomat for the snare side (usually I'd recommend a 300 but these actually benefit a lot from the additional sensitivity), and some Puresound Blasters for a more ringy snare wire sound or Puresound Equalizers for less 'rattle'.

Also look at the Crush Hand Hammered line, the Mapex Sledgehammer, and the Gretsch Steve Ferrone model.

I've got the 14 version of this snare. Don't ask me why but I choose to play this drum over much more expensive drums including my black beauty and aluminium starphonic.

I was going to suggest a steel drum though. I think steel is one of the most aggressive sounding metals. I love the starphonic steel 13x7. While that is a deep snare, I think shallower snares will give you more of a responsive crack.

I like really dry snares, and I find the deeper snares I own to be very ringy.

My '65 Acrolite is my favorite snare. Despite its shallow depth, it still continues to sound far bigger than my LM402 or my 14x8" Walnut and Maple snares and that snare still projects very well.

The only other snare I own that I'd probably prefer for metal is my 13x6" segmented oak snare. I ordered a clear center dot head by accident for it and decided to try it anyway. Pure magic - that snare is the only one I own that I actually enjoy the sound of its ring and feel like it adds to the tone of the drum. Plus - that thing is freaking INSANELY loud.

Back