Getting that "heartbeat" sound on the bass drum

jcpc88

So, I've decided to upgrade my bass drum heads. I have a Standard 22" bass drum (Tama Rockstar). I know it's not a pro kit, but I want to get the best I can out of it. I want to get a warm sound, and getting that deep "heartbeat" kick (a lot of low end, medium to little attack). I was researching, when I found out that it bassicaly comes down to either the EMAD 2 or the Aquarian SKII (some might include the PowerStroke 3). I don't have access to a local store to test them out on a drum kit before buying them, so I would be purchasing them online. Any advice on which of these should I buy so I can get the sound I want?

Can't go wrong with either one really. I prefer the aquarian superkick II, however, the emad has foam rings included so you can adjust the dampening to aquire the sound that you're after. I'd say try the emad since its more adjustable for you.

I also recommend 1 ply either EMAD or SK1, I've used both and prefer the SK1 a bit myself, but every drum is different.

I put a Emad on a cheap beat up Pearl Target kick last week. It made that 20" kick sound like a pro series 24" monster. I love the emads.

I too am wonder about the SK2 tho. I haven't heard one yet. Everybody says they are basically the same as the Emad 2, with the exception that the Emad has more muffling options. To those who have played both, are there any tone and attack differences between the 2?

I'm not trying to steal your thread jcpc88, I'm just curious of the two heads myself.

Evans website has sound samples of all their different heads on a standard bass drum. Very useful before you buy.

Do the muffling rings in the Emad2 stay secure after installing? I read somewhere a few were falling out or loosening.

That said, the EMad2's seems to have more options available and who doesn't love more options?

BTW I use an SK2 on a 18x22 DW Collector's BD and it does give me a deep, boom with nice attack. I have a BD pillow inside just to absorb frequencies and bring out the fundamental pitch. It doesn't touch the heads. (See Bob Gatzen). I've heard the EMAD2 on a Ludwig BD and it kicked ass. Nice, deep, powerful. As long as the rings stay mounted I'd go for that one next myself.

Remember though, many of drummers really like the open, resonating boom of a bass drum. These options limit that.

Do the muffling rings in the Emad2 stay secure after installing? I read somewhere a few were falling out or loosening.

That said, the EMad2's seems to have more options available and who doesn't love more options?

BTW I use an SK2 on a 18x22 DW Collector's BD and it does give me a deep, boom with nice attack. I have a BD pillow inside just to absorb frequencies and bring out the fundamental pitch. It doesn't touch the heads. (See Bob Gatzen). I've heard the EMAD2 on a Ludwig BD and it kicked ass. Nice, deep, powerful. As long as the rings stay mounted I'd go for that one next myself.

Remember though, many of drummers really like the open, resonating boom of a bass drum. These options limit that.

The flaws with the Emad series batter heads have been addressed. What was happening was the plastic ring that held the foam ring in place would eventually seperate from the head itself. Also, there was some that I used that the plastic foam holder would crack and cause the foam to not be pressed against the head evenly. It also made a bad rattle sound from the separated parts to bounce off the head.

The new Emad series foam ring holders are glued on much better are built slightly thicker and tuffer. You can't go wrong with a new Emad, Emad 2, or Gmad.

I too am wonder about the SK2 tho. I haven't heard one yet. Everybody says they are basically the same as the Emad 2, with the exception that the Emad has more muffling options. To those who have played both, are there any tone and attack differences between the 2?
Yes, the SK2 is more muffled than the Emad2, even with the thickest ring in it. I find both are fairly stifling of tone. IMO, the single ply Emad offers a superior balance of desirable features.

The flaws with the Emad series batter heads have been addressed.
Although I love the Emad head, there's still one downside that hasn't been addressed. After a while, the foam ring tends to rattle in the hard plastic retaining ring. They need to either thicken the foam ring or decrease depth in the hard plastic retaining ring. Other than that = great heads.

Yes, the SK2 is more muffled than the Emad2, even with the thickest ring in it. I find both are fairly stifling of tone. IMO, the single ply Emad offers a superior balance of desirable features.

Although I love the Emad head, there's still one downside that hasn't been addressed. After a while, the foam ring tends to rattle in the hard plastic retaining ring. They need to either thicken the foam ring or decrease depth in the hard plastic retaining ring. Other than that = great heads.

I have a couple Emad's kicking around here. I'm ganna try filling the plastic foam holder ring up with spray foam. Does it sound crazy? LOL. You never know, it may be a quick fix for the rattle.

Back