$100... Best pedal for my budget

JerryTheCat

The title explains it.
Looking for a single pedal. Preferably new, but not mandatory. I might be able to bump my budget a little bit...

Tama Iron Cobra 600.

HP600D-large.jpg

You really need to play some, and then determine what you think feels the best.​

I always thought the DW 3000 was a great bargain for under 100.

I have a DW 5000 I got new for $100 (it was a crazy sale at GC). I have tried some of the lower level DW's and they are very good. I also was blown away by the cheaper Iron Cobras that I tried. I personally feel you can't go wrong with DW and Tama pedals. When you get into nicer ones such as Speed Cobra or DW 9000 they can be really different, but the cheaper DW and Tama pedals seem to just be basic, with solid speed and power. I would have no trouble picking up any pedal either company makes.

Pearl P-900

Not the latest iteration but it was "upgraded" just last year. Works great 50 or 60 bucks.

If you go to a Guitar Center, back in the drum room they have an I-beam with a bunch of pedals affixed to it so you can stomp on them all and see.

Speed-king type of pedals are all over the place. If you want more than that, you're paying for more than that.

I'm a member of the "Church of the DW 5000". You can find our lord and savior for $150 new and $100 used.

I wonder what pedal he got. I was going to suggest the Pearl P-930. I just bought one and I think it is a great pedal with great action. I played a gig on another guy's kit who had a DW5000 single pedal and I didn't like it as much as this Pearl one. My single Axis pedal from the 90's still blows away every other pedal I've tried though.

Lately, I have become a huge fan of the Camco pedal. Particularly, the Tama reissue of it a few years ago.

Nice lightweight pedal for about a $100. I picked one up on clearance for about $70 I think.

I just bought a mapex Mars series pedal for $62.00 shipped and i really like it.

It has a baseplate and a double chain and pretty much everything needed.

Dont think i have bad taste in pedals!
I'm used to using an Axis A double on my main kit, but i wanted a decent single pedal for my right hand dominant set up.
The cheapo mars pedal suited me very well.

mapex-mars-series-p600-single-bass-drum-pedal.jpg

I happen to like the PDP 500 series pedal. It has a double chain, base plate, side clamp and more, along with a solid, quick feel to it. Plus you can get one new for under $80.

I'll admit I don't really like the beater, but I had a couple of Iron Cobra beaters laying around, so I swapped it out for one of those, and now no complaints whatsoever.

In fact, I've been contemplating getting a double pedal for my gigging kit (that's where I'm using this pedal), but after auditioning a bunch of more expensive pedals, I think that if I do get one, I'll just get the double version of this pedal. It's only $150, plus it feels nearly as good as the $400 Yamaha pedal I liked the most.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 298
Vintage Ludwig Speed Kings can be had for $50 almost daily and there's no modern pedal that can even touch it for that price IMO. In fact - there's two on Guitar Center's site right now:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ludwig-...-Single-Bass-Drum-Pedal-110368340-i3858944.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ludwig-...-Single-Bass-Drum-Pedal-110347931-i3839403.gc

They'll probably require some cleaning, but you'll have one of the best pedals ever made, for super cheap. Trust me - I'm not a vintage snob at all and never understood the love for old pedals. I played Axis Longboards, Pearl Demon Drives, DW5000s, 9000s and Tama Iron Cobras for years before finally taking the leap and seeing what all the fuss was about on the Speed King. Haven't even touched my other pedals since - it's the smoothest pedal I've ever used and it was dirt cheap.

+1 on the Speed King.

I would also recommend the Tama Iron Cobra Junior. I've had one in my practice set-up for quite some time and it is very fast and responsive. It has a lot of features that Tama profiles on its higher-end pedals (power glide offset, spring tension adjustment, etc.). I bought mine used for something like $40 and it is my favorite pedal.

Back