Gavin Harrison here!

You know, my faforite song on DEADWING is Lazarus. Whad do you tell about this song? Have you midi files and drums transcriptions of songs from Deadwing and In Absentia. Very much it would be desirable to play these songs. Please. )))

hi Gavin,

I was just wondering if you have a clinic coming to Georgia sometime soon.

And if you do, pls do it in Atlanta Pro Percussion, like Stanton Moore, we apperciate it more than those people in Guitar Center. Plus APP has a whole huge room just for clinics.
Stay Fresh,

Chris

Awesome! Do I sense the Thomas Haake influence making a showing there with the china-riding stuff, Gavin?

This DVD I think I may well need to get, that was really great...

Those Sonors sound absolutely phenomenal. Damn the torpedoes, one day or another a Designer Series I will have. The cymbal song was also bloody brilliant. Some really great musical phrasing ideas. Great, great work. Liking your 8-strand snare wires too. Different tastes but it sounds great.

Hey Gavin,

I was just wondering how long you practiced drums as a child and how long you practiced them now? Like hrs.

And i was just wondering what your practice routine (sp?) consits of?

God Bless,

Chris

Hi meandhimcallitus,
When I'm not touring I tend to play the drums everyday if I can. Maybe a couple of hours - it depends if I have any inspiring ideas I want to explore.
I tend not to practise technique as such - because I find my mind goes to sleep. I prefer to think of an idea first - and then try to play it. If I can't play it - THEN I work on the technique necessary to perform it.

I went through a period of practising 6 hours a day in the early 1990's. I had the 'practise bug' and I just really wanted to develop a lot of ideas.

I miss practising when I'm on tour - because there's very little opportunity to do so.

Cheers
Gavin

Gavin Harrison said:
I tend not to practise technique as such - because I find my mind goes to sleep. I prefer to think of an idea first - and then try to play it. If I can't play it - THEN I work on the technique necessary to perform it.

Gavin,

What do you mean by your mind goes to sleep? Could you please explain that a bit? And when you say you think of the idea first then the technique, is that something you have always followed or are you speaking as of now?

Thank you for your time,
Christopher.

Hi Drum-Head,
what I mean is that whilst I'm sitting there playing rolls and rudiments - my mind is dormant. It's not creative - and after I've played rudiments for an hour - I get on the drums and can't think what to play. I'm not saying that you shouldn't practise rudiments - of course not - but for me I needed to stimulate my brain for creative ideas.
Now if I want to practise rudiments I do so on a pad whilst watching TV. Your muscles need exercising of course - but so does the big fat muscle in my head....and when I play the drums - it's my head that has the ideas and not the muscles in my arms and legs...otherwise I just play a load of pre-rehearsed licks.

Cheers
Gavin

Gavin Harrison said:
Hi Drum-Head,
what I mean is that whilst I'm sitting there playing rolls and rudiments - my mind is dormant. It's not creative - and after I've played rudiments for an hour - I get on the drums and can't think what to play. I'm not saying that you shouldn't practise rudiments - of course not - but for me I needed to stimulate my brain for creative ideas.
Now if I want to practise rudiments I do so on a pad whilst watching TV. Your muscles need exercising of course - but so does the big fat muscle in my head....and when I play the drums - it's my head that has the ideas and not the muscles in my arms and legs...otherwise I just play a load of pre-rehearsed licks.

Cheers
Gavin

Thank you for the answer!

Hi Gavin!

Congrats on your newly fresh updated website, Looks great!!
Also I can`t really explain how much Im looking forward to recieving "Rhytmic Horizons" in the mail.

Lately I`ve tried to get into the displacement business. I just wondered: when you go from playing a beat, to displacing it, Do you ever count the pulse or do you just feel it?
I find that playing the simplest form of the "Rockbeat" 2 and fours.. haha.. I start to think it the other way around.
When I play to a click, I can pull it off, but without the clicktrack I get tricked by my own illusion. Any tricks to help keep the pulse, or is it just practice, practice, practice?

By the way "So Called Friend" is a killer song, and your drumming on the Rockpalast version of this song is STUNNING!
Any chance that track will be included on th PT live dvd or is that a secret?

You`re the best!
Keep it Coming!

Just a quick note to say that you are fantastic drummer indeed Mr Harrison. Just seen the 2 latest videos put up in the video section and think the cymbal song is mental!

Keep it up!

Hi cvighals,
thanks for your message - regarding youir question about displacement - yes there is an element of "practise practise practise" I just play them really slowly and learn them as a new rhythm. I never put myself in a position where I fool myself into hearing the illusion.

It's easier with a click - but important to also try it without a click. It's good brain food!!!

So Called Friend - may be on the new DVD - I don't know the exact track list at the moment. I like playing that song but it's very hard work to perform it.

Thanks Titansound,
glad you enjoyed the clips.

Cheers
Gavin

Back