drumsourceuk

a custom drum buyers guide? i'm working on one for my custom drums blog - it's primarily focussed at drummers in the UK but might be useful to others too. it will include tips on where to start when looking for a bespoke manufacturer (including a business directory), what to ask, things you should know before hand, ways to achieve the sound you desire and more..

let me know your thoughts. thanks!

I think that would be an awesome idea. While I'm not looking for a custom kit, I would at least be interested in reading about that. By all means, go for it.

That being said, why bother when there's Guru? They're all you need!

I think that would be an awesome idea. While I'm not looking for a custom kit, I would at least be interested in reading about that. By all means, go for it.

Andy would argue that they're not a 'custom' shop ;) Although I'm sure they'll do whatever you want since they're not locked in with tooling like a big manufacturer.

Andy would argue that they're not a 'custom' shop ;)

it depends on your notion of custom products i suppose.. they have a couple set ranges but they're a manufacturer of bespoke equipment. incredible gear either way!

haha they do take it to another level indeed! well i wont be going so far in to the science as much as explaining a little about the market place, how to approach the subject of buying bespoke, shells built in house vs shells bought in etc etc... hopefully it'll be a good read :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, certainly interested! :) There's some great builders in the UK, & there's also some who "dabble". There's a world of difference between those buying in shells, hanging components from the Asian parts bin, & offering any finish you want, compared to those with a defined product. I'm not being a snob about this, there's something there for everyone. I know of at least two serious operations who offer custom build kits at very reasonable prices. Those guys know what they're doing, & the finished result delivers a very strong value for money performance. There are others however, who frankly have no idea what they're doing.

The UK drum build industry is showing real innovation right now. Everything from Corian shells to aluminium & everything in between. It's a pleasure to be in that mix.

A guide that strips down the hype & places facts in the hands of potential buyers is a great idea. What do you offer - how are your shells made - where do you source your raw materials/parts - what expertise can the customer expect to draw on in terms of getting that desired sound - bearing edge options, etc, etc.

On "custom shop" definition, a custom builder is one who builds anything the customer wants to order. Choose your lugs, style, sizes, finishes, etc. Then there are others, like us, like DW, like Sonor with their SQ2 range, who build defined ranges/products but with certain customisable elements. It's all "custom", just a question of degree & focus.

Happy to be involved, just let me know what you need :)

Andy.

Yes, certainly interested! :)

The UK drum build industry is showing real innovation right now.

On "custom shop" definition, a custom builder is one who builds anything the customer wants to order. Choose your lugs, style, sizes, finishes, etc. Then there are others, like us, like DW, like Sonor with their SQ2 range, who build defined ranges/products but with certain customisable elements. It's all "custom", just a question of degree & focus.

Happy to be involved, just let me know what you need :)

Andy.

Hey andy! cheers for the input. i had envisaged that this was the way you were building your brand - so that clears that up then haha.

i'd love to send you the draft beforehand for your review and input.. as you know i've been in drumming retail for a little while now and am really excited to get involved in the developing "bespoke" (or in your case high end independent) market. with a wave of new young and aspiring drum manufacturers. it's an exciting time for manufacturing and indeed the consumer but to put it diplomatically - the market place would benefit from an education i think. I hope you'll agree? maybe i can bridge that gap ;)

Hey andy! cheers for the input. i had envisaged that this was the way you were building your brand - so that clears that up then haha.

i'd love to send you the draft beforehand for your review and input.. as you know i've been in drumming retail for a little while now and am really excited to get involved in the developing "bespoke" (or in your case high end independent) market. with a wave of new young and aspiring drum manufacturers. it's an exciting time for manufacturing and indeed the consumer but to put it diplomatically - the market place would benefit from an education i think. I hope you'll agree? maybe i can bridge that gap ;)
I'm happy to look it over. You can find my email address under contacts in my forum profile. Alternatively, email me via the contact on our Guru site :)

Back