Setting up a band - tips; dealing with people

Liebe zeit

Silver Member
I'm in the process of attempting to set up a 60s soul/funk band (Stax, Motown, rare soul etc).

I've got a core - me, frontman, guitar - that I know well, but am advertising for bass, horns etc. I've had a good response and hope to get people in a room together in the next couple of weeks.

The one thing that concerns me is how to deal with people I don't think are up to it musically or attitude-wise. It's been my baby so far, but am aware that that only amounts to the initial idea, a few adverts and conversations. I'm aware that bands tend to get a life of their own but I want to ensure it stays something like the idea I have for it.

So, the question is, should I set myself up as 'bandleader', should I be prepared to say to people, "The idea I have for the band is this . . . I think we/you need to play like this, that or the other to fit the bill . . . etc etc."

I'm kind of answering my own question here, ie be honest and straight with people and argue my case well, praise where due and careful, diplomatic 'guidance' where necessary.

I'm just asking because I've only been in bands with people I know before. I also think I've got a great idea for a band and don't want to lose it/see it diluted.

It sounds like a great idea.
But its your ad, you are the leader and so will have to 'lead'. Not easy, you need to have all new members buy in to your vision, which is not identical to theirs, and also you are the drummer (many musicians may never see that person as band leader).
Best if everybody can flex a bit, including you, because you are not James Brown, nor Buddy Rich.

Be the band leader !

I'm 100% sure about this. You must assert yourself as the leader from day one !

It won't be easy. Musicians usually have huge egos.

For rehearsals, set up your drums in front of the band facing them.
For shows, set up your drums on the side of the band so that your left side faces the audience. Lead the band !

Who says drummers have to be set up behind the band ????

1962491.jpeg

My opinion is take some control but share in expression. I feel that every member of a band should be allowed to let some of there self come through into the music. Obviously they have to be within reason and a good musician though. Most problems that I have seen in other bands or bands I have been a part of is one person dominating other members. Both heavier bands I was in members felt it was ok to pretty much compose whole drum tracks without my (drummer input). That type of situation becomes way to much for members to be happy and not feel like they are part of a dictatorship. In short just guide the ideas but don't constrain them.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The band I play in is pretty democratic when it comes to songwriting. That said, the chap who set the band up (singer/acoustic guitar) tends to hold just a touch more sway and we tend to ultimately take a bit of a lead from him, purely because its pretty obvious its his baby at the end of the day.

Nothings ever been said about this - its always been a very natural reaction.

By forming the band, explaining to new members what its about at your initial few practices, I'd be very surprised if a similar feel didn't emerge. Ultimately, people are aware that you're setting it all up, you've got that extra bit of overall vision and ultimately you're the one in charge.

Drummers are very often excellent band leaders. There are many famous examples.
Go for it but be flexible with your thinking while not sacrificing the skill level you are seeking.

Sounds like you need to "lead" the band. The best case scenario will be one where you establish a clear arrangement from day one, and have charts ready to go for everybody. That way, it will be clear who is the person organizing/in charge, and your idea for the group will be expressed on paper and right in front of the players. Chart out the horn lines, in each of their keys, so you know all of the parts are covered, etc.

If you try to "lead" the group by standing in front and talking a whole bunch, sorting out everybody's issues one by one, some people will check out. Have everything prepared and ready to go, and give them the charts for the tunes you want to work on at the NEXT rehearsal.

Honestly i think the hardest part is going to be charting all the songs out to get that sound you are going for. As the drummer/conductor you are going to have to know every arrangement note for note and probably have to write them out yourself. Unless you know a guy who can chart out stuff for you quickly and cheaply (i doubt it, most arrangers get $50-100 per 4 measure page of full score.) Sounds like a really fun project though so i hope you bring it off.

It's your idea and vision. You put the ads out, etc. The band will find its own way eventually, but right now it will need a leader. Every band I have ever been in needed a lot of direction in the beginning. After awhile, the individual members' personalities will start to emerge, and then it will become more of a "democracy".

Unless you really want to be the band leader. In that case, you are choosing the songs, making the arrangements, getting the gigs, taking care of the publicity, paying everyone.... That is a LOT of work. If that is the case, the band members are your employees. Sometimes you won't get paid, and there will be times when you are paying the band out of your own pocket. I occasionally fill in for a band leader when his drummer can't make it. I enjoy it because I know it's guaranteed money, and I just show up, set up, and play. I probably wouldn't enjoy it full time though. And yes, he "conducts" the band during the show. Very old school, and not a lot of musicians get the opportunity to work this way anymore.

I would say that leading a band is kind of like herding cats. Unless you spell out everything from the start, everyone will want to do their thing. Then comes all the stuff expected from a leader: Scheduling rehearsals; Booking gigs; Charting the parts, etc. I would suggest hiring a member of the horn section to be the section leader. They can work out all the horn parts and rehearse on their own and then get together with the full band when everyone has their stuff down.

Back