Important announcement - Guru Drums

Andy

Honorary Member
I wanted to post this here first, although this press release will appear elsewhere this evening too. Happy to add detail, although I think the statement states all the basics.

It just remains for me to thank all of you, this forum, & the entire community for such wonderful support from the very start. I post this with a very heavy heart.

My fondest regards, Andy.

Attachments

• Guru Drums announcement 900.jpg
    Guru Drums announcement 900.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 785
Wow Andy I understand completely and I'm supportive of your decision-but right now I can't breathe from the gut punch. Best wishes though Andy-you can retire from the profession with pride in job well done-believe me so many owners, peers, and fans appreciate your integrity, effort, and high standards. Hey my ovangkol hoops have increased in value-I promise I'll never sell them to Jo Jo LOL. I'll never sell them period. I was just checking out your site shopping area and I see two kits and multiple snares-that it? Being on blood thinners staying out of the shop area is a great idea. As I age my skin is so frail every time I go in the woods I come out a bloody mess. Your not retiring from Fired Up are you? I don't think my heart can take it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is completely understandable, but completely sad. You have always taken great pride in your business and brand, and I can only imagine the swirl of emotions you're experiencing right now. Support and respect in equal measures, and I hope you continue to recover.

So what you had about a 7 year run with Guru? Even if someone bought it....they aren't Andy Crosby. The world just lost some great instruments and instrument makers.

Will Dean continue making Guru Drums as he did before you joined forces?

What do you think the chances of selling the business are?

I'm guessing you won't sell to just anybody.

I just wonder what the hell you will do with all the time you are freeing up.

You're not the kind to sit home watching tv.

You must have thought about this.

I'd rather have Andy and no Guru drums, than no Andy and no Guru drums.

I'm very grateful that I got what I needed from you. Who could have seen this coming?

Debt of gratitude owed to you for everything you did and are.

Of course health and family come first before business. Hoping that success follows you in all your efforts.

I'm convinced your drums will be cherished and coveted as collectable right with the other famous names of the drum building craft.

I'm sure you didn't make this decision on the spur of the moment, so I'm behind you 100%. Without your health, you are no good to anyone. Rest and relax and heal. Best wishes. johnny

Not the news I was exactly expecting to hear today.

Totally behind your decision. Family and health first. You've made the wise choice here, no matter how difficult it was to make.

Andy, you're one of a kind! Appreciate you more than you'll ever know. Thanks for answering all my questions and for the "Guru Education".

Indebted.

Health and family come first, a well earned retirement, although I reckon there's gonna be some crazy snares coming out of the shed when you get bored!

See ya in Manchester!

This is such a bummer. I now have no future set of Ferrari quality drums to lust after if and how I ever get any extra cash.

I wish you the best for whatever the future holds, Andy. Your health is #1, and your decision is completely understandable.

Not surprised to hear this, given the recent events. You have made an impact in the drumming world and set very high standards. I can only imagine what you have so painstakingly created will continue to drive the instrument and industry to new heights.

You are absolutely making the right decision for your health and family. Glad you're slowing things down to some extent.

Andy, your ethics and character have never wavered. I know this decision must have been extremely hard but at the same time what was best for you and your family.

I'm very proud and honored to own and play a Guru snare. It's truly the most exquisite snare I've ever heard or played. Nothing compares to it. Thank you Andy for all you've done for drummers and the drumming community. You truly are a gem of a human being.

This is such a bummer. I now have no future set of Ferrari quality drums to lust after if and how I ever get any extra cash.

I wish you the best for whatever the future holds, Andy. Your health is #1, and your decision is completely understandable.

That was my first selfish thought, too. Guru is a category of it's own and I had a quite long term goal to get myself one o' them suckers.

Maybe Larry will give me his guru gear when he's got too much stuff again. Sigh.

I'm very proud and honored to own and play a Guru snare. It's truly the most exquisite snare I've ever heard or played. Nothing compares to it.

+1 I'm absolutely, utterly humbled to play something of this quality.

I've wondered if you ever felt like Stradivarius handing one of his violins to a gorilla when you shipped me my snares.

Thank you all for your kind words & best wishes. I've been overwhelmed by the responses & kindness over the last couple of hours, as well as requests to buy the last of our instruments.

Here's a couple of answers:

I'm not giving up playing - quite the reverse. This will hopefully release more time next year for playing activities.

Dean will not be continuing with shell production outside of existing commitments or facilitating a handover if that should be required.

I'll never say never to building drums again long term, but it's not something I'm planning on doing. Certainly, the chances of me ever building full kits again is zero.

There will be a list of final build instruments published in due course.

We will not be taking on any more commissions.

I will retain the finishing shop for some time to honour our commitment to service, as well as availability of bespoke Guru components.

If there's any news of continuation under different ownership, I'll be sure to provide details.

As I don't own an Origin series kit, I just might build a show stopper as my personal legacy instrument. I'll continue to gig & record my walnut Tour series kit. I'm also refurbishing the original exoskeletal prototype kit next year.

Back