Open/close technique

I´ve seen that video before dude and that´s a very cool one :)

I have been using this technique for a long time now. When you can master it, you shoul dhave no troubles beating the WFD for single stroke roll. - and it wont look like your just vibrating.

it is a great technique!...but,can someone explain the grip on the open and close positions detailed?I mean..how do we grip the drumsticks after it hit the drum and we take the open position?And how do we do the same thing when it hit the drum and take the close position?

I take it you're referring to Derricks vid?

it is a great technique!...but,can someone explain the grip on the open and close positions detailed?I mean..how do we grip the drumsticks after it hit the drum and we take the open position?And how do we do the same thing when it hit the drum and take the close position?

It's easy bro:

I think that this technique can be applied on any grip -> french, american and german
I use the german grip though.

So begin first with a free stroke, then let the stick rebound and catch the stick after the rebound. Then repeat ;)

A better explination would be downloading derrick pope's or tim waterson's video about the open/close technique... I strongly recomend that

basically what you do is do a normal wrist stroke, and let the stick rebound fully but keep your hand in the down position. then close your back fingers, pivoting the stick on your index finger/thumb and getting it to hit again, 2 hits from 1 wrist stroke. check out derrick's single stroke roll video and apply it to two hands (or just one)

Man, this guy knows what he's talking about. You can tell by the precision ( ...and I don't mean speed ) at which he executes this technique.

If you stop and reflect on all of the ways you can apply this technique around your kit - either implicitly, or explicitly - and one begins to realize just how general this skill is. ...Absolutely indispensible.

Check out this other video about the Open/Close Technique. It's one of Gordy's student's, or so he says... Pretty cool vid as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM_QOSvJJSo

Yes, I've seen this one too! very cool! I've been using the open/close lots of things:
I even restarted practising this technique yesterday. It's extremly usefull. I find it cool for single-stroke rolls, hammer-blasts (hands play unison with the feet), 16th notes... I find it very usefull in drum n' bass (music style that I'm trying to play on the drums - so cool!) it gives a really nice feel.

Well you can use the open/close for everything I guess :D

Here's a question that I've always had in the back of my mind: when do you use each technique?

There are a lot of different ways to move the stick: wrist only, wrist & fingers, fingers only, arm & wrist, open/close, etc - I'm just curious if people tend to find a favorite and stick with it, or do you use each one at a different point in your playing?

Here's a question that I've always had in the back of my mind: when do you use each technique?

There are a lot of different ways to move the stick: wrist only, wrist & fingers, fingers only, arm & wrist, open/close, etc - I'm just curious if people tend to find a favorite and stick with it, or do you use each one at a different point in your playing?

Hey there!
Know what? that's a good question :D

Here's my view about how I use diferent things when drumming:
Well I've been drumming since I was 15. Now I'm 22 which means that's 7 years of drumming. But I felt that I just strated playing drums for 2 years because it was only 2 years ago that I've been exposed to tons of information about the basics of drumming... like how to hold a stick, using rebound, what is the fulcrum, using wrist, fingers, open/close, moeller, heel down, heel up, flatfoot, rudiments, time signatures, etc...

These are things that felped me a lot.. Before knowing these stuff I was just that drummer that used to say to himself "no pain no gain" which is in my opinion the drummer's worst quote enemy!...

So when I started to learn the free-stroke I sais to my self "well, drumming is all about wirsts"... until I learned using the freestroke with the fingers (bouncing the stick) so I said "man this looks cool, I think drumming doesn't requiere wrists at all" and then when I learned the moeller technique from Derrick Pope (EXCELENT VIDEO!!) I changed once again my view on drumming like "wow, I never thought that you could use your arm in a relaxed way to whip the sticks...I'm only going to use the moeller" and then on another video of Derrick Pope about the open/close technique (another EXCELENT VIDEO!!)
and I really was really impressed on this technique that once again with stupid thoughts I said "well, so long to moeller... I'm, going to stick only with the "O/C (open/close)"

What I want to say is that after all this exposure of rich information on drumming I asked myself some stuff and maybe these are the questions that most guys here questioned thereselves:

If we are going to use just wirsts for power, then how are we going to get faster but softer without using the fingers?

If we are to play softer with the fingers, then how can we play accented with unaccented notes without using the whipping motion or the open/close motion..

So which one is best for drumming in general?
NONE!! all of them are necessary!!

They are different tools for the job and you can't just rely on one!
When I want to play faster, I use the open/close technique and If I want to use accents, I use the open/close with the moeller (sounds weird but believe me it's possible).

Try to be musical with these tools.
One quote that I love is from Jojo Mayer and he said it on his DVD "technique without music, is just exercise"

Practise with these tools in a musical situation to make you feel happier with your drumming and NOT looking at your practise sessions as monotonical exercises. Ofcourse there are situations in which you have to practise a technique to get it down in a clean way by practising a lot on a pad for example untill you feel confortable with it.

So that when it comes to play a song you don't have to think "wrist or finger or moeller or O/C". just let it come natural.

And once again this is just MY view on drumming...
Hope this helps ;)

Kind of like the Moeller without the tap? Arms aren't very busy either..?

yeah!a moeller without taps!:D the only thing I'm using from the moeller is the whip

I think if I'de had to give it I'de give it the opn/close whip :p but I only use the moeller whip with the open/close, onyl when I want to accent

Back