Post Your Greatest Weakness ?

How many of you drummers play double bass ?

• Total voters
1. I am a real slowfoot (dirty-doubles).
2. Matching of right hand and right foot when playing right handed 16th notes grooves.
3. Reading music.
4. Shuffles and Latin grooves.
5. ...

It is nice to see that others have the same problems but it doesn't help.

1. I am a real slowfoot (dirty-doubles).
2. Matching of right hand and right foot when playing right handed 16th notes grooves.
3. Reading music.
4. Shuffles and Latin grooves.
5. ...

It is nice to see that others have the same problems but it doesn't help.

All basic stuff Jack...simply Get a metronome & practive every day with it...both hand & foot combinations...speed is never an issue...great timing & backbone with solid attack is plenty to be a great drummer...play from the heart & don't push anything that isn't 2nd nature

Going around the toms with straight 32nd notes without sounding shitty. I still have no idea how does someone move their hands and don't mess up the even-ness of the roll.

Heres a little history class & a big secret in the drum world..or at least not many drummers even know this...I assume some older drummer taught you how to play traditional grip or your old yourself...or you were taught in drum corps or a marching band...

The "ONLY" reason the traditional grip was invented was if you look back at the old Fife & Snare Drummer from the revolutionary war etc...before a drum set/kit was even invented the snare drum had no leg -rest attachment and the snare hung at an angle on ther side of the knee

Picture that or find a picture then try and play a drum in that position matched grip...(1) its completely uncomfortable (2) your Left elbow is pointing towards the sky (3) And your attack is uneven because of the differant angles your arms are.

Switch to matched grip and never go back...

Traditional grip helps move around the drums better than matched, since your right stick can get over the left easier. It let's u do crossovers that you can't do with matched.

And, just my opinion, it gives you a better feel for the snare. But hey, if you are doing straight 16th notes over the same tom progression till the cows come home, then matched is all you need.

1. speeding up and slowing down during loud songs that really rock. When they're slow or quiet, I tend to pay more attention to the time....or so my bandmates tell me.

.2. Whiskey & Wimmen

3. complete independence...I'll work on this one 'till I die.

Snare to Toms rolls. Even on simple ones, I can never get used to shuffling my hands around.

1. Pretty men.

2. I can't work myself up to an impressive speed. Yeah, I feel awkward when practicing rudiments.

3. I still can't get the flam right yet.

4. Separating my feet from my hands. I've been practicing with an imaginary kick drum lately and every time I play on the pad, any backbeat my foot's doing reverts to half or quarter notes.

Last edited:
Snare to Toms rolls. Even on simple ones, I can never get used to shuffling my hands around.
Yeah that's my other problem as well, moving from the snare to the toms :\

Regarding traditional grip, I tried using it at a gig recently after practising by my own to get used to the movements. IMO, the sound quality of the snare is better than using matched grip. There are some bad points though. Trying to hit the left crash with your left hand is HARD. I can't seem to be able to hit the crash without it sounding really soft because I can't hit it with the shaft.

Yeah that's my other problem as well, moving from the snare to the toms :\

Regarding traditional grip, I tried using it at a gig recently after practising by my own to get used to the movements. IMO, the sound quality of the snare is better than using matched grip. There are some bad points though. Trying to hit the left crash with your left hand is HARD. I can't seem to be able to hit the crash without it sounding really soft because I can't hit it with the shaft.

Actually, a teacher at my school called Mr Smith (who was taught the traditional grip) said that the old-fashioned kit drummers who used the traditional grip hit their left-side cymbals by flicking the stick upwards. Or so he showed me. I don't know how you can get a good crash out of the crash that way, though, so if you want to use traditional grip, it might be in your best interest to rearrange your kit.

Link (add &fmt=18 at the end of the URL for HD version)

The video above shows Jason Costa of All That Remains performing. He hits his left crash with his left hand without it sounding sloppy though. His kit looks pretty much like how a matched grip player's kit would be like, too.

Wonder how does he do that? o_O

My right hand. I play a right handed (cross style) set up but I am left handed. I play bass and guitar righty but never had a problem with it. When it comes to drums I tend to rely on my left hand and my right hand just lacks the focus and intensity of the left (especially with doubles and fills, I often begin from the left). I should probably isolate it and play rudiments with my left hand tied behind my back. Maybe I should look into playing open style but who knows.

when i play i always feel assured that i play correctly and in the right time... i don't realize that im rushing or not playing clearly..

my greatest weakness is the hand muscles in my left hand when i paradiddle the "diddle" part with my left hand is always draggn or sloppn or something stupid but i am workn to fix this problem by using the blue part of my promark x pad

I love that practice pad!! <3

Left foot hi-hat balance/control.

Stick grip (thumb/index finger fulcrum) is still a big one - I'm seeking the services of a teacher very soon to assist me in this field. It's strange how I managed to pick up near-perfect foot technique on my own, but hand technique not so much.

Last edited:
Fills with the hands over the top of constant 16th note double bass. Bell patterns over double bass too, man Redneck is a god damn tough one! lol

Traditional grip helps move around the drums better than matched, since your right stick can get over the left easier. It let's u do crossovers that you can't do with matched.

And, just my opinion, it gives you a better feel for the snare. But hey, if you are doing straight 16th notes over the same tom progression till the cows come home, then matched is all you need.

Ethan you are defending the traditional grip, can I ask you how long youi have been playing and were you taught that way ?....also I'll bet you were in drumcorps !

I respectfully have to completely disagree with your comment on its better to move around the kit traditional over matched...and just watching alone the you can even see how uncomfortable & uneven it must be traditional grip

Don't get me wrong...Does Buddy Rich or Stewart Copeland lose any ability or any tecnique etc...by playing traditional ...no...they are 2 of the top 10 drummers in the world in my book...they were taught & brought up the wrong way to play the trap kit ...

And the bottom line is...and the way I see it...there is no best way to perform...as long as you can perform...I have seen classical guitar players play with their feet & toes because they have no arms ...

as a teacher I would never attempt to teach a drummer today to play traditional grip..and any treacher that would is wrong....if you noticed even marching band & drum corps drummers are taught matched grip because they have leg rests now and the snare drum is in front of them nor on the side ands level not slanted...which proves my theorie on matched vs traditional grip...

But play what ever makes you compfortable...

left hand :( and i have to lengthen to at LEAST 20 characters, so there we go...

Back