Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

Great kit,Jeff. Is your bass drum really 14" deep? There is only 16"x20" in the Renown series.
I would like to have a 14"x22".

Here mine is, for those who don't want to read my whole thread :)

Drums are:
Gretsch USA Maple
10", 12", 14" toms. 22"x18" kick.

Gretsch Renown Maple
16" Floor tom

Main snare is a 13"x7" Ludwig Black Magic brass shell
Aux snare is 12"x5" Pearl Firecracker poplar shell.

Ages back, I rebuilt an 18" floor from the shell up, since then the missus and I bought a mini as our main car, so I used all my spares up to convert the 18 to a bass drum, only thing I'm missing are two legs to fit the diamond plates, so its a little unstable at the mo, but it works well

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 1,689
Re: Let's see your Gretsch kits

27857_1420430667427_3270779_n.jpg

This is my late 50's/early 60's Gretsch kit (from what I remember, I based this on the t's and claws). Got it as shells + lugs + parts kit in early 2005, and finished it with what I could use (Ludwig bass hoops, flanged hoops on the toms). 8x12, 16x16, 14x22. Matching blue sparkle Ludwig Jazzfest in there. Ironically my Gretsch snare is champagne, which in turn matches my Ludwig kit. =)

Also just the other day I went up into my drum storage attic and pulled out this guy:

tumblr_mrkjtnqEc41ql6o8vo1_1280.jpg

Which is a custom 6.5x13 snare. I happened to take this pic the other day (I should have cleaned it off a bit). It's a 60's or 70's Gretsch shell (silver inside, no tag, and I forget my Gretsch history), Nickelworks throw, Tama StarCast top hoop. Always loved burgundy sparkle, but no one was making it at the time, so I had gotten my hands on some burgundy sparkle wrap someone had taken from floor tom or bass drum, and used it here. I built it probably around the same time as the shot of the kit above.

Last edited:
My latest configuration:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,773
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,573
I put Earthtone calfskin heads on my USA Customs. I like the organic sound. So far, they require a bit more frequent tuning but it is neither an exacting nor problematic process.

GJS

Attachments

• Gretsch and Earthtone Resized.jpg
    Gretsch and Earthtone Resized.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 1,479
Gretsch USA Custom...

Current setup- Gretsch USA customs- 10x7, 12x8, 14x14, 18x22, Yamaha Jimmy Chamberlin Signature Snare, HHX Evolution hats, crash, O-zone, and ride. AAX crashes (2), Soultone splash (8 and 12").

Attachments

• BUocmocCQAAzJlD.jpg
    BUocmocCQAAzJlD.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,459
  • IMG_1732.JPG
    IMG_1732.JPG
    683.5 KB · Views: 1,483
Just received this kit yesterday by UPS. Sizes are 20 x 14 bass ; 12 x 8 mounted tom and 14 x 14 floor tom. I ordered the matching 6.5 x 14 snare drum through Steve Maxwell last week.

The kit has the Steve Maxwell exclusive Espresso Burst wrap and 302 double flange hoops with the modern buildout.

The pictures are from the seller I purchased it from , he had it only a couple of weeks. I haven't decided if I will change out the hoops to diecast yet. The 302 double flange hoops give it a real 50's round badge vibe.

Attachments

• espresso1.jpg
    espresso1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,308
  • espresso2.jpg
    espresso2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,294
  • espresso bass.jpg
    espresso bass.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,291
  • espressofloor.jpg
    espressofloor.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,359
Just received this kit yesterday by UPS. Sizes are 20 x 14 bass ; 12 x 8 mounted tom and 14 x 14 floor tom. I ordered the matching 6.5 x 14 snare drum through Steve Maxwell last week.

The kit has the Steve Maxwell exclusive Espresso Burst wrap and 302 double flange hoops with the modern buildout.

The pictures are from the seller I purchased it from , he had it only a couple of weeks. I haven't decided if I will change out the hoops to diecast yet. The 302 double flange hoops give it a real 50's round badge vibe.

Beauties! Are these the ones you scooped up from DFO?

if thats the kit with the 20" bass drum that was at Steves shop I have played it .....I went back a couple weeks ago and it was gone .

my heart melted like butter when I hit those toms

that kit sounds absolutely unbelievable ........ seriously !!!! ....and is easy on the eyes to boot

Steve told me he had not even taken a key to it at that point

you are blessed brother

from one Grestch lover to another .....happy drumming

I'd be in serious trouble if I had access to Steve's shop like you do.

Nice kit RickP! Very similar to my kit and sizes; except I added a 16" floor tom half a year later. Enjoy them!

Greg

Beauties! Are these the ones you scooped up from DFO?

I'd be in serious trouble if I had access to Steve's shop like you do.

They are the kit I bought from the seller at drumforum.org.

I decided to buy a matching 6.5 x 14 snare drum from Steve Maxwell as well. It is always nice to have a matching snare drum. I plan on using my Yamaha Steve Jordan snare with JTP wood hoops for the first gig with this kit.

Skulmoski,
Not sure I am going to order any add on drums. Deep down I am a 4 piece guy. The only kit I have with more than two toms is my Yamaha Club Custom kit and I still play that as a four piece as much as I do with both mounted toms.

Skulmoski,
Not sure I am going to order any add on drums. Deep down I am a 4 piece guy. The only kit I have with more than two toms is my Yamaha Club Custom kit and I still play that as a four piece as much as I do with both mounted toms.

The 16" floor tom is a beaut! 4 piece kits are nice too. I agree with you to get the matching snare; I did that too. I just replaced my Gretsch heads with Earthtone calf skins and they gave me the sound I was looking for.

Enjoy your kit. They look awesome.

GJS

Thanks Skulm,
I am going to replace the Permatone heads with either Evans Coated White G12 ( formerly G Plus) for the tom batters or Aquarian Satin finish texture coated. I am leaning more to the Aquarian. The bass drum batter ( currently a coated Gretsch PS3) will ett replaced by an Aquarian Super Kick 1

I really like Aquarian heads a lot, especially because of their coating, it just lasts and lasts.

Back