UGH! I Have A Sickness...

jofizzm

Just bought another kit, crazy deal on a five piece Yamaha oak custom. 24x17, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, and 16x16, blue sparkle...will it ever end!

Probably not. :D I swear if I practiced as much as I scour for deals...you know, I'd be better. Is it a universal disease? Does there need to be a gear whore support group?
Pics when it happens.

Last edited:
It is a disease, but you're ok. There's nothing wrong with drum collection - so long as you're taking them out and playing them in front of people. Oak Customs are great drums too.

At least you're not buying drugs or anything stupid like that ;)

It is a disease, but you're ok. There's nothing wrong with drum collection - so long as you're taking them out and playing them in front of people. Oak Customs are great drums too.

At least you're not buying drugs or anything stupid like that ;)

... Alcohol is not drug...right? :D And variety is the spice of life!

New - used? Kind of curious what a 'crazy deal' is on a Oak kit like that.

I look for gear all the time, but I'm getting to a 'nothing comes in till something goes out' stage.

I suppose it kind of depends on what else you have too, and if the Oaks are something you'll use, or something to have just to have them. LOL

Alcohol is a drug.

Welcome to the club :eek:)
Nice score there though, Oaks are great , discontinued and the Blue Sparkle is not a common color for the Oaks.
It's a disease all right...but as others have said, it could be worse I guess.
I'm 16 snare drums, 10 kits, and 4 complete sets of cymbals in - and I'm just starting to slow down...cymbals are the hardest thing to walk away from. Just about to pull the trigger on a set of vintage cymbals....but I'm trading other drums/hardware for them...so i guess it's OK.

Gear in, gear out, gear buy, gear sell, gear swap - it's like trading baseball or hockey cards. When you have this much stuff around, gear becomes almost like currency. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

New - used? Kind of curious what a 'crazy deal' is on a Oak kit like that.

I look for gear all the time, but I'm getting to a 'nothing comes in till something goes out' stage.

I suppose it kind of depends on what else you have too, and if the Oaks are something you'll use, or something to have just to have them. LOL

Alcohol is a drug.

I got it new through the GC site, bought each piece separate. After shipping came out to just over $1200, figured I'd never take a loss on it at that price, unless I abuse the hell out of it, which will not happen. I'm not over the moon for the oaks, but I haven't spent that much time one one, they do sound nice, and are all around discontinued, and just can't beat that price.

Yeah evil, I'm not ashamed to say that one of the reasons I bought is to be able to barter it towards a club custom in the future. :D

Ha. perusing drum factory direct tonight I compiled a long list of things im going to buy and have them sent together. all of which i can live without. Almost everyone is obsessed with something. It's drums for us.

Could be worse.

Its called G.A.S. Short for Gear Aquisition Syndrome. I have a bad case of it :) But, its what I love. I don't drink, do drugs, womanize, etc. I work full time and play part time. Everyone has their own enjoyment. Some travel, some buy expensive season tickets for sporting events. Some collect art or jewelry or cars or motorcycles. I collect drums.

Nothing wrong with it.

Well good luck on your quest towards some Club Customs. I've seen them up close and played on a kit we have here at the park. They are definitely nice drums. They need more gaudy colors, though ;)

Its called G.A.S. Short for Gear Aquisition Syndrome. I have a bad case of it :) But, its what I love. I don't drink, do drugs, womanize, etc. I work full time and play part time. Everyone has their own enjoyment. Some travel, some buy expensive season tickets for sporting events. Some collect art or jewelry or cars or motorcycles. I collect drums.

Nothing wrong with it.

I caught an extra disease added when I found out how cool PA systems and mixers can be, Diabetes and High Blood Pressure at the same time.

Whatever sickness you have, I must have caught too... just bought my 5th kit... a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (10/12/14/20) as a practice/recording kit for the new drum booth that I built. Why? Because I certainly couldn't spare one of my other 4 kits for the room. I like to play them out. :p The other day my guitarist told me I have a problem... meanwhile he owns 5 or 6 guitars. :)

4 Yamaha kits
1 Pearl Session kit
1 set of Zildjian A Custom cymbals
1 set of Paiste 2002 cymbals
and counting...

Drums... It's not a disease... just an obsession. :)

Whatever sickness you have, I must have caught too... just bought my 5th kit... a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (10/12/14/20) as a practice/recording kit for the new drum booth that I built. Why? Because I certainly couldn't spare one of my other 4 kits for the room. I like to play them out. :p The other day my guitarist told me I have a problem... meanwhile he owns 5 or 6 guitars. :)

4 Yamaha kits
1 Pearl Session kit
1 set of Zildjian A Custom cymbals
1 set of Paiste 2002 cymbals
and counting...

Drums... It's not a disease... just an obsession. :)

And I don't want to hear any crap from the piano player, why do they need 88 keys.

Nothing wrong with it.

I hear you brother. I have GAS bad! I am lusting after a little weak maple classic kit so I don't have to put more wear and tear on some 91 Grandstars. Oh! I have been playing bad for a little over a year and I am three basses, an amp, cab, and about eight effect pedals into that hobby. It never ends.

I got it new through the GC site, bought each piece separate. After shipping came out to just over $1200, figured I'd never take a loss on it at that price, unless I abuse the hell out of it, which will not happen. I'm not over the moon for the oaks, but I haven't spent that much time one one, they do sound nice, and are all around discontinued, and just can't beat that price.

Yeah evil, I'm not ashamed to say that one of the reasons I bought is to be able to barter it towards a club custom in the future. :D

Wow - that's a great deal. I saw some individual components on their site, but didn't see enough to make up a kit like you got.

Even with the super deal though, I'm kinda' thinking that if you want the Club Custom, maybe you should have held out for that. IDK.

24" bass drum? Blue Sparkle? 2 floor toms? No sickness there, my friend. That was an essential purchase. :)

That's what I said!

wildbill- I had been telling myself the same thing, until they dropped the prices this low. My thinking is that if it's properly taken care of, which it will be, I'll never take a loss on it. In fact, looking at prices for other used oaks, I may even be able to get an extra $300-$500 out of it. And that's if I decide to sell it and pursue the clubs. We shall see...

I swear if I practiced as much as I scour for deals...you know, I'd be better. Is it a universal disease? Does there need to be a gear whore support group?

There definitely needs to be a support group...........my better half would sign me up immediately

I kicked the habit last year... I don't think I've bought anything major, aside from sticks and books, since Dec. 2011... Then I got back into guitar over the summer :|

Back