Yamaha Stage Custom tension rods

Lincoln

Hi all, brand new to this forum, although I've browsed advice on here for months you guys all seem so nice and helpful. Anyway, finally ran into an issue I can't find a good answer for anywhere. Where do I find replacement tension rods that fit Stage Custom basses?! Tried drumfactorydirect and several other comparable sites. I believe its 4 3/4 to the shoulder.

First off, welcome, welcome!

That measurement sounded very odd to me, but then I went downstairs and measured mine and came out with the same measurement you did - 4 3/4". The good news is, there's at least an inch of thread extra on these tension rods. I can't see how you would ever tighten it all the way up those threads. So I would just replace any missing rods with standard 4 3/16" rods. You're only losing 9/16" of an inch of thread.

Gibraltar standard 4 3/16" rods can be found for sale here.

Thanks so much!

Well see that's just my issue, for whatever reason the gap between the lugs and the end of the hoop is large enough on mine that the rods only thread maybe an eighth or quarter inch into the lug. So maybe go for the next step up from 4 3/16? I remember looking through hardware at a now defunct local shop that had what was probably this size (whatever their largest was); they came just short of threading.

You got me. I've never had to replace one of these bad boys (apparently fortunately). I guess the best bet would be talk to a Yamaha authorized dealer in your area, or find one on the net if that's not possible. Good luck...

Ah haha, ok thanks so much anyway. Oh and nothing to be concerned about for yours I'm sure, I had one get bent somewhere along the way of it's trailer travels. I was able to vice it back to where its functional, but as we all know every little piece is what ends up being that thorn in the side of your sound. Actually mine sounds pretty good right now with new ps3's and a good pillow, but its a bear to tune.
So I guess also, those rods kind of like to creep loose when they're at the sweet tension point, making them tough to tune and keep in tune. Would plastic washers or anything else help with that? Anything to avoid this hassle of new rods!! ahhhh

Back