DW kit, can you identify?

cg2112

I'm trying to find some information about this kit:

9593855889_0432b68046_z.jpg

Someone is selling it locally for a price that seems unusually low. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with it (which I'll be able to determine by looking, obviously), or if there's some other reason that it's selling at a range within my grasp (like some super crappy DW line I don't know about).

Anyone have any idea about this kit, or where I can find more information?

And another angle, if it helps:

00q0q_1zHgKF7qF1G_600x450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
it def. has the turret lugs and badges on it to be a dw... might be an older collectors series from the tom mounts i see on it. someone will come and id this for you too

i say go look at it, play it and if you like it buy it!

even comes with the matching snare, a virgin kick, and a floating floor tom

does it come with cymbals? i see HH

The price is within my grasp (I can probably make it work, if the kit is worth it, the guy is asking $750, negotiable), but it'll be a challenge. I have a kit that I like (that is, I like it for now - it's a PDP, not horrible, not great, but I don't know that I'd want to gig with it).

It comes with the hats and the stands, which I don't need (I just upgraded all of my hardware and cymbals), but I guess I could resell those things or just have spares.

The price is within my grasp (I can probably make it work, if the kit is worth it, the guy is asking $750, negotiable), but it'll be a challenge. I have a kit that I like (that is, I like it for now - it's a PDP, not horrible, not great, but I don't know that I'd want to gig with it).

It comes with the hats and the stands, which I don't need (I just upgraded all of my hardware and cymbals), but I guess I could resell those things or just have spares.

never hurts to go and try them out. you can always gig with the dw if you buy it. also ask the seller if they are keller shells, maple or birch and the year

edited:

just went on yahoo and typed in "dw drums keller" and a few pictures came up with dw drums with those mount. they are called RIM.

Last edited:
That's what I found, too. Looks like they switched to STM mounts in the early 90's. I'm not sure that I want to buy a 20 year old kit. It's tempting, I've wanted a DW kit since the first time I played one, but I may be tempted more because there's a DW badge on the side. I may go take a look at it anyway, though.

That's what I found, too. Looks like they switched to STM mounts in the early 90's. I'm not sure that I want to buy a 20 year old kit. It's tempting, I've wanted a DW kit since the first time I played one, but I may be tempted more because there's a DW badge on the side. I may go take a look at it anyway, though.

i think keller shell ones are the desireable ones. idk...

i have a DW but its a newer style 09 kit. dont know much about the older ones

First of all,what's the problem with drums that are 20 years old?If the're in good condition,why would age matter?Newer isn't better...it's just newer.

Those drums were worth quite a bit more than the asking price,so again,you have to ask yourself .....why?

There's a thread on here,about a seller selling a Frontline 4 pc. custom kit,with 2 pro level Zildjians for under 400 bucks.

Reason: stolen goods.

Ask questions......don't take it for granted that the seller is ignorant of resale prices,or that he just want's to get rid of the drums.Why would he pay all that coin for an expensive kit in the first place..........if the're legit?

Steve B

First of all,what's the problem with drums that are 20 years old?If the're in good condition,why would age matter?Newer isn't better...it's just newer.

Those drums were worth quite a bit more than the asking price,so again,you have to ask yourself .....why?

There's nothing wrong with 20 year old drums, to be sure. But with 20 year old drums (or 20 year old anything, really), they've been around long enough to see abuse and damage, that's my main worry (which obviously I could alleviate by thoroughly checking an item out).

Also, I don't know much about DW's earlier drums, so I don't know if they had a pre-PDP/pre-Workshop line of cheaper quality drums that I should be on the lookout for.

Whether or not they're legit, I don't know, I don't have a reason to believe that they aren't. It was a really good price, but it's not like they were only going for a couple hundred bucks, too. I'm cautious, but not so cautious that I'm going to overlook a "too good to be true" deal without investigating it first.

never hurts to go and try them out. you can always gig with the dw if you buy it. also ask the seller if they are keller shells, maple or birch and the year

edited:

just went on yahoo and typed in "dw drums keller" and a few pictures came up with dw drums with those mount. they are called RIM.

Yep.... the originator of the suspension mount.Gauger RIMS mounts ,were the first on the block

Steve B

DW got back to me on that kit:

Hello Chris,

I have gone ahead and checked with someone in house this appears to a be a old finish from 93-94 Electric Turquoise. This means the drums are pre DW shells, and are Keller shells. They are still considered Collector’s Series drums. Hope this helps and feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Had almost this exact kit in "electric blue" and they're IMO sooo much better sounding than the modern DW's due to the thicker re-rings.

However be careful - that era (90-96) of DW finish ply wrapped kits were notorious for the wrap glue peeling up at the seems. I worked at a pro drum shop in the 90's and saw probabay a dozen sets that needed to be sent back for repair. So inspect the seams.

For that money though, I'd take a heat gun, peel that wrap and put some fine grit sandpaper and satin oil (fret polish grade) to those shells. Killer kit if you dig those power Tom sizes.

Back