Amy Winehouse RIP

so so so so sad.

she will be missed.

i once saw a paparazzi video of her bringing them tea when they were camped outside her house, she was a sweetie

someone quoted something on facebook which read something like:

those who's candles burn twice as fast's wick runs out faster

or too that effect.

thought this was very true with amy

but who am i to say - i didnt know her personally, i just knew her through the newspapers

someone quoted something on facebook which read something like:

those who's candles burn twice as fast's wick runs out faster

Would it have been "The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long" by any chance? If so, they picked that saying up from Bladerunner :)

There does seem to be something to those who live with such fierce intensity, but without the self-discipline and self-awareness to keep things from spiralling out of control.

i'm only 24 and have no clue who she is.. i'm gonna guess some pop idiot who was a waste of ear drum vibrations.

I don't think so many drummerworld members would be offering condolences if she was just some pop idiot. She was one of few talented mainstream singers. Her album "Back to Black" was a throwback to that motown 1960's soul sound. Before that, she sort of did some jazzy stuff (not too familiar with her early music). A true original in today's world of pop music. I'd say that her work was comparable to someone like Raphael Saadiq, who's going back to retro 1960's sounds.

Unfortunately, she descended back into drugs and this is how everything ended.

Well, the numbers/odds were not in her favour. Only 1 addict/alcholic in 10 (10%) makes it ... and the rest (90%) don't .... lousy odds .... RIP Amy ....

Would it have been "The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long" by any chance? If so, they picked that saying up from Bladerunner :)

There does seem to be something to those who live with such fierce intensity, but without the self-discipline and self-awareness to keep things from spiralling out of control.

I would modify it to say, "Those who take drugs with no self-control live half as long." Drugs tamp down the flame and kill it; they do not make it burn any brighter because the source of flame is passion, persistence, creativity, intelligence, ambition and inspiration and these things are inexhaustible.

For every extraordinarily talented drug addict that becomes famous, there are thousands of addicts with no talent who die in obscurity. For every extraordinarily talented drug addict who becomes famous, there are hundreds of artists and performers just as famous and talented who keep their lives together. I see no romance in the tortured artist stereotype, just waste and ridicule. People who choke to death on their vomit certainly don't serve as a role model, ideal or source of inspiration for me.

Joe Morello lived with fierce intensity and burned brightly into his 80s, a productive and influential figure in music for many decades. That's what I'm talking about.

DMC, fair point that not everyone who burns with intensity need die young, DMC. Personally, I'd rather not focus on AM's habits - I'm more interested in some of those songs and her performances when she was fit.

In the broader scheme I don't think it much matters if we live to be 27 or 87, it's all just a sneeze in eternity. There are many ways to live a life. AM's way doesn't strike me as good strategy but who knows what goes on in other people's little noggins that drives them to do the things they do?

Back