Drum mic packages

ludakot

So, some people are saying that most box sets aren't great but this one looks decent:

AKG Drumset Big 2 Drum Mic Package

Anyone got this, know if it's any good?

I was looking to find a decent box set because I'm having a hard time figuring out the best mics, but I'm guessing I'd be better going for the more standard stuff like an SM57 on the snare etc? I have a budget of £1000 but I'd rather be spending £800, I need mics for two overheads, snare, two rack toms, floor tom and bass. This is for a functions band and a bit of recording too. Can anyone recommend something in this price range?

Oh and I forgot to say that my budget includes stands, clips and cables.

Last edited:
AKG D112 (bass, $150), Sennheiser e604 (for all toms 3x=$350), Shure SM57 (snare, $100), Shure PG81 (overheads, $100 each).

LP Claw for the SM57 ($25)
Kelly Shu for the AKG D112 ($50 for the composite/plastic model)
Two boom mic stands for PG81s ($25 each)

25' (8m) mic cables x7 ($20 each)

I think that's a great set-up and comes in right about your budget. This also only has two mic stands (less hassle). the Sennheiser e604s comes with rubber clips for hoops. If you haven't seen the Kelly Shu, it's pure genius.

AKG D112 (bass, $150), Sennheiser e604 (for all toms 3x=$350), Shure SM57 (snare, $100), Shure PG81 (overheads, $100 each).

LP Claw for the SM57 ($25)
Kelly Shu for the AKG D112 ($50 for the composite/plastic model)
Two boom mic stands for PG81s ($25 each)

25' (8m) mic cables x7 ($20 each)

I think that's a great set-up and comes in right about your budget. This also only has two mic stands (less hassle). the Sennheiser e604s comes with rubber clips for hoops. If you haven't seen the Kelly Shu, it's pure genius.

Thanks man, I didn't think anyone was gonna reply!

Unfortunately I think you overestimated the worth of the £ at the minute, I can't find even a second hand SM57 for less than £75 (which comes in at more like $120), same with most of the other stuff. Of course I could just be terrible at searching.

Thanks man, I didn't think anyone was gonna reply!

Unfortunately I think you overestimated the worth of the £ at the minute, I can't find even a second hand SM57 for less than £75 (which comes in at more like $120), same with most of the other stuff. Of course I could just be terrible at searching.

Wow, $100 is for a new SM57 here in states. Used are $70-80 for a mic in very good condition.

Good luck searching!

So, some people are saying that most box sets aren't great but this one looks decent:

AKG Drumset Big 2 Drum Mic Package

Anyone got this, know if it's any good?

I was looking to find a decent box set because I'm having a hard time figuring out the best mics, but I'm guessing I'd be better going for the more standard stuff like an SM57 on the snare etc? I have a budget of £1000 but I'd rather be spending £800, I need mics for two overheads, snare, two rack toms, floor tom and bass. This is for a functions band and a bit of recording too. Can anyone recommend something in this price range?

Oh and I forgot to say that my budget includes stands, clips and cables.

IF you are looking for a SM57 / SM58 mic, then read on...

I have had extreme success with Behringer Xm8500's (Basically a SM58 / SM57 copy, but I prefer them for micing drums over the Shure's. Although I am going to be verbally attacked for blasphemy lol) on snares and toms and even kick drums!

Without getting technical, They sound very Clear, and tight, and are really easy to EQ. And they are $20 here in the US.

But all I can say is buy one and try it for yourself. They are GREAT...for drums. (Vocals is another story)

Last edited:
I purchased the Sennheiser Pro pack III and I love it. Nothing wrong with that pack. All 900 series mikes. Bass, overheads, and 4 toms. Not cheap, but sounds great. Oh and they come in a nice James Bond style aluminum case with combination locks. :)

Back