How long to get your chops back?

Johnka

I started drumming again after a several year hiatus, and found that the mind was willing but the body was weak :)

Besides grip strength, it took about 6 months of regular playing before I can now say I'm back to my previous level. Initial gains were real quick, but to play with confidence and consistency took this long.

How about you?

ummmmm...lets see...25 years...

After such a long time, almost felt like I was starting over. Now I've got about 1 1/2 years in drummer recovery and rehab.

Honestly, it took me a few months to just handle a steady beat, and coordinating the limbs. Finally after about a year, I was doing drum covers on Youtube.

FYI, as a single parent with businesses and school kids, time on the set is my biggest challenge.

IDK, it just seemed like I was starting from scratch. Now I'm picking up things I never learned before such as paradiddles + diddles, etc.

I went about three months without very much of any drums while I was staying in my brother's apartment and i'm recovering quickly, but I don't play with the same style really.

My bass drum was lacking the worst and now that I've worked on it a lot, I'm beginning to put more bass drum in parts and use more creative parts... So not playing has in a way recreated my style and helped me get to a different level

After such a long time, almost felt like I was starting over. Now I've got about 1 1/2 years in drummer recovery and rehab.

Honestly, it took me a few months to just handle a steady beat, and coordinating the limbs. Finally after about a year, I was doing drum covers on Youtube.

FYI, as a single parent with businesses and school kids, time on the set is my biggest challenge.

IDK, it just seemed like I was starting from scratch. Now I'm picking up things I never learned before such as paradiddles + diddles, etc.

Nice, that's good to hear you're back in the saddle. And I completely understand with work and a kid, time behind the drums is a precious commodity.

I went about three months without very much of any drums while I was staying in my brother's apartment and i'm recovering quickly, but I don't play with the same style really.

My bass drum was lacking the worst and now that I've worked on it a lot, I'm beginning to put more bass drum in parts and use more creative parts... So not playing has in a way recreated my style and helped me get to a different level

Yeah, I noticed my foot dexterity was most lacking after the break. The bass drum just seemed to lag behind, and I'm still having a bit of trouble with heel-toe.

I took a 30 year break :) I went to a double bass and I'm actually learning some technique instead of banging on the bongos like a chimpanzee.

I'm only 3 weeks in but I realize now that I never really had any chops, in relation to what is actually possible. I'm able to put an hour or two in every day so I'm thinking I will be comfortable and 10X better than I ever was in just a few months. It's kind of like riding a bike.

I took almost 7 years off.
It took me 6 months to feel like I was back. It wasn't until I did pep band that I felt I was getting better...so probably after year and half I felt I was better than before

Back