Evans Onyx and other black 2plys

Crazy+Hands

Has anyone tried these out yet? They way they describe them makes me want to try them out, but i'm thinking that black drum heads would make things slightly more difficult to work with when playing live on a dark stage. I know Its all about feeling where the drums are, but you can watch any of the greats, especially mike mangini and notice that their eyes are constantly moving with their hands. I've noticed that power dot heads like the Remo CS actually increase your accuracy because your eyes "zone in" on the sweet spot. It seems like black drumheads would have the opposite effect. Anyone had good/bad experiences with them?

I have played live on dark stages with Remo Black Pinstripes and Evans Black Hydraulics. I never had an issue.

I played a kit with them on live last night, sounded fine to me, didn't have any problems...

thats funny, i'm a heavy hitter and half the time my eyes are closed - i find i only watch my hands when i'm learning something new at a slower speed...

i have seen several guys on youtube use glow in the dark markers and write a circle or X on there black and clear heads, did'nt know why at the time - but maybe visibility was the reason?

The only time you really need to look where your hitting is when you're moving around the kit while doing 16ths, and yeah, i've heard about dudes putting black lights under their drums w/black heads to get better visibility. I'm not sure about the evans onyx's, i'm liking the tone of the acquarian performance II w/power dot a lot right now. If anyone buys a set of the onyx's, post some clips!

Back