Tool Vicarious Drums

Johnka

I recorded a cover to one of my favorite songs, Vicarious by Tool. It's always humbling for me to learn a song by someone who I consider a master of the art.

Anyway, I had a great time playing along to this song, and any feedback is much appreciated!

http://youtu.be/iiwxwV3lihk?hd=1

Great cover! Nice sound and production!! Wrong section of the forum though. lol

To be perfectly honest, I only really like a few Tool songs (because I find most of their music to be far too drawn out and repetitive for my tastes) but when they're on, what they play is really cool... And Carey truly is a master of the art, and his parts are always fantastically creative. REALLY great cover and drum sound.

Great cover! Nice sound and production!! Wrong section of the forum though. lol

Thanks! Ha, I'm not sure how I got the wrong section of this forum :p

To be perfectly honest, I only really like a few Tool songs (because I find most of their music to be far too drawn out and repetitive for my tastes) but when they're on, what they play is really cool... And Carey truly is a master of the art, and his parts are always fantastically creative. REALLY great cover and drum sound.

Thanks for the compliment! And I agree about Carey, the ending of The Grudge still sends chills down my spine. The man is amazing.

Thanks! Ha, I'm not sure how I got the wrong section of this forum :p

It was supposed to go in the Your Playing section. I'm not policeing the forum or anything..just saying. haha

Welcome to Drummerworld!!

The playing's fine, and I really like your setup. But what do you think about your right hand grip? I think the fingers are bit too loose, and you could work on it a bit.

Fox.

The playing's fine, and I really like your setup. But what do you think about your right hand grip? I think the fingers are bit too loose, and you could work on it a bit.

Fox.

I definitely have a loose grip, as you can see from the stick dropping outtakes :)

I do try to have a loose grip on purpose though, because it just helps me to stay relaxed and keep better rhythm. Maybe I'm a little overboard with it though.

I definitely have a loose grip, as you can see from the stick dropping outtakes :)

I do try to have a loose grip on purpose though, because it just helps me to stay relaxed and keep better rhythm. Maybe I'm a little overboard with it though.

One (good in most cases) thin is to have a loose grip; but for what I can see, you're not using all your fingers correctly, which could make it hard on you for playing certain things/using certain techniques (and also puts a lot of stress between your thumb and index).
As I stated, I quite like this. Good takes, good video and sound quality. And the playing's good as well. Just something I noticed, if how you're playing works for you and allows for using Finger Control technique, or similar stuff when needed, keep at it.

Fox.

One (good in most cases) thin is to have a loose grip; but for what I can see, you're not using all your fingers correctly, which could make it hard on you for playing certain things/using certain techniques (and also puts a lot of stress between your thumb and index).
As I stated, I quite like this. Good takes, good video and sound quality. And the playing's good as well. Just something I noticed, if how you're playing works for you and allows for using Finger Control technique, or similar stuff when needed, keep at it.

Fox.

Good points. My grip probably suffers from never having formal lessons. I was really impressed with Jojo Mayer's video (Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer) and how he gets into the details of grip. It made me realize that I have a strange grip.

That's something I want to work on, finger control.

Cheers,

John

Back