Double Bass help

skm372

Hi,

I'm sure these types of questions have been answered somewhere else so forgive me for asking again.

I'm working on my double bass speed right now, just the basic single stroke RLRLRLRL, and I'm maxing out my speed for 16th notes around 145 bpm. If I really concentrate I can take it a bit faster up to the 160-180 range, but I don't have consistency on shorter rolls of 8-16 hits and its a monumental strain on my legs. I am definitely playing with my whole leg when I'm playing double bass.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Is around 145-150 a reasonable max-out speed for using whole leg strokes and I'm just gonna have to work on controlling my ankle motion to get faster, or is it reasonably possible to get much faster than that with leg strokes? I've also been working on the heel-toe and I have it down fairly solid with my right foot, but not my left yet.

To achieve faster double bass speeds, would it be more prudent to concentrate on:

a) practicing using the heel-toe to do double stroke rolls?
b) switching my single stroke motion from a leg stroke to an ankle-centric motion?
c) continue pushing my legs with strengthening exercises both on and off the drums in order to continue with leg powered motion?

thanks for everyones input

-Steve

Well, when getting to faster speeds, your technique will change to adapt, so I'm thinking more ankle, but really just keep playing your comfortable speeds as accurately as possible and try to go out of your comfort zone and see how long you can last. It's just time and practice that will solve this problem. Good double bass technique usually does require a little of both leg and ankle motion, not just one or the other. Check out Spikey drummer on YouTube, his videos are really good.

I little trick a old friend showed me years ago. When DB drumming if you sit on the back of your seat a bit and find your balence pivot point of your butt and legs. This helped me out big time with speed as the techque grows. Put's less strain on stomach muscles and leg lifting etc..

Hi,

I'm sure these types of questions have been answered somewhere else so forgive me for asking again.

I'm working on my double bass speed right now, just the basic single stroke RLRLRLRL, and I'm maxing out my speed for 16th notes around 145 bpm. If I really concentrate I can take it a bit faster up to the 160-180 range, but I don't have consistency on shorter rolls of 8-16 hits and its a monumental strain on my legs. I am definitely playing with my whole leg when I'm playing double bass.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Is around 145-150 a reasonable max-out speed for using whole leg strokes and I'm just gonna have to work on controlling my ankle motion to get faster, or is it reasonably possible to get much faster than that with leg strokes? I've also been working on the heel-toe and I have it down fairly solid with my right foot, but not my left yet.

To achieve faster double bass speeds, would it be more prudent to concentrate on:

a) practicing using the heel-toe to do double stroke rolls?
b) switching my single stroke motion from a leg stroke to an ankle-centric motion?
c) continue pushing my legs with strengthening exercises both on and off the drums in order to continue with leg powered motion?

thanks for everyones input

-Steve
IMHO You are only as strong or fast as your wek limb
you say you can do doubles with the right foot but not the left so you've answered your own question to work on your left foot more.
Anything you practice with your feet is going to help.
to achieve faster double bass speeds you must be equal with both feet otherwise your feet will seem fast but actually float in and out of time.
Tim

It's also good to develop it flat foot on the ground. The ankle control will make it into whatever technique you find works best for you. I need to do that in a big way. I'm preaching to myself!

I never use just my legs if I want to get going fast with double bass.
Use the rebound (my set up is to have tension all the way down on the pedal, and my bass head tightened all the way) to your advantage, and use primarily your ankles with heel-up. I use my leg to provide some downward force so my calves don't crash and burn, but it's mostly ankle and rebound for me with just a little bit of leg movement to provide some extra force.

Back