The Coated Ambassador 'problem'

They have been known for spotty QC on heads for years. The inconsistency of their 2-ply heads is notorious.

Bermuda

I concur! Peace and goodwill.

I read through this thread the other night. I'm planning on replacing all heads on my Gretsch and I'm just asking myself:
Do I even dare to buy Remo's? Is it worth the risk?
I'm gonna go with either Evans G2 or Remo Emperor on the toms, and either G1 or Ambassador on snare. Evans cost a bit more in my local store, but maybe it is worth it if it's too risky to buy Remo?
What do you think?

I read through this thread the other night. I'm planning on replacing all heads on my Gretsch and I'm just asking myself:
Do I even dare to buy Remo's? Is it worth the risk?
I'm gonna go with either Evans G2 or Remo Emperor on the toms, and either G1 or Ambassador on snare. Evans cost a bit more in my local store, but maybe it is worth it if it's too risky to buy Remo?
What do you think?

Recently for me, it's basically a crap shoot. I re-headed my DW Classic kit a couple of weeks ago with Remo coated Ambassadors and within a couple of days my 12" tom's batter head started to show premature signs of wear and none of my other toms exhibited this same problem. I also just re-headed my Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit and three of the thirteen heads were dead ( 8", 10" and 16" batters). I didn't change the bass drum's resonant head. These three drums sounded like they belonged to a different kit. Luckily I have have spares for spares, so just by substituting the heads made the drums come back to life. BTW, I changed both resonant and batter heads using Evans G2 clear over G1 clear. I spoke to another drummer at a Five Star shop with the same kit and his eyes lit up, he also recently had the same problem with G2 clear heads. He's going to experiment a bit more and get back to me.

I'm about ready to check out the Aquarian line since I'm running out of choices, lol.

To put things into perspective, this is the first time in about three years that I ever had a problem with Evans heads and I use a lot of them. I can't say the same for Remo.

Dennis

Recently for me, it's basically a crap shoot. I re-headed my DW Classic kit a couple of weeks ago with Remo coated Ambassadors and within a couple of days my 12" tom's batter head started to show premature signs of wear and none of my other toms exhibited this same problem. I also just re-headed my Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit and three of the thirteen heads were dead ( 8", 10" and 16" batters). I didn't change the bass drum's resonant head. These three drums sounded like they belonged to a different kit. Luckily I have have spares for spares, so just by substituting the heads made the drums come back to life. BTW, I changed both resonant and batter heads using Evans G2 clear over G1 clear. I spoke to another drummer at a Five Star shop with the same kit and his eyes lit up, he also recently had the same problem with G2 clear heads. He's going to experiment a bit more and get back to me.

I'm about ready to check out the Aquarian line since I'm running out of choices, lol.

To put things into perspective, this is the first time in about three years that I ever had a problem with Evans heads and I use a lot of them. I can't say the same for Remo.

Dennis

Then Evans it is. I don't wanna buy heads with a 50% risk of trouble.
Plus, I don't want to give Remo any of my money, since the company seems to screw it up totally.

Plus, I don't want to give Remo any of my money, since the company seems to screw it up totally.

We stand behind our products 100% and, while we can't guarantee the coating for a given amount of time because everyone plays differently and puts a different level of demand on their heads, we do believe that we have the best coated heads available. Definitely let me know if you ever experience otherwise.

Cheers!

Not sure where you got the 50% figure.... Anyway I don't think anyone mentioned Evans has white Mylar underneath. Rub your hand on an Evans coated after a month of playing. It will be smooth, because the coating is gone. I've switched from Remo to Evans and now I'm playing Remo again. They just sound better to me. They get really ugly after a while, but I don't care about that.

Back