Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming But Music Related

Old 04-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
Thats completely not possible..

The country where i live we pay at this moment about 1,70 euro/liter and the highest price ever has been around 1,90/liter..

Italy is always about 5-6% more cheap than that..
My bad - I meant gas prices in Italy translated to close to $6 per gallon. When you only pay $2.64 per gallon (this time last year) at home, more than doubling that is a shock. Good thing that little Skoda got such great gas mileage. And I'd like to thank the older Italian gentleman who didn't speak English, for helping this dumb American on paying for and dispensing petrol when we were leaving Rome for the airport! He was very patient!
Old 04-19-2018, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
4...I saw a crash test of a Smart car, at a 45 degree angle, at 40MPH and it was demolished. Might as well be on a bicycle. Congrats
Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUcmCTQKoJA

Note: It's not about whether the vehicle survives, but whether the occupants are likely to survive.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:52 AM
MasterBlaster

I'd love to have a Mini-Cooper, but I'll never drive a small vehicle just for the security I feel in my truck. I'm hoping any wreck I'm ever in I'm in the largest vehicle.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
I'd love to have a Mini-Cooper, but I'll never drive a small vehicle just for the security I feel in my truck. I'm hoping any wreck I'm ever in I'm in the largest vehicle.
When the grim reaper comes knocking, your papers are signed. :)
Old 04-19-2018, 05:19 AM
MasterBlaster

Yep. I don't even look when I cross the street.

Like you said - fate.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post

Bigger doesn’t mean safer. A Mini will brake much much faster than a high 2,5 tons truck, will avoid obstacle much better too. And furthermore, it answers the same security norms. I won’t say the same for Smart. I used to drive some and they are the worst car I ever drove security wise. I don’t speak accident, I speak active security (brake, stability, road handling).

https://www.euroncap.com/fr/results/peugeot/208/10941
https://www.euroncap.com/fr/results/toyota/hilux/25045

Last edited by Tamaefx; 04-19-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Ain't that the truth!

Plus fit through a MINI-sized gap, that would leave chunks of truck on either side.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:11 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUcmCTQKoJA

Note: It's not about whether the vehicle survives, but whether the occupants are likely to survive.
At about 3:30 you can see the steering column did not collapse as mentioned but would be half way through the drivers chest. And the fire wall is at about the drivers knees. So if survival means double leg amputation then yeah it looks pretty good.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:33 PM

I think the Smart car was smart... smart marketing!

The concept of big gas-guzzlers seems contradictory to the need for better management of the planet's resources.

Nonetheless, it's simply true that some people feel more secure and confident in a big car. Driving a small car without confidence can be dangerous in itself.

I know this from someone who wanted to downsize because they no longer needed a big car for long business journies. They went to a dealership and asked for a small car and so the dealer let them them try a range of small vehicles. No success. The dealer noticed the buyer's discomfort when test driving. He explained that a small car simply wasn't appropriate for the buyer because it was making them nervous and making the driving experience unpleasant and potentially dangerous.

This was of course a good sales tactic but also a pyschologically sound conclusion. The buyer left happily with the same type of large car they'd had before.

Edit: Of course, the most important thing is road safety. And that requires education and reinforcement. Alas, with so many people driving, it's only inevitable that things go wrong. Big car or small car, human beings are not made to travel at such speeds. If you think about it, it's complete madness what happens on public roads - masses of humans travelling at life-threatening speeds next/in front/behind each other in plastic/metal projectiles on wheels!

I'm not keen myself on XXL-sized cars, but those who choose them seem to be showing a healthy lack of confidence in other motorists (rightly so as is often proven).

Last edited by Mike Stand; 04-19-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stand View Post
I think the Smart car was smart... smart marketing!

The concept of big gas-guzzlers seems contradictory to the need for better management of the planet's resources.

Nonetheless, it's simply true that some people feel more secure and confident in a big car. Driving a small car without confidence can be dangerous in itself.

I know this from someone who wanted to downsize because they no longer needed a big car for long business journies. They went to a dealership and asked for a small car and so the dealer let them them try a range of small vehicles. No success. The dealer noticed the buyer's discomfort when test driving. He explained that a small car simply wasn't appropriate for the buyer because it was making them nervous and making the driving experience unpleasant and potentially dangerous.

This was of course a good sales tactic but also a pyschologically sound conclusion. The buyer left happily with the same type of large car they'd had before.

Edit: Of course, the most important thing is road safety. And that requires education and reinforcement. Alas, with so many people driving, it's only inevitable that things go wrong. Big car or small car, human beings are not made to travel at such speeds. If you think about it, it's complete madness what happens on public roads - masses of humans travelling at life-threatening speeds next/in front/behind each other in plastic/metal projectiles on wheels!

I'm not keen myself on XXL-sized cars, but those who choose them seem to be showing a healthy lack of confidence in other motorists (rightly so as is often proven).
Because itís all those young green planet mucky-mucks having to be distracted by their lithium-powered cel phones they engage in while driving amongst the rest of us. Iím not going down because of one of those idiots ;)
Old 05-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Silver Member

I don't understand no CD player. Our new 2018 Toyota truck has CD/AM/FM It also has Bluetooth and a port. It also doesn't have buttons for shifting it has regular shifter. Not having those things must just be something specific to make/model you bought.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Man I just came back from "camping" with my best friend who has a girlfriend with a fifth wheel RV. We were at a State park-It was real nice but I was struck by all the people with 70-80K trucks to tow a 40-80K RV. You could stay at 5 star hotels for cost, but I get it-people stay outside and socialize, enjoy walking, biking, water sports, etc. so it's like a hobby and social group because you have a common bond and make friends from all over. I see the appeal, but it's an expensive hobby it seems. I guess drumming or any hobby can be-I'm not dissing their choice, like I say I really enjoyed it, just I'd rather go more primitive and more isolated-the parks are crowded. But to haul one of those monsters you need a big truck which get expensive fast and generally aren't fuel efficient.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
Man I just came back from "camping" with my best friend who has a girlfriend with a fifth wheel RV. We were at a State park-It was real nice but I was struck by all the people with 70-80K trucks to tow a 40-80K RV. You could stay at 5 star hotels for cost, but I get it-people stay outside and socialize, enjoy walking, biking, water sports, etc. so it's like a hobby and social group because you have a common bond and make friends from all over. I see the appeal, but it's an expensive hobby it seems. I guess drumming or any hobby can be-I'm not dissing their choice, like I say I really enjoyed it, just I'd rather go more primitive and more isolated-the parks are crowded. But to haul one of those monsters you need a big truck which get expensive fast and generally aren't fuel efficient.
I don't camp that way, either. Actually, I just don't camp. I'm in hotels most of the time. I've been on too many forced camping trips with the family since I was a kid. I've had enough ;)
Old 05-08-2018, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

May I cut in?

Greatest incentive I have for camping over motel\hotel: bedbugs.....

I don't necessarily camp, but the idea of bringing my own bed with me sounds really attractive....lol.

Disclaimer: no way I could afford a 60 to 80k "anything" let alone 5 star accommodations....lol.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
May I cut in?

Greatest incentive I have for camping over motel\hotel: bedbugs.....

I don't necessarily camp, but the idea of bringing my own bed with me sounds really attractive....lol.

Disclaimer: no way I could afford a 60 to 80k "anything" let alone 5 star accommodations....lol.
That could be a concern as well, but I've been lucky so far on trips to Italy and within my resort network.