Gretsch Renown Purewood Oak kit!

adam!

** New pics, scroll down...
I've had this kit for a while, just now getting around to posting it. If you don't know much about the Purewood series, every ply is the wood that's specified. I traded my DW kit into Fork's in Nashville for this baby. So far, I can really tell a difference in sound compared to my old DW's.They have better highs and lows, are more warm and defined, and with the diecast hoops, a lot more attack if I need it. I've really been interested in trying something outside of the maple/birch worlds to find my sound, and I believe I've found it. Anybody who's played one of these kits knows how amazing they are. I threw on an Evans retro-screen on the bass and it's perfect. Because oak seems to resonate so much, I didn't lose too much with the effect of having no reso. All the rest of the heads I've kept original so far and love them (clear G2's over G1's, snare coated G1 over 300 hazy).
8x10, 9x12, 14x14, 16x16, 18x22, 6 1/2x14 snare:
S5030713.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0316.JPG
The finish is beautiful, and the sound even more incredible. The trick is for me to play them as well as they look and sound!
Also, totally different set up pics with remote hi-hat to come soon...

Last edited:
That is one of the best looking drum sets I have ever seen. VERY nice!

Very nice indeed. I have maple Renowns but that looks like furniture. Very nice. Where did you find the mesh bass drum head. That looks interesting.

Where did you find the mesh bass drum head. That looks interesting.
There are a few places that sell them; I ended up buying mine from Amazon.
What's so cool about this head is that it gives the effect of that 60's and 70's sound of having no resonant head, while keeping your shell in round. I just tensioned it until it didn't have that floppy look. Another benefit is you can mic anywhere around the drum you want (as opposed to dealing with an offset port hole). From behind the kit, I was hearing more slap and not as much thud as I wanted until I had a drummer friend play it. Out front it's crushing... Plenty of low in the mix!

I doubt you'll need to change those heads. Just about the perfect live combo imo, except maybe for recording, a change to G2 or G1 coated. Lovely looking kit.

Definitely no need to change them! And thank you!

Thats definately a keeper. Very beautiful.
I'd like the Yamaha Oak Customs as much if they came with gaskets on the lugs and BD claws (like yours clearly has) to protect the beautiful oak finish.
Thats just a pet peeve of mine, but its a big one for me.

Do (or did) they make the Gretsch Renown Purewood Oak in different finishes (like Red Oak)?.

Oak is a very hard wood, so they should be bright and loud, North America's version of Bubinga.
Indeed ... and so with the Yamaha Oaks ... and these Gretsch Purewoods ... great drums for live, loud, gigs. And with Gretsch running limited production on all the purewood kits (so far) ... almost a built in collectable/higher resale value boost.
Very pretty drums.....​

Thanks Harry. Here are a few more pics you may like...
After some indirect suggestion from Harryconway and Deathmetalconga, and the influences of Bill Bruford and Danny Carey, I picked up a Pearl RH-2000 remote hi-hat. I wanted to arrange a somewhat symmetrical setup to work more on my ambidexterity and try some open-handed playing as well. I added a couple mini-timbales and here is the result:
IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0327.JPG
Close-up showing how I attached the remote hi-hat, while still being able to access the rack toms.
IMG_0326.JPG

... and the influences of Bill Bruford and Danny Carey, I picked up a Pearl RH-2000 remote hi-hat. I wanted to arrange a somewhat symmetrical setup to work more on my ambidexterity and try some open-handed playing as well.
Indeed ... those are a couple of the guys I hold high on the list of "knowing what they're doing" ... I figure if I'm gonna steal...ah ... borrow ideas ... then borrow from the best ....

Back