Help with my Kickdrum please

Jazz Footworks

Aloha, I am very new to drumming. I have been practicing since late last year and I have a DDrum D2 drum set and it sounds "good" but I know it can sound better. I like my Kickdrum to sound buff, very deep and the Kickdrum sound I have now is very bassy, like ultra bassy. I have an "Aquarian Super-Kick III Black Drumhead 22" as my Batter head and I have left open the front completely open from using a tip from a youtube video. It helps but the sound it gives off is really bassy with added rumble, sounds like an 808 from where I am playing. Sounds like shit really lol. I want a warm kick with quick release of sound ...."punchy" I guess. Maybe like this for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gq8M9w2Wwc .I've experimented tuning my Kickdrum many many many times, don't know what how to get a good sound I even tried muffling it by putting a folded towel inside the drum away and against the batter and it sounds waaaaay too muffled making it have no life to it. I don't want to buy another kick drum, I know I can make something workout. Please help :) ~William

Added to my kit so far:
Meinl HCS 14" Hi-Hat Cymbals
60's Vintage Whitehall 13 1/2" Snare Drum
no new Cymbals or Toms....yet

Evans emad2 and the eqpads gave me the sound i wantes after experimenting with them a bit.

Theyre pretty cool since unlike a pillow/blanket/... They stick inside your kick with the added velcro.

sounds like u need the right reso head, i would match your superkick with a ported aquarian regulator reso. matches a superkick perfectly to my ears. you might not need any muffling with these heads as they have a ring built in, but i put 1 cheap 5.00 pillow from wallmart in eack of my kicks and they sound great.

Not sure I completely understand. You "left the front completely open"? You mean that you've left it un-damped? Or do you mean that there is no real head at all? Both of these ate pretty bad choices. I said this before without any credence from others on this site, but you need something inside the bass drum. My guess is the "rumbling" you refer to is the reso head tuned low and un-damped. Put acoustic foam 2 1/2"-4" thick inside (preferably gray or black). Do not put a pillow, blanket, towel or anything else from the linen closet inside your drum. The idea is to tailor the size of the material to your specific needs. Start with the depth, of the drum is 18" deep, cut the foam 18 1/4 - 18 1/2. You want it to lightly touch both heads but not over dampen. For length start with 1/3 of the inside circumference. If this is too much, cut it down a little. Not enough, cut a piece a little longer and start over. Also tune that flappy reso a bit higher and tune the batter to lowest possible pitch (LPP). Try to remember that the d2 is not a great drum or even a good drum. If you can get a good sound from it then it's a win. Good luck.

As I understand you have no resonant head on there? if so, get one, or put the original one back on. Tighten it. This gives the kick resonance, that can be tailored. Punchy is gotten by a tight reso, but that will also give more "boom", so dampen accordingly as per previous post.

The Aquarian Superkick is already a dampened batter, no need to bother with that one.
If you're getting a flappy sound on your reso can try felt strips.

Even a cheap bass drum can sound OK.

Powerstroke Pro batter and Ambassador reso will give a muffled deep sound with quick response, I'm wondering what depth your bass drum is though. I wouldn't use that combo on anything over 16" deep. A 14" or even 12" depth will give a very quick response.I'd say experiment a bit but these days there is no need to put anything inside your bass drum.

I use Evans EQ-4 batter, a batter patch of some unknown material (Kevlar perhaps), an EQ pillow inside, and a resonant head (Remo for some unknown reason).

I also use the plastic side of the kick pedal and not the felt side for a solid hit/thump.

On an older set I used to keep the resonant head off for a while with a blanket inside. The mice loved it. So, then I carved a hole in it and ran a 2 rings of painters tape on the outside edges of the resonant head and along the hole edges. On the kick side I used painters tape and ran another 2 rings on around the edges. Plus a batter patch. It sounded okay but it looked homebrew.

EQ4, slam pad, with plastic side of beater is exactly what I use. I love the power I get from it.

I use Evans EQ-4 batter, a batter patch of some unknown material (Kevlar perhaps), an EQ pillow inside, and a resonant head (Remo for some unknown reason).

I also use the plastic side of the kick pedal and not the felt side for a solid hit/thump.

On an older set I used to keep the resonant head off for a while with a blanket inside. The mice loved it. So, then I carved a hole in it and ran a 2 rings of painters tape on the outside edges of the resonant head and along the hole edges. On the kick side I used painters tape and ran another 2 rings on around the edges. Plus a batter patch. It sounded okay but it looked homebrew.

An sk2 is a great head. No need to change that. It sounds like you have no reso head at all (back to the 70's). Get an aquarian regulator with an offset hole on it , nothing on the inside of the kick , and try various tension combos between the 2.

An sk2 is a great head. No need to change that. It sounds like you have no reso head at all (back to the 70's). Get an aquarian regulator with an offset hole on it , nothing on the inside of the kick , and try various tension combos between the 2.

I have this exact combination. Exactly the sound I was looking for and have received many compliments on my bass drum sound.

Back