Are there IHOP's in Europe?

I just might try your suggestion, one must keep an open mind. Thin pancakes, (crepe-like?) with lemon juice and sugar. Powdered sugar? Seems like granulated would make for a sandy mouth feel.

You're overthinking it, Larry, and it's just going to mess with your groove. Just do it. They're yummy. My preference is lemon and honey, though.

The best pancake chain I've experienced in the U.S. is the Original Pancake House. We have one in suburban Detroit that I visit a few times a year. http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/

They serve the lemon and sugar variety. It's a huge portion that fills a dinner plate and they call it the Dutch Baby. It's not a pancake in the traditional sense, but it's awesome.

php_dutch.jpg

A the Mayor pointed out, IHOP is not international because of it's locations, but because of it's attempt to offer international menu.

Crepes derive from french menus. German pancakes (i.e. potato pancakes). They used to (maybe still do) offer the thinner pancakes with lemon and sugar. Although I think over the years the international aspect became smaller and smaller aspect of the menu. The "international" aspect certainly is not what made the chain popular.

The best pancake chain I've experienced in the U.S. is the Original Pancake House. We have one in suburban Detroit that I visit a few times a year. http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/

They serve the lemon and sugar variety. It's a huge portion that fills a dinner plate and they call it the Dutch Baby. It's not a pancake in the traditional sense, but it's awesome.

php_dutch.jpg

Certainly puts the 'CAKE' in pancake...

In the UK we just have a simple breakfast really which usually consists of cereal or toast with orange juice or tea/coffee. Our cereal produce is also 90% whole grain. We don't really have any sugar-coated cereals (like in the US you guys have Froot Loops, Lucky Charms etc. etc.).
The sweetest cereal I've tried is called Krave which is like oat/wholegrain pillows with hazelnut chocolate in the centre. That's probably the sugariest thing we have as a cereal, haha!

But I'm very lucky if I have pancakes for breakfast. It's abit rare for us though I make them every couple of months. You guys are a little more sweetoothed than me. Again, I've been to US a good few times (maybe about 9 times). I've tried IHOP twice and the pancakes are great, but I make better homemade crepe's. Also, the I is definitely misleading. There aren't any IHOPS anywhere I've been outside of America. Alot of places in Europe don't even have a KFC and Italy doesn't have pizza hut (and I'm sure alot more countries won't either). We also don't have a single taco-bell or long john silvers.

Europe is way more healthier and balance diets better than America I think haha! We don't have many fast food places, apart from McDonalds in every street corner. But nobody really goes there, more people goto KFC or Burger King.

I have no idea Larry to be honest, but if you don't know where to go when you jumped that pond to Europe, be aware that I make excellent pancakes, no reservation bookings needed, the door will be open :))

Note to self: pancakes at MADs next time I just happen to find myself in Europe....

IHOP = International hangout of police

around here anyway.

F

Actually, that last one just closed. I guess the old saying is true...

here today... Guatemala.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
(the peanut gallery has spoken)

F

Naigewron, I think the American heavy breakfast comes from rural roots of farmers and laborers that wound need that heavy breakfast as fuel for the day.

We have farmers and labourers in Europe too, you know :p

But yeah, I can see where it's coming from, but if I ate a stack of American pancekes before heading to my desk job I wouldn't be able to start my day until noon :)

In the UK we just have a simple breakfast really which usually consists of cereal or toast with orange juice or tea/coffee. Our cereal produce is also 90% whole grain. We don't really have any sugar-coated cereals (like in the US you guys have Froot Loops, Lucky Charms etc. etc.).
The sweetest cereal I've tried is called Krave which is like oat/wholegrain pillows with hazelnut chocolate in the centre. That's probably the sugariest thing we have as a cereal, haha!

But I'm very lucky if I have pancakes for breakfast. It's abit rare for us though I make them every couple of months. You guys are a little more sweetoothed than me. Again, I've been to US a good few times (maybe about 9 times). I've tried IHOP twice and the pancakes are great, but I make better homemade crepe's. Also, the I is definitely misleading. There aren't any IHOPS anywhere I've been outside of America. Alot of places in Europe don't even have a KFC and Italy doesn't have pizza hut (and I'm sure alot more countries won't either). We also don't have a single taco-bell or long john silvers.

Europe is way more healthier and balance diets better than America I think haha! We don't have many fast food places, apart from McDonalds in every street corner. But nobody really goes there, more people goto KFC or Burger King.

I have to beg to differ - McDonalds in ALWAYS busy, where ever you go. KFC is definitely more niche, and neither offer the kind of breakfast stuff that McDs do (BK breakfast - blech!).

We also have the English Breakfast (bacon, sausage <not sausage patty, but actual sausage>, fried/scrambled eggs, mushrooms, black pudding, baked beans, toast) which the Americans pretty much do also, though instead of black pudding and beans you're more likely to get grits and hashbrowns or some such.

I wouldn't be sure about that, on either count. I think McDonalds is most certainly the market leader in fast food places in this country, otherwise they wouldn't be on every street corner ;) . Also I think the gap in how healthy (or unhealthy) we are compared to the states is narrower than you think, especially in scotland.

php_dutch.jpg

This is not a pancake - it's a cake (at least by Oz standards). My pancakes are about 5mm thick.

Who eats a whole cake for breakfast? Answer: very big people.

IHOP is about as international as the World Series, it would seem :)

LOL!! That was my first thought too. ;-)

This is not a pancake - it's a cake (at least by Oz standards). My pancakes are about 5mm thick.

Definitely. I have no idea what the hell that is Pol, and even less desire to find out.

Larry, we do have the Pancake Parlour here in Oz. Ate there once as a kid and still feeling it's effects 30+ years later. A greater serving of disgusting slop masquerading as a pancake, I've never seen. Truely horrible.

Like Pol, if we have them we make our own. My daughter loves 'em and I'm quite partial myself. Alas real maple syrup costs an arm and a leg here.....have to be content with the pretend stuff usually.

If I got to Europe (or any where else for that matter that's not the continental US), I'm not sure I'd be looking for American places to eat. I'd want the whole experience of eating different foods in different cultures (to a point, of course).

I do think IHOP is lying about being international, though.

pancakes in the UK are wht's known as crepes in France the thin variety that you smother in lemon and sugar and roll up, beautiful, but only eaten the day before Lent starts. We have scotch pancakes which are similar to the american pancake. Never been sure on that butterfat stuff you guys put on them though.

Because they are the best in the world. Granted they have no other competition, but the fact remains.

Back