Favourite rush album?

BlakeS

Hey, I dont know if this would be the right section but I'm looking to buy a rush or maybe 2 albums (depending on price), which ones are your favourites?

2112 and Moving Pictures. Actually, I might be tempted to substitute All The World's A Stage for 2112 because it has the best Neil Peart drum solo ever - back when he was a really energetic 23 year old.

I think I'll go for moving pictures from what i've seen so far, going to buy royal scam by Steely Dan too :) also maybe another police album if anyone has any recommendations?

Ditto on Exit Stage Left and Moving Pictures. Counterparts from '94 and the two latest ones are really good too.

I've ordered moving pictures now, may order another album later on :), any police recommendations apart from Reggatta De Blanc?

1.) Moving Pictures
2.) Exit...Stage Left
3.) Hemispheres
4.) A Farewell to Kings
5.) Permanent Waves
6.) 2112
7.) All the World's a Stage
8.) Fly By Night
9.) Signals
10.) Counterparts
11.) Snakes & ...Oh Heck...

They're ALL my favorite.

Definetly Permanent Waves, and probably moving pictures.. Perm waves is pure meat and potatoes Rush IMO

Another vote for Hemispheres. Great Album, last really proggy album by the band. Opening track is EPIC! La Villa Strangiato is great. Also, Gotta love those cheesy synth sounds from back then!

If you are just getting into Rush you might want to pick up one of the more recent live albums, like R30 or Rush in Rio... great live performances that are almost note-for-note what they play on the album, but drawn from their entire career. Then you can narrow down what part of their career you like best and focus on that first...?

If we're talking the essential studio albums you must own, then in order: Moving Pictures, 2112, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Power Windows.

Well it seem none prefer my RUSH favorite album, Although all of RUSH albums has some gems buried into them, I really dig "Hold Your Fire", every songs are good and when listening it bring me back to my 20s...

Here's "Hold Your Fire" songs line-up.

"Force Ten"
"Time Stand Still"
"Open Secrets"
"Second Nature"
"Prime Mover"
"Lock and Key"
"Mission"
"Turn the Page"
"Tai Shan"
"High Water"

Signals will always be my favorite, because that was the 1st Rush album I bought, and I never get tired of it.

But for a 1st time listener, 2112 and Moving Pictures are essential.

Permanent Waves and Signals are the next priority.

Caress of Steel is the only one that you can skip.

Oh yes! Subdivisions...just a brilliant song. And a great example of "The Professor" there.

Permanent Waves may just trump Moving Pictures for me. The song "Natural Science" embodies everything that made that band great.

Also, if you don't have the Grace Under Pressure tour DVD get it immediately. It has by far the most clear audio of Neal's playing, and it is well lit with many shots of him going nuts in his hey-day. They play lots of great old tunes and he goes for it--it's great! -far better than any other video of them live in my opinion.

Permanent Waves may just trump Moving Pictures for me. The song "Natural Science" embodies everything that made that band great.

When I was younger, Waves was great, but Moving Pictures had more of the hit songs, plus the epic "Vital Signs".

But as the years pass, I do agree Permanent Waves stands the test of time better.

Also, if you don't have the Grace Under Pressure tour DVD get it immediately. It has by far the most clear audio of Neal's playing, and it is well lit with many shots of him going nuts in his hey-day. They play lots of great old tunes and he goes for it--it's great! -far better than any other video of them live in my opinion.

I agree. I have all their videos, but the camera angles and lighting on Grace Under Pressure can't be topped.

I originally taped it off of MTV back in the day. I was so thrilled with it was finally released on DVD.

Back