PDP X7

i have a pdp mx.. its maple and its absolutely great! You get alot of great features like the stm mounts, dw style lugs and those awesome matte finishes that you can get! And of course your backed up by dw! I love mine and i think they are the best drums for the money in my opinion.

Have not played the X7 yet. But PDP is a great set. They are the "red-headed" step child of drums for lack of a better word. IMO

I have been playing the CX for a few years now and haven't had any problems with hardware or shell construction. If you want to hear how they sound recorded, check my myspace link and listen to "Lightning Comes". (i know, shameless plug) lol.

If I had to replace them with a like model, I would look for a used MX maple kit with a nice finish.

dont be lured by the extra peices and the glitter wraps, their a cheap mahogany shell that sounds - well like a cheap mahogany shell.
look at the FS series from PDP - birch shell, some very nice finishes, about the same money and they sound good.
good hunting!

I haven't ever played an X7 kit, but I have a 4 piece Platinum series kit. It's great.

dont be lured by the extra peices and the glitter wraps, their a cheap mahogany shell that sounds - well like a cheap mahogany shell.
Far as I know, they're 100% poplar shell made in Mexico.

Last edited:
My only other worry is the F.A.S.T shell sizes????!?!? what on earth does that mean, I have noticed the depth is less than the the skin width, I'm looking for quite a full, deep sound from my toms and I need to know if these F.A.S.T sizes will give me this - so far you tube vids are awful quality and i can't here what they really sound like.

Thanks for all the help.

oh dont i feel sheepish...
mr.conway is correct - Poplar shells on the X7 - i need to stop typing after 1 am!
my vote is still for the FS series though, one of PDP's nicest kits.
good luck man!

I have an older FS which I LOVE... but im PRETTY sure the X7 recently fot upgraded to birch. Check out the pdp website.

and also, if you look at thier logo... its actually pdp, not PDP.

The PDP website says nothing of the sort, it still claims 100% poplar

http://www.pacificdrums.com/x7/default.asp

Althought i read somewhere else that it was being sold as a poplar hybrid, a blend with a layer of either maple or birch, i can't recall.

If anyone has proof that the X7 is changing to birch, [other than this hybrid with the birch] it would be much appreciated, thanks, matt.

I am almost positive they are made of 100% poplar, however i just skimmed though that review and it did say the out layer was birch.
They are also made in China, not in mexico.
The platinums are the only PDP line that are made in mexico, (to my knowledge anyway)
I have played the X7's in a local music store, i was actually contemplating buying them...for the price i think they are one of the better sounding kits within in that price range. having said that, i decided i'd spend a little more, and opted for a 4 piece Platinum series. if you can hold of for a bit, i would. save up some money and go for the much better, smaller kit. you can always add on afterwards.
My kit came with a 22" bass, 12 tom, and a 16 floor tom... and having such a sweet and sneaky girlfriend, she and my parents went out and found me a 14" floor and a 10" rack tom...
so, what i'm trying to say is...
wait and get some platinums

My instructor used a X7 for lessons up until he got his SCMs, he lets the students play his DWs. I can't really fault the X7s, they're a fine choice if you want/need the pieces for that price range.

I am almost positive they are made of 100% poplar, however i just skimmed though that review and it did say the out layer was birch.
They are also made in China, not in mexico.
The platinums are the only PDP line that are made in mexico, (to my knowledge anyway)
I have played the X7's in a local music store, i was actually contemplating buying them...for the price i think they are one of the better sounding kits within in that price range. having said that, i decided i'd spend a little more, and opted for a 4 piece Platinum series. if you can hold of for a bit, i would. save up some money and go for the much better, smaller kit. you can always add on afterwards.
My kit came with a 22" bass, 12 tom, and a 16 floor tom... and having such a sweet and sneaky girlfriend, she and my parents went out and found me a 14" floor and a 10" rack tom...
so, what i'm trying to say is...
wait and get some platinums

I have a pdp mx and thats made in mexico too. Im pretty sure all cx, mx, and, lx are all made in mexico but now they are discontinued.

Far as I know, their 100% poplar shell made in Mexico.

Si. Hecho en Mexico..........
A kit in that price range, if maple, will be cheap maple. Does not even begin to approach real North American aged rock maple. But they are shiny!

Back