10 Best Drum Songs to Learn as a Beginner

Stevie Beginner

Greetings:

I just got my first drum set 3 days ago. I will begin taking lessons and my new instructor told me to list 10 songs I want to learn. Any tips? I like all kinds of music from pop, rock, classic rock, heavy metal, christian rock, jazz, hip hop, rap, etc. I have a standard 5 piece drum set with 2 cymbals (16" crash and 20" ride). Only a single bass drum pedal. I plan on picking up a double bass pedal next week or so.

Some easy songs, I can learn on my own, but I'd like to learn some songs that require that I master certain cool drumming techniques (e.g. hi hat, snare, rolls, fills, etc).

Which songs do you recommend? Thanks and rock on.

When I started back in 1988 I found ACDC,Bad Company,Foreigner,Genisis,Great White,Loverboy,Scorpions,The Eagles and ZZ Top had some pretty easy songs then you can go to Y & T, Thin Lizzy, Aerosmith,Van Halen,Slayer,Tesla,Queensryche and maybe Rush.
Listen and have fun.

1. Helpless- Neil Young (Slow beat, you never can go wrong, can be creative on chops)
2. Against the wind- Bob Seger- steady tempo
3. Gemme Shelter- Stones, steady but there is straight snare strokes
4. Eminence Front- Kenny Jones, The Who (If Keith were alive,I wouldnt pick this song!!)
4................... AC/DC songs

(well I am a beginner as well) :)

I'd go for some some songs that have some distinct drum fills in them that everyone can identify by drums alone, stuff like:

Tom Sawyer- Rush
In the Air Tonight- Genesis
Sunday Bloody Sunday- U2
Walk This Way- Aerosmith
Who are You- The Who
50 Ways to Leave your lover- Paul Simon
Warpigs- Black Sabbath
Run to the Hills- Iron Maiden
We're not gonna Take it- Twisted Sister
Higher Love- Peter Gabriel

ac/dc is pretty good for beginners but you only need to learn one soneg cuz they all sound the same lol. but also walk by pantera is a good one

a bit more modern.....

anything by the white stripes is easy to learn, and also you may know the tune to the songs, which helps!

the first stuff i started to learn was red hot chili peppers - californiacation and various stuff out of books.

hope you get some ideas but as has been said, the most important thing is that you enjoy it and actually want to learn the songs. thats what will keep your attention and keep you practicing.

Drums are great because of how quickly you come to realize how to play so many great drum beats.

Even with just a basic, beginner drum book like "Drumming for Dummies" you'll be playing songs in no time.

If you don't have a hi-hat stand and cymbals (you didn't list them in your post), get them way before your double bass pedal.

Working on your left foot with the hats is much more important than double-bass.

Back in Black - Ac/Dc
Billie Jean - Micheal Jackson

IMO Them Two Songs are great for a number of reasons:
1. A Real Steady Beat
2. Deep in the Pocket
3. Easy to Pick up and learn
4.Great to get you used to keeping time
5. Fun

haha tom sawyer is a mean song to throw at a beginner, theres 7 in that and that takes a little thinking about to do right in the early days of playing. I think he just needs the boom-chuck rock thats fun to listen to as long as you distract yourself from how droningly boring the drum parts are.

My favorites to play with back in middle school were:

The Shins.
The White Stripes.
The Strokes.
Easier Led Zeppelin (I learned how to play back dog in 9th grade and apart from the bell/snare/tom grove that would come around, (that took a few days of solid grinding on to get right) it was all nice and easy.

Another fun thing to do is local bands songs. They're usually pretty simple because a lot of the time they're just a couple guys having fun on a stage and they aren't trying to melt your mind with anything insane, just comfy grooving. You make good friends that way too.

Greetings:

I just got my first drum set 3 days ago. I will begin taking lessons and my new instructor told me to list 10 songs I want to learn. Any tips? I like all kinds of music from pop, rock, classic rock, heavy metal, christian rock, jazz, hip hop, rap, etc. I have a standard 5 piece drum set with 2 cymbals (16" crash and 20" ride). Only a single bass drum pedal. I plan on picking up a double bass pedal next week or so.

Some easy songs, I can learn on my own, but I'd like to learn some songs that require that I master certain cool drumming techniques (e.g. hi hat, snare, rolls, fills, etc).

Which songs do you recommend? Thanks and rock on.

I would try a Little Green Rosetta off Joe's Garage. Some guy named Viinnie C. Something or other, real steady no frills beat.

Just kidding of course, if this were drumming hell maybe.

I will tell you that anything with Steve Gadd I stay away from, Vinnie C of course.

My drum teachers favorite group of songs to learn for new drummers are the Eagles. Especially The Long Run.

Very fat, solid grooves. I think Don Henley was busy singing so he kept it simple but they still sound great.

Kind of off topic, but I'd strongly recommend against getting a double bass pedal so soon. Too much on your plate. First get comfortable and relatively good at single pedal before you make the switch. If you introduce it so soon in the game, you might become totally reliant on the double pedal to do fills and such (I've seen it happen to one of my buddies who took up drumming recently). Just, PLEASE take my advice and take it slow.

Kind of off topic, but I'd strongly recommend against getting a double bass pedal so soon. Too much on your plate. First get comfortable and relatively good at single pedal before you make the switch. If you introduce it so soon in the game, you might become totally reliant on the double pedal to do fills and such (I've seen it happen to one of my buddies who took up drumming recently). Just, PLEASE take my advice and take it slow.

Why do n00bs (no offense) want to do the double bass pedal? I never really wanted it, atleast not nearly this early. I've considered it after a year or so, but I realized you could probably learn more technique with the single pedal. It would impress people more if you really good with it too. Like Bonzo =D

I kinda like Bonzo a lot lol.

I think I read a quote somewhere once by Buddy Rich where he said something to the effect that if you're a bitch on the drums one pedal is more than enough. Sounds like something Buddy would say. I agree that getting a double pedal this early in the game may be counter productive. You want to concentrate on getting command of a standard kit. That alone will take enough of your time. I understand the fascination of a double pedal but I would hold off on that for now.

And I agree about AC/DC songs being good to work on. Also stuff by the Rolling Stones, Bad Company, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, etc. And yeah, take your time. You're not going to learn everything in a month. Playing drums is an ongoing learning experience. Build yourself a solid foundation and expand from there. Good luck

I'd go for some some songs that have some distinct drum fills in them that everyone can identify by drums alone, stuff like:

Tom Sawyer- Rush
In the Air Tonight- Genesis
Sunday Bloody Sunday- U2
Walk This Way- Aerosmith
Who are You- The Who
50 Ways to Leave your lover- Paul Simon
Warpigs- Black Sabbath
Run to the Hills- Iron Maiden
We're not gonna Take it- Twisted Sister
Higher Love- Peter Gabriel

as a beginner? are you serious? Stick to AC/DC. It's very reconizeable, and it's very simple, hardly any fiills, which beginners don't need to get to consumed with at first. It's all about the groove, no matter what genre.

I agree, stick to songs with a solid pocket. AC/DC is a great start. Try Kid Rock's "All Summer Long". Christian Rock, hmmmm. Try Third Day's new CD "Revelation". Take your time. Learn the rudiments but above all, have fun!

Peace

Back