Prog-Rock

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Progressive Rock-where is it popular these days and who are the big names in it?
Is it still as popular in Europe as it was in the seventies? I don't hear much (if any) in the USA on the radio.

Thanks I'll check them out.

Try Dream Theater or Coheed & Cambria.

Not much Prog anything on the radio here in the US other than Rush. The masses don't have the attention span for anything interesting and longer than 3-4 minutes.

Tool's almost seven minute "Schism" will get radio play often enough on a regular enough basis here in Detroit, but that's about it.

Oh yeah, try Tool, too.

If you are depending on radio to find good music, you will not find much. There are many so-called neo-prog bands out there.

Glass Hammer
IQ
Cairo
Proto Kaw
Neal Morse
Ajalon
Spock's Beard

Drum on!

In all these years, I have still not understood the definition of progressive rock vs. alternative rock. Can either of these become classic rock in the future? Isn't that what happened with groups like Yes and ELP?

In all these years, I have still not understood the definition of progressive rock vs. alternative rock. Can either of these become classic rock in the future? Isn't that what happened with groups like Yes and ELP?

Basically if you listen to a band who is always wandering outside of the classic verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus, then chances are it's a progressive band. Changing and different time signatures are a plus as well.

And yes, at some point all rock becomes classic rock, so long as it's old and people are still listening to it.

If you're looking for really odd stuff, there is a little underground genre that I love to be a part of called math rock. This may range from more calm stuff, with an indie/emo feel, to harder stuff, basing off of metal and experimental. Bands to look up are Tera Melos (very chaotic at times, with instrumental and vocal albums), The Fall of troy (heavier of the math genre, considered "mathcore"), Protest the Hero (melodic metal with very odd time signatures and crazy transitions), This Town Needs Guns (emo/indie/math), Minus The Bear (not so mathy, very relaxed), and of course, The Mars Volta/El Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez Lopez (groovy, with bits of orchestrated chaos). There are also a ton of math rock bands in Japan, which are super technical to the point where you would think its completely random if you are not ear trained to understand :p

Back